Wine Anyone? What would you order if you could?

nini

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

My wife's vin ordinare is Menage a Trois. She usually picks it up at Costco or Trader Joe's.

Ha!. This brings back an experience from a past Princess cruise. DW and I were sharing a table with another couple (who were new to us) at dinner. I'd say were all in our early-mid 60's. I selected a 'Menage a trois' red wine , and mentioned that I'd always wanted to try a menage a trois. The man made no comment at all, he just sat there, but the lady was trying very hard to not break out laughing. Obviously, the wife knew something her husband didn't. My DW knew what was going on, and had a herd time not laughing, too.

The wine was very nice, if I remember correctly.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I hear you, but I pretty much limit it to when we have Thai style food.  Otherwise, I don't get excited over it on its own.

Coincidence.  We only drink Gewurtztraminer when we have takeout Pad Ki Mow from our fave Thai restaurant.

On 10/15/2020 at 10:07 AM, CineGraphic said:

We like to bring our own wine & champagne on board.

Here's two of our faves.

1901071560_VinaTondinoReserva.jpg.e62ff90fa8d7336a332a62f452e97df2.jpg274673132_LaGrandeDame.jpg.1b548a6c0fd60920359dbe022df716e7.jpg

We used to drink the "old lady" Veuve a fair bit as well but it kind of got quite expensive at about $100 CAD.  We now tend to drink some very nice French Cremants and some excellent Italian Proseccos which have really improved in the last 10 years or so.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MGnut said:

Ha!. This brings back an experience from a past Princess cruise. DW and I were sharing a table with another couple (who were new to us) at dinner. I'd say were all in our early-mid 60's. I selected a 'Menage a trois' red wine , and mentioned that I'd always wanted to try a menage a trois. The man made no comment at all, he just sat there, but the lady was trying very hard to not break out laughing. Obviously, the wife knew something her husband didn't. My DW knew what was going on, and had a herd time not laughing, too.

The wine was very nice, if I remember correctly.

Ahhh... The simple pleasures. 😁😎👍

12 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I've never found a Cremant that I didn't like.

Just from a different region. I'm sure there must be a number of them that I wouldn't like. If it's tooooooooo dang dry I don't care for it. Heck, I've only had Dom Perignon once and didn't like it at all. It was too dry for my taste. Of course it was the "cheap" Dom at only $89 a bottle.

I really don't have a sophisticated palate. I love it when I read reviews of wines (obviously not Champagne or Cremant) and they note flavors of "pencil lead" and "asparagus". GAH! If I could taste that stuff I'd spit the dang wine out for sure. I'm of the "I like it if it tastes good to me" school. I've been watching the golf channel (Yeah? So what???) and they keep having commercials for Woodford Reserve Bourbon. It's the high wheat version. They advertise "over 200 flavor notes to discover". Yeah, right. It it tastes like good Bourbon I'm happy. How is a simple dork like me supposed to differentiate "over 200" different "flavor notes"? I like Bourbon. Some Bourbons I like much better than others but I guess I'm not discerning enough to really judge Bourbons. I still know how to tell if I like the stuff or not.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried the "wheated" Woodford Reserve. I imagine I would like it. However, I am one of the "weirdos" who really appreciates a high-rye-content Bourbon. (Woodford makes one of those as well.) Yep, I like Bulleit Bourbon. Actually, I like Bulleit Rye better than the Bourbon. In the "old west" whiskey usually meant Rye. I don't know why the US preferences went so far away from Rye Whiskey but I like it a lot. Of course I also love Irish Whiskey and Scotch Whisky. (The Scots don't put the "e" in the word. Also, Scotch is the whisky Scotch but I think the Scots might punch you if you called them "Scotch".)

PS: I realize I have capitalized the words Rye, Scotch, Bourbon, Whiskey, and Whisky. It's out of respect for the words even if they didn't technically need to be capitalized. I like my Whiskey.

PPS: Please pardon my loquacity. I may have had a bit of Bourbon before posting...

