The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Not too worry. Thanks for all the info. After all, we do not just want to reminisce, we also want to plan future trips and we need lots to know beforehand. Apart from having tons of time to "beat to death", as we say in German, or kill as you would say, till we can fly, driver sail to our heart's content.

Okay, so does anybody know the fork and I think we still need the name of the bridge for you to declare the winner?

notamermaid

I was ready to declare Jazzbeau winner last night until I reread his post.  Who ever wants to post the next pic, just need the full name of the river that runs through West Glacier, MT. As for the bridge, the historic Amtrak depot has the same name. 

It's not the N fork. A pic of the N fork from Huckleberry Mtn overlook, looking W.

20200705_114801.jpg

2 hours ago, deec said:

I had forgotten all about that series of books!!!

When we can we hope to take a road trip to see Glacier!  Debating about renting an RV!!!

We take our 5th wheel camper and then explore the park in our pickup. Got a little tight with 4 kids, but now two are out of the house. 

Best campground is the West Glacier KOA but books up early. Last year it was the end of October, this year we called early Oct and they were already booked up except the last week of Sept 2021 before they close.  Park campgrounds are great, but no hookups and only a few take reservations. 

Just going to chime in for deec and say that an RV is not the best way to see Glacier.  The only road across the park is narrow, twisty, height limited in some places, and turn out parking can be limited.  Either tow a camper with your vehicle or tow a run around car with your RV.

Belton bridge over the Flathead?  We rafted under it 2 summers ago.

Edited by ljandgb
  • Thanks 1

So are we doing any river now, or ones that are navigable by river boats?  Just wanting to check on how things are going, as that river looks like a raft river.  I don't mind, it's nice to see pics, but if we are opening it up to rivers, I think we better loosen up the identification rules, there are a lot of rivers.

Edited by Daisi

3 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

Just going to chime in for deec and say that an RV is not the best way to see Glacier.  The only road across the park is narrow, twisty, height limited in some places, and turn out parking can be limited.  Either tow a camper with your vehicle or tow a run around car with your RV.

Belton bridge over the Flathead?  We rafted under it 2 summers ago.

You're close enough for me.  Middle Fork of the Flathead River and yes Belton Bridge.

Thanks for chiming in on Glacier. I was going to mention and forgot about a roads. 

Your turn.

I fell in love with Glacier on that trip.  It's my favorite place in the US.  I should have been there in July, after snagging a coveted Granite Park Chalet reservation.  Hopefully I'll be able to do the same for this coming July.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place/river. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

P1010097.JPG

34 minutes ago, Daisi said:

So are we doing any river now, or ones that are navigable by river boats?  Just wanting to check on how things are going, as that river looks like a raft river.  I don't mind, it's nice to see pics, but if we are opening it up to rivers, I think we better loosen up the identification rules, there are a lot of rivers.

Good that you say that, Daisi. I was giving sturmin a bit of space to roam as they made thing clear that they are deviating from the rules. But I actually prefer to stick to the original idea of rivers and large canals for potential sailing on proper ships or an excursion nearby. If that is alright with everyone. Too many rivers make it too complicated.

Thank you again for mentioning it.

Edit: I think the general rivers and holiday fun could be shared at the water cooler that jazzbeau has set up if he does not mind. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added suggestion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lgandgb, that is an unusual pond. A dog chasing three ducks, it somewhat looks as if it should have a special meaning, like a children's story or fairy tale. I wonder if the Asian-looking young man points us to the location or is a tourist that has travelled far? I have certainly no idea where this might be.

notamermaid

Lovely, I am sure he had fun with that fountain, it is appealing, quite intriguing even for adults I find. Several fountains, hmm, is that like a cascade or several on one level near each other? Either of which would point to perhaps a complex like a theme park or palace grounds. The basin walls look a bit too old to be in a recent theme park.

notamermaid

That's it, Daisi wins.  I could have spent much longer on those grounds.  Really a beautiful place, with fountains ranging from awe inspiring "a king lives here" to whimsical.

This can be done on a Volga river cruise (though it looks like it's the Svir you take to get to SPB.  We were on a Baltic cruise.

