Southampton

cruz040864

Hubby and I are going on the 14 day roundtrip transatlantic from new york.  we will have time in Southampton.  What should we do in Southampton?  Is a visit to London to far?  We have no idea what to do, your suggestions will be of great help. THANK YOU.

Edited by cruz040864
  • Like 1

You'll have a wonderful time!

As a start, by train from Southampton Central, the cathedral cities of Salisbury (about 30 minutes away) and Winchester (under 20) are both filled with enough activities to keep you occupied all day, and still allow return to the ship in plenty of time.  

Portsmouth, where you'll find the remains of Henry VIII's great flagship the Mary Rose and Nelson's Victory, is an equally fascinating destination, less than an hour by train.  

Tour companies run daytrips to sites such as Stonehenge and Highclere, where Downtown Abbey was filmed.  And in Southampton itself there's the excellent SeaCity Museum, plus the West Quay shopping centre for last minute necessities.

London is huge, and as one of the world's great cities, cannot even be scratched in the time allotted. 

• Like 2

We were a bit disappointed in the ship’s tour to Winchester, as we could easily spent a few more hours sightseeing, but instead we were back onboard before lunch was finished.

There are some posts on this forum, and over in the “ports of call” section from John Bull with information about arranging transportation for do it yourself tours. 
We have two Southampton stops on next year’s cruise. Probably the first one we will try to meetup with Facebook friends in The Dancing Man for lunch and a pint or two.

The second visit is on a Saturday and we may try a DIY to Portsmouth and some of the historic sites.

On 10/5/2020 at 9:09 PM, exlondoner said:

Too much hassle to go to London. Stay in Southampton, which has the Sea City Museum, a good art gallery, a Tudor merchant's house, and other things. Also, enjoy the empty ship.

There is also a Solent Sky Aviation museum.  People often for get that Southampton has connections to the Flying Boats sending people to far flung destinations about the British Empire and the creation of the Supermarine aircraft which evolved into the Spitfire.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

As a start, by train from Southampton Central, the cathedral cities of Salisbury (about 30 minutes away) and Winchester (under 20) are both filled with enough activities to keep you occupied all day, and still allow return to the ship in plenty of time.  
Portsmouth, where you'll find the remains of Henry VIII's great flagship the Mary Rose and Nelson's Victory, is an equally fascinating destination, less than an hour by train.  
Tour companies run daytrips to sites such as Stonehenge and Highclere, where Downtown Abbey was filmed.  And in Southampton itself there's the excellent SeaCity Museum, plus the West Quay shopping centre for last minute necessities.
London is huge, and as one of the world's great cities, cannot even be scratched in the time allotted. 

Yes, take the ship’s tour to Stonehenge

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On 10/5/2020 at 10:12 PM, Brindlebury said:

That’s early good info for anyone stoping in Southampton......London to far for a day trip

10 hours ago, Rocky of London said:

That’s early good info for anyone stoping in Southampton......London to far for a day trip

Its not that London is too far, it's that it is too much worry and hassle. Just over an hour on the train, if you can start early, it's an easy day trip, with time to see a gallery or two and have a nice lunch. But not if you have to be back by mid-afternoon to catch a ship you absolutely can't afford to miss. That is the path to anxiety and anguish. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2020 at 3:54 PM, cruz040864 said:

Hubby and I are going on the 14 day roundtrip transatlantic from new york.  we will have time in Southampton.  What should we do in Southampton?  Is a visit to London to far?  We have no idea what to do, your suggestions will be of great help. THANK YOU.

I am doing this also(in October 2021). Exactly how much time do we have in Southampton? Is it a walkable town/city? Does QM2 sponser a few excursions to choose from? Thanks.

1 hour ago, skleeb said:

I am doing this also(in October 2021). Exactly how much time do we have in Southampton? Is it a walkable town/city? Does QM2 sponser a few excursions to choose from? Thanks.

Cunard do offer trips to various places for those on round trips. 

Once you get into the city it is easy to walk around and you will have around 7 or 8 hours depending on when you get off the ship. 

• Like 2

Another option in Soton (which is how it's usually abbreviated) is a ferry over to the Isle of Wight.  Ferries leave from Town Quay, quite near where QM2 usually docks, and not far from the Mayflower cruise terminal.

