Wine Anyone? What would you order if you could?

nini

1 hour ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Just checked out the Seghesio Old Vines zin at Total Wine.  It goes for $34.99 USD which is around $48 CAD.  My wife and I also enjoy the floral flavors of a fine Gewurtztraminer as well......

Costco is at about $20.00 

Can you shop at one across the border and bring it home?

I know we can bring wine across ( a limit though and when the border is open).

Hi Thrak, love Gerwurtz also but I haven't seen it at the Vines anymore on our most recent cruises. We prefer the Alsatians when available. 

Our go-to at The Vines has long been the Vall Llach Embruix, a Priorat from Catalonia, Spain. We think it's the best red value there. We also enjoy a glass of Chablis there, as white Burgundy's (or red, for that matter) are few and far between onboard in most venues.

9 minutes ago, loge23 said:

Hi Thrak, love Gerwurtz also but I haven't seen it at the Vines anymore on our most recent cruises. We prefer the Alsatians when available. 

Our go-to at The Vines has long been the Vall Llach Embruix, a Priorat from Catalonia, Spain. We think it's the best red value there. We also enjoy a glass of Chablis there, as white Burgundy's (or red, for that matter) are few and far between onboard in most venues.

Vall Llach Embruix!!! 

Thank you.  I remebered that it was a Priorat, but for the life of me, I could not remember that name when I wrote my first epistle, above.  I agree that it is an attractively priced, solid wine,

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

So many wine experts on this thread.  I have a lot of catching up to do.  I'm a lightweight (white wines).  Those that sit with me at the wine tasting are lucky.  I hand over ALL of my reds.

I take one sip of each of the wines they give us, just to taste them.  The whole thing still baffles me.

18 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Chateau Petrus (by the glass) would make me happy.  

Hank

Hank- I have a feeling that your budget is bigger than mine and your

taste is very refined. I bet it is yummy!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nini said:

I said a glass would make me happy :).  I did not say I was willing to pay for it :(.  So tonight it will be back to 2 buck Chuck.

Hank

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Chateau Petrus (by the glass) would make me happy.  

Hank

25 minutes ago, nini said:

21 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I said a glass would make me happy :).  I did not say I was willing to pay for it :(.  So tonight it will be back to 2 buck Chuck.

Hank

If you're not paying for it, think how happy you would be with a bottle.  😁

Just for grins, I ballparked a glass of that Petrus based on the prices of other wines that they offer by the glass.  I'm saying $1375..  Then, of course there is the 18% gratuity.

Now, supposing you ponied up the dinero, Hank, and Princess went for it.  They sell you a glass of Petrus for $1375.  Now what are they going to do with the four glasses that are still in the bottle?  I suppose they could send it to the galley to use for cooking.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nini said:

Price often has little to do with how much I like wine. Won't drink Sutter Home or 2 buck chuck but I prefer Hardy's Whisker's Blake Port ($13) to Taylor's ($48) even though it's about 1/4 the price. And Barefoot sparkling wine is just fine in a mimosa 

But I think I'll head over to BevMo to have some of that South Africa Chocolate Bloc Wine. ($26). This thread has got me wanting to expand my stockpile. No sense waiting until I'm onboard to have it 

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

If you're not paying for it, think how happy you would be with a bottle.  😁

Just for grins, I ballparked a glass of that Petrus based on the prices of other wines that they offer by the glass.  I'm saying $1375..  Then, of course there is the 18% gratuity.

Now, supposing you ponied up the dinero, Hank, and Princess went for it.  They sell you a glass of Petrus for $1375.  Now what are they going to do with the four glasses that are still in the bottle?  I suppose they could send it to the galley to use for cooking.

The Beverage Manager might want to taste :).   I will be very honest and admit that I have never tasted that particular wine although I have had some of its close cousins.  But I am quite annoyed that Princess was forced to cancel two of my booked Princess cruises (18 days and 28 days) so I figure the least they can do is provide me with a glass of Petrus the next time we cruise :).

By the way, the 2 buck Chuck Sauvignon Blanc is not too bad.  I once saw an interview with the owner of the wine company (Bronco) that makes most of the 2 buck Chuck wines and he acknowledged that it was aged on the "405" as it moved in large tank trucks from the production facility to their bottling plant.

Hank

DW and I worked 10 years in the tasting room for a mom & pop winery in Livermore.  The winemaker said, and we often shared, that there is not a better judge of a wine than does it taste good to you.  It is a real treat to be at work and have the winemaker come over with a glass and ask "What do you think of this?"

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

Price often has little to do with how much I like wine. Won't drink Sutter Home or 2 buck chuck but I prefer Hardy's Whisker's