The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Because it’s been quiet here and I have a gap in my work schedule, I’ll post something.  
Name where this wall is located. I included the blurry close up because I find the subject quite dapper.
Building, city, river. 

9A7C9E71-92A8-48F6-8558-765769ED481F.jpeg

E9903445-44C7-4352-BB7F-6D7718DC25C0.jpeg

I'm embarrassed to say I'm not even sure I get your joke?  Is it a joke?  Is that a count?  Is it 1812?  It's too blurry for me to read.

I have a lot of pictures of random artwork of faces I find interesting.  Not sure why they grab me.  As to who painted it, or usually even who they are, I usually have no clue.  If you do know, I'd love to know who the man is.

Edited by ljandgb

Certainly a lot of decoration on important shoulders. What weight might they have carried? I have no idea where this is or who they are, but it is not the battle at Leipzig, that was 1813.

They look European, but not Southern that much. Something to do with the Habsburgs? I know a wide guess, they were kind of everywhere in Europe.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, ljandgb said:

Is that a count?  Is it 1812?  It's too blurry for me to read.

Yes, he is a Count. 🙂 This particular gallery commemorates the war of 1812. 

If I correctly recall, all of these portraits were painted by the same artist with the help of his two assistants.

Well then, that makes sense.  Thank you!  All of the portraits are very similar, which I think is one of the reasons it struck me.  The whole wall is of the same scale and style.  Interestingly, the picture frames seem set into the wall a bit, also.

8 hours ago, capriccio said:

We were living in Belgium in the mid-90s and our kids attended an international school run by English nuns.  One of the joys of going to school in Europe was the wonderful field trips and sports competitions that our kids experienced.  In middle school not only did our daughter read Anne Frank, the class did a couple of days field trip to Amsterdam where they met with Miep Geis (who was in her mid-80s at the time) who hid Ann Frank and saved her diaries.  She had met with the middle school class for years due to some relationship (which I've forgotten) with the order of nuns.

What an amazing experience your kids had! I am sure they still remember that to this day. I worry that some of today's students will think that the 40's was "really long ago and would never happen today". I was surprised when in Europe last time in 2018 that I saw articles about a movement of people who didn't believe WWII happened. When I came home, I found out there are people here who also think that.

58 minutes ago, Coral said:

I was surprised when in Europe last time in 2018 that I saw articles about a movement of people who didn't believe WWII happened. When I came home, I found out there are people here who also think that.

That are probably the same people who believe the Earth is flat 🙄.

Theo

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ljandgb said:

I have a lot of pictures of random artwork of faces I find interesting.  Not sure why they grab me.  As to who painted it, or usually even who they are, I usually have no clue.  If you do know, I'd love to know who the man is.

Here you go: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Witte_Ivan_Osipovich.jpg

In my youth as a technical illustrator and before the extensive use of computers I worked for a company that developed and built satellites. We had a visit (for what reason I cannot remember) from a world famous science fiction author who it turned out was a member of ‘The Flat Earth Society’, weird or what. Given the chance I’d go into space tomorrow.

I suppose this wall could depict the officers in the Battle of Boridino so Russia and the Moscow area is my wild guess. CA

Edited by Canal archive

Looks dashing, the gentleman. Those uniforms must have looked splendid on the ballroom floor. Sigh, the days when people would dress up for the occasion. All that brass and costume is immortalised in the great German film "Der Kongress tanzt" from 1931. Its story takes place during the Congress of Vienna.

notamermaid