Edited by ljandgb

17 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Edit: I think the general rivers and holiday fun could be shared at the water cooler that jazzbeau has set up if he does not mind. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

Or maybe a whole new thread?  It could be interesting to see areas around where we all come from, as we all love to travel.  I know this board is for cruising, but if we had an off topic thread where we add pics in for things to see in our own back yards it can get us travelling virtually all around the world.

It looked interesting. 

Ok, back to rivers that the boats cruise on, although this is one that is a very common excursion.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place/river. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

DSC03243.JPG

8 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Or maybe a whole new thread?  It could be interesting to see areas around where we all come from, as we all love to travel.  I know this board is for cruising, but if we had an off topic thread where we add pics in for things to see in our own back yards it can get us travelling virtually all around the world.

Yeah, that sounds interesting. Something like "travels in our "back yard" - rivers and other places"?

Question is would that be alright with the rules of CC @Host Jazzbeau  or should we just talk about it at the water cooler?

notamermaid

• Like 1

Those roofs are so artistic. It is similar to the one in Beaune and looks as if it should also be very old. The window with the middle pillar is probably Renaissance or even Medieval. But where could it be? Is the tower housing a spiral staircase?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Grammar

5 hours ago, Daisi said:

Ok, back to rivers that the boats cruise on, although this is one that is a very common excursion.

Nice pic! I was convinced that this was a place I'd seen in Bamberg, but my photos don't match up. And given that you were on the Rhine, wrong river. So, now I'm not sure...

23 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I agree.

We have a water cooler on the Silversea thread. It's in 5 parts and is well over 25000 posts. We share jokes, talk about food, and non-cruise trips. We are way overdue for part six.

The only rule is that nothing is off-topic. I'd be happy to see the river cruise Cooler run along those same lines. IMO, easier to just chat about any and everything there, rather than have multiple other threads. What do others think? 

Edited by jpalbny

8 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Nice pic! I was convinced that this was a place I'd seen in Bamberg, but my photos don't match up. And given that you were on the Rhine, wrong river. So, now I'm not sure...

I agree.

We have a water cooler on the Silversea thread. It's in 5 parts and is well over 25000 posts. We share jokes, talk about food, and non-cruise trips. We are way overdue for part six.

The only rule is that nothing is off-topic. I'd be happy to see the river cruise Cooler run along those same lines. IMO, easier to just chat about any and everything there, rather than have multiple other threads. What do others think? 

Thanks @jpalbny.  I'm enjoying showing pics that are making all of you 'seasoned" cruisers have to think.  I didn't think I would have much, as we have only done the one cruise.  

I'm game for the off-topic post, or a sub post about travels in our back yard.  It's really up to Jazzbeau, as he is the one who has to look after it. 🙂  I would love to see pics from areas where people live, or tours that they have taken.  

Thanks for the photo, Ritabob. More of that roof, more great windows - and ornate pillars and old archways! Love the building, but I still have no clue where this is. Or perhaps, I will give it a try to narrow it down. Daisi, as you say it is the Rhine, I think I will say it does not look Northern, but not really Alsace or Black Forest either. Not really the Middle Rhine, I think I would have noticed such a roof and place on my travels. Is this South of Speyer?

Perhaps this helps others, or Ritabob remembers...

notamermaid

1 minute ago, Daisi said:

Thanks @jpalbny.  I'm enjoying showing pics that are making all of you 'seasoned" cruisers have to think.  I didn't think I would have much, as we have only done the one cruise.  

I'm game for the off-topic post, or a sub post about travels in our back yard.  It's really up to Jazzbeau, as he is the one who has to look after it. 🙂  I would love to see pics from areas where people live, or tours that they have taken.  

Yes, really would like to hear from jazzbeau. Either a topic thread about travels or talk at the water cooler where we chat about travels and everything and nothing, i.e. without any rules. I tend towards doing it all at the water cooler. And keeping the quiz for the "intense brain work".

We have long dark evenings to fill, better to turn to the water cooler and have fun than to let the television turn us into couch potatoes. Even the travel programmes and British crime series seem to be repeats these days, at least with me here.

notamermaid