I suggest the Red Funnel line to East Cowes, and then a short bus ride to Osborne House, Queen Victoria's summer palace.  Nice pub just across the road from the castle gates.

There is also a fast ferry to Cowes, across the river from East Cowes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skleeb said:

I started a response that get interrupted by my dinner, so I will try again. First Cunard sponsors a number of excursions. One is the Titanic Walking Tour of Southampton that starts at the ship and eventually ends up at the City Sea Museum, and includes admission to the museum. Southampton was the home port of the White Star Lines and many of the Titanic crew live there. 

It is a couple of miles walk through part of the old walled city and I had no problem doing it at 74 with good shoes. It passes the Westquay Shopping center about 3/4 of the way. You can walk back to the shopping center after visiting the Museum and there will be a Complementary Cunard bus back to the ship.

Other worthy excursions are to Stonehenge, Winchester, and even to Windsor Castle. If you have not been to Windsor, I would recommend it as the most interesting. 

A word of WARNING, because of the distances involved. make sure it is a Cunard Sponsored excursion. The ship will not leave if their excursions have not returned. I had this happen to me while on one, and saw it happen on another. You don't want to miss the boat. 

You can likely do these on your own, likely for a bit less money, but if you don't get back in time, You are in a world of hurt. 

• Like 1

I think Salisbury would be good - there is a lovely cathedral - in my view the finest in  Britain, as well as being one of the very few Gothic cathredals anywhere in Europe which is not fairly enclosed among town or city buildings— its surrounding monastery had been taken down, so it appears to rise magically from a grassy field.   Stonehenge is on a lot of people’s bucket list - ideally seen when very few others are there, because crowds seem to dilute its primitive majesty .  It might be good to do your out-of-town thing first, to ensure getting back to Southampton in time - and if you do get back early enough it is great for just a wander-about - with a possible stop at that ?-Quay Mall to pick any missing items.

15 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

Yes West Quay has pretty much every kind of shop you could want.  This includes a bottle or two to take back on board.

The High street near West Quay also has several mobile phone shops from the various UK brands, in case you want to get a SIM for your phone for voice and data access. (Less expensive than roaming.).  Also worth a stop is the Red Lion pub, which dates back to the 15th/16th centuries, and is along the High street between the cruise terminals and shopping area.

On 11/26/2020 at 6:22 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

We loved the Red Lion Pub and would visit it again.   Is the Spitfire Museum still in operation?   My husband loved looking at the old planes and the exhibits.

Yes, it is called Solent Sky, and typically shows up on a Google map.  Not far from a bunch of good restaurants on Oxford Street.  Incidentally, not just Spits; many of the old Imperial Airways flying boats were built in or near Soton, and they have one or two on display.

On 11/28/2020 at 6:40 PM, rsquare said:

Yes, it is called Solent Sky, and typically shows up on a Google map.  Not far from a bunch of good restaurants on Oxford Street.  Incidentally, not just Spits; many of the old Imperial Airways flying boats were built in or near Soton, and they have one or two on display.

Amazing, I think it well might be a walking trip from the Ocean Terminal, assuming QM2 docks there. I have a day in Southampton on my July 2021 and August 2022 voyages from Hamburg to NYC. I am a nut for planes as well as boats and trains. Thank you for the information.

In South Western House, formerly the South Western Hotel, where many passengers stayed before embarking, then the Cunard offices, now a block of flats, there is a café on the ground floor. I can remember the name, but there a nice Cunard connection, and it's a splendid building. Somewhere for a cup of coffee. It's more or less opposite the Dock Gate.

8 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Can we walk to the Red Lion from the cruise terminal?

It all depends where the ship docks. Ocean terminal is the closest and is possible but QE11 and Mayflower terminals

are further away especially Mayflower.

Edited by majortom10

6 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Can we walk to the Red Lion from the cruise terminal?

According to Google maps it is 0.6 miles from Ocean Terminal to The Red Lion, use the route below (hopefully it copies across OK).

Close to the Red Lion there is a spired St Michaels church in the historical district which is worth a stroll around, its not  a very large area (turn right out of the Red Lion up to Bernard Street and turn left, the church is the red dot on map near to Tudor House museum). Also in the area is the Mayflower Memorial which is opposite Mayflower Park (red dot under Merchant House wording).

image.thumb.png.91390949c6ab1c25a93671cddc5aa381.png