• Like 5

I usually run either a beer or wine tasting at family gatherings.  When buying wine for a tasting I purchase bottles of the same varietal, say Shiraz, at different price points.  Usually one at around $6, another at $10 to $12, one at $15 to $18, and usually one at $25 to $$40.  They are then wrapped in paper and numbered so that no one knows which is which.

Without exception my father-in-law likes the $6.  No one likes the $10, and the vast majority always pick the mid-price $15 to $18.  Wife and daughter-in-law always pick out the $40.  Talking to sommelier's, this is pretty common.  People like and pick the ones that taste the same as the price point they are used to.  No idea what the father-in-law likes about $6 wine!!!  Wines over $25 are usually a little more complex and unless people have been exposed to those flavors, they don't care for them.

As for beer tastings, don't ever let a 30 year old nephew contribute to a beer tasting unless you can choke down sour beer........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At Crown Grill, I always have Silverado Sauvignon Blanc with fish or seafood.  Fantastic!

Also at Crown Grill, with steak or lamb chops, I have Silverado Cabernet.  I have also had the much more expensive Opus One.  While Opus One is quite good, very smooth, I didn't think it was all that much better than Silverado.  

Before my cruise was cancelled last March, I was planning to try Jordan Cabernet and Chappellet Merlot.  

• Like 2

Thrak- You are so funny! My family gives me a hard time when I "spout off"

different tasting notes when drinking a wine. They look at me like I am

from Mars. DH says that he knows what he likes and that is that.

RLK33853- That sounds like such a fun thing to do with family.

Ombud- Thank you for that article on red wine. I have been trying many

reds recently and am on the search for some favorites. However, I still

enjoy a nice Chardonnay. (Thrak, yes I capitalized it out of respect... 😍)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

Just from a different region. I'm sure there must be a number of them that I wouldn't like. If it's tooooooooo dang dry I don't care for it. Heck, I've only had Dom Perignon once and didn't like it at all. It was too dry for my taste. Of course it was the "cheap" Dom at only $89 a bottle.

I really don't have a sophisticated palate. I love it when I read reviews of wines (obviously not Champagne or Cremant) and they note flavors of "pencil lead" and "asparagus". GAH! If I could taste that stuff I'd spit the dang wine out for sure. I'm of the "I like it if it tastes good to me" school. I've been watching the golf channel (Yeah? So what???) and they keep having commercials for Woodford Reserve Bourbon. It's the high wheat version. They advertise "over 200 flavor notes to discover". Yeah, right. It it tastes like good Bourbon I'm happy. How is a simple dork like me supposed to differentiate "over 200" different "flavor notes"? I like Bourbon. Some Bourbons I like much better than others but I guess I'm not discerning enough to really judge Bourbons. I still know how to tell if I like the stuff or not.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried the "wheated" Woodford Reserve. I imagine I would like it. However, I am one of the "weirdos" who really appreciates a high-rye-content Bourbon. (Woodford makes one of those as well.) Yep, I like Bulleit Bourbon. Actually, I like Bulleit Rye better than the Bourbon. In the "old west" whiskey usually meant Rye. I don't know why the US preferences went so far away from Rye Whiskey but I like it a lot. Of course I also love Irish Whiskey and Scotch Whisky. (The Scots don't put the "e" in the word. Also, Scotch is the whisky Scotch but I think the Scots might punch you if you called them "Scotch".)

PS: I realize I have capitalized the words Rye, Scotch, Bourbon, Whiskey, and Whisky. It's out of respect for the words even if they didn't technically need to be capitalized. I like my Whiskey.

PPS: Please pardon my loquacity. I may have had a bit of Bourbon before posting...

🤣 roflmao.. #tipsyposting

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2020 at 8:45 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

So many wine experts on this thread.  I have a lot of catching up to do.  I'm a lightweight (white wines).  Those that sit with me at the wine tasting are lucky.  I hand over ALL of my reds.

Agree...or champagne; seems to go with everything.

Cheers!

22 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

We used to drink the "old lady" Veuve a fair bit as well but it kind of got quite expensive at about $100 CAD.  We now tend to drink some very nice French Cremants and some excellent Italian Proseccos which have really improved in the last 10 years or so.

Yummy! 

16 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

As for beer tastings, don't ever let a 30 year old nephew contribute to a beer tasting unless you can choke down sour beer........

My wife and I love good beer. I used to brew at home and made something like 50 or 55 or so batches of beer. I made some really good beer. My wife used to think she hated beer until I started brewing because all she had ever tasted was stuff like Budweiser and Coors. When I started brewing she realized she loved beer. She just hated the swill being passed off as beer in the US. We both love good beer. However, neither of us likes "sour beer". Nope, nope, nope. Not good stuff.

14 hours ago, Ombud said:

Does anyone belong to a wine club or do you just go to a wine store (BevMo / Total Wine / Buon Vino Inc / Cost Plus World Market) and fill a case? 

No wine club... just a FB Group who loves wine under $20.00

However, they have these "special" buys and the first one in which

I participated, the results were NOT good; so no more.

I think for me, a wine club is a bit limiting.

HOWEVER, living in the Northwest, we have Total Wine in Washington

and I have been frequenting there on my Triweekly grocery trips to

Olympia. The staff is great, so they are sort of my own wine club with their

knowledge and discounts. And if and when I discover a wine that I really love,

then I find out if I can order a case through my grocery store for a VERY HEFTY

discount; typically through Fred Meyer.

P.S. And of course we have great wine countries in WA and OR.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 9:11 PM, Thrak said:

With the beverage package we liked to order the Spellbound Petite Sirah but they no longer have it by the glass. We did order a bottle in the dining room. This isn't an expensive wine but was chosen by the vast majority of folks at the freebie Elite wine tasting as the favorite. I asked and was told it's pretty consistently the top choice for that tasting. I asked why, if it's popular, it was no longer offered by the glass in Vines and I got the, "They don't ask me, they just do what they want to do" sort of answer. We normally stick to red wines but they did have a nice Gewurztraminer that I sometimes ordered. It's light and ever so slightly sweet. Sometimes I feel like the only Gewurztraminer drinker out there.

The Vines bar staff turned me on to Spellbound Petite Sirah several years ago.  I love it and buy it here at home at Total Wine & More.

15 hours ago, Ombud said:

Does anyone belong to a wine club or do you just go to a wine store (BevMo / Total Wine / Buon Vino Inc / Cost Plus World Market) and fill a case? 

Not a wine club per se, but we belong to a few winery’s clubs. Tobin James from Paso Robles is our favorite. Fantastic wines, especially their reds - 2 shipments a year. I also hit BevMo on a regular basis. Our local supermarket also has a good selection of local wines so I regularly peruse their wines. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CruisinS said:

The Vines bar staff turned me on to Spellbound Petite Sirah several years ago.  I love it and buy it here at home at Total Wine & More.

I haven't seen it for sale anywhere in town where I live. We don't have a Total Wine.

15 hours ago, Ombud said:

We only use Total Wine for some cordials that are difficult to find elsewhere, scotch, and a rather nice sparkling burgundy: Louie Bouillot's brut rose. Most of our purchases are through an online app, WTSO, that puts up one wine at a time - for about a couple of hours or so - and then changes it. We also purchase form the local Publix, which stocks a good selection and runs a BOGO every week on a wine or two. I keep an app, CellarMaster, which helps me to keep track of our drinkables and stock on certain varietals that we like to have in. But I don't call it a collection - it's more of an inventory!

44 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I haven't seen it for sale anywhere in town where I live. We don't have a Total Wine.

Hi Thrak- I looked up Total Wine locations close to you. It would be the Sacramento

area and in Reno. Guess what? Total Wine has the Spellbound Petit Sirah for $9.89 per bottle

when purchasing 6 bottles or more of anything. Plus, they offer FREE shipping with orders

$99.00 or more. My closest Total Wine is 75 miles away as is our closest Costco and Trader Joe's.

I just do a big loop in Olympia about every 3 weeks or so.

Guess what I will be purchasing tomorrow? Thanks for the suggestion on this wine.

loge23- We have no Publix on the west coast. I have heard that they have some great deals!

• Like 1