The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

29 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Could be because it’s hidden! Fascinating reading this thread. 
Gradually loosing the will to live, I need something to take my mind off the idiots in this world. CA

That's how I feel these days occasionally - turning into sometimes, could progress to frequently.

This is the place to come to relax.

notamermaid

17 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Is the vine actually on abbey grounds? I can’t find it.

No, more "at the bottom of the hill right in town" if I remember the map correctly, kind of where the former town wall is I think.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

No - Melk? We missed it there too, I guess.

Melk indeed! I will post a photo later to show it.

The prize of next photo is yours. ☺️ 

10 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Check - Haus en Stein. CA

Haus am Stein is the name, yes. A building dating from the end of the 15th century, and the vine is said to be several hundred years old. A survivor of the "insect epidemic" (my words) that wiped out many of the vines in the area and elsewhere around the year 1900.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Correction

Our guide took us down to the town from the abbey, we had nice walk round, a really pleasant place. She stopped at the house and showed us the vine. I went up some of the steps and zoomed in a bit to get a photo of the sign. It is a private house, former home of a painter around 1900, details are here: http://www.melk.gv.at/en/Tourism/theme_ways/The_Red_Thread/Circuit_route/2_-_Haus_am_Stein

I haven't got my own photo of the building, so here is one from Melk official pages: http://www.melk.gv.at/system/web/GetImage.ashx?fileid=1385775&mode=T&width=1100&height=800&cts=1536576785

notamermaid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, jklc123 said:

Gallo -Román Museum, Lyon, Rhône River ?

Yes, too easy I guess. The shot was taken from the Roman amphitheater. 

The museum has a great design where you walk in from the top and gradually make your way down a spiral ramp. You can exit from the lower level into the amphitheater. The windows in the hillside (pictured) look out from the lower levels of the museum, into the amphitheater. 

Here is the opposite view from the one I posted. I'm in one of the windows, looking out.

726733457_CCPic30a.thumb.jpg.ed8cf17d0b565aac9da15e66c2a90220.jpg

Your turn!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

We regret not taking time to visit the museum. So much to see in Lyon.

Here's the next one, taken on a short hike from a popular port, just after a rain shower.

Country, port and river (not the river in the photothumbnail.jpeg.d3b6e6a39cfbb92eb5673eedcc82f1c2.jpeg

• Like 3

jpalbany -- I thought it might be the one you described. As it was a special holiday, we ended up with a local holiday celebration of live music, gifts, food and sparklers before boarding the coach back to the ship.

• Like 1

I see more hints are needed, although I know jpalbany knows where this is. Here is another photo from the hike,  above a river about to overflow its banks, a river that joins two others at the port where our ship is docked. Signing out for the night, but I imagine I will see the correct answer in the morning.

thumbnail-3.jpeg

10 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Passau?

on the mighty Danube, if it is correct. I was wondering if it is, but I really do not recognize the angle in the first photo. Is it a bridge over the Ilz? Would like to know which vantage point that photo was taken from.

notamermaid