The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

3 minutes ago, NewCruiser2016 said:

Time for another Wildcard!

Thank you. A pity, though, I was looking forward to a photo contribution from a trip from you.

But, it is an opportunity for someone recently joined in the thread to show us where they have travelled on a river cruise or land trip to a river.

@Ritabob if your technical difficulties are resolved, here is your chance. 🙂 

notamermaid

1 hour ago, NewCruiser2016 said:

Notamermaid, you convinced me.

Good. :classic_smile: Wasn't my intention but it worked to produce a most opulent contribution.

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

Looks like a dining area, but I think I would have a hard time eating there as I would be looking at the ceiling all the time!

Yes, I would normally call such a place "fine dining" but in this case it would be more "distracted dining" for me as well.

Daisi, spot on with Vienna then. I was swaying between Vienna and Budapest. No idea what the place is. Not a rotunda, but an octagon, with medallions and garlands depicting who? There is an LED screen, I think, in the center arch of this photo, I doubt it shows football matches... Perhaps this is part of a larger complex with info for visitors on said screen.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

Isn't there a famous old coffee shop in Vienna, that was popular with famous writers back in the day?   Reminds me of that place.

Yeah, that could be. There are at least three where the writers almost lived rather than just having the occasional cup of coffee. It is not the Café Central.

Daisi, I still think it it part of a larger complex, but I also like the café idea. But it is not the Opera House "ante-room for coffee or dinner" (my words).

I think we must be close to the answer.

notamermaid

Dogs4fun, you are correct. The photo is the Cafe in the Kunsthistoriches Museum. Your turn now. The photo was taken in December -- the Cafe had been set up for a special holiday dinner. Here is another picture, looking down at the Cafe from a higher floor of the Museum. Of course, the Museum and its architecture are spectacular any time of year, but it was particularly special during the holiday season.

5D8EC06C-9467-4C24-BB2B-120683ACA3B8_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh, my goodness. What an amazing place, even more in winter it seems. Did not think to look at museums! Got to see this if I ever get to Vienna again. Should take a night sleeper and go as soon as possible... Currently, just about manage to get to the hills 10km away - but that is for another thread.

Museums, that reminds me of my Christmas trip to England in 2015, the National Gallery decked out with Christmas trees. Loved it. Perhaps I will show some photos round at the water cooler.

16 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Good job @dogs4fun.  Can you go online to find a pic to post?  You are so good at getting the answers,, it would be nice for you to have us guessing.  

Yes, would like to guess where dogs4fun has been. Not sure if there are no copyright issues that CC might point out if we download photos for the quiz? Should not but you never know...

notamermaid

Okay, this one should not be too difficult ... picture was taken during a land visit but this can be seen on a popular river cruise. I left some clues in the photo. 

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place/river. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

MIK_edit.jpg

It looks a bit like a theme park mix of buildings. Flat landscape, so I reckon the Netherlands?

Not Keukenhof probably, too far from huge buildings, if I am right. Wonder if these are the outskirts of Amsterdam in the background?

notamermaid

3 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

It looks a bit like a theme park mix of buildings. Flat landscape, so I reckon the Netherlands?

Correct. It is, indeed, a mix of buildings that make up this citadel.

Not the Netherlands though.

@Daisi your photos are lovely. 

If you are interested in visiting a Viennese Café with an incredibly opulent interior & storied past, I highly recommend Café Central. It was the Viennese intellectual’s meeting place back in the day. Famous patrons included Freud, Adler, Herzl & Trotsky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @dogs4fun, I do have some flagged on the maps, but our time in Vienna may be short as we are doing two tours that day.  I am keeping a lot for if and when we return though.

I'm thinking by the looks on the "windows" on the blue roof, and the building in front of the windmill you are somewhere in Asia...

16 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Not Keukenhof probably, too far from huge buildings, if I am right. Wonder if these are the outskirts of Amsterdam in the background?

notamermaid

Madurodam miniatures park outside of the Hague?  It's been 25 years since we were there so I'm not sure.

10 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Madurodam miniatures park outside of the Hague?  It's been 25 years since we were there so I'm not sure.

9 minutes ago, capriccio said:

If true it would be an excursion from Amsterdam (Rhine River).

Sorry dogs4fun - I was writing as you posted that it wasn't the Netherlands.  Anyone looking for future excursions in the Netherlands, I highly recommend Madurodam:  https://touristeyes.com/madurodam-miniature-park-in-the-hague/#Photo_Tour_of_Madurodam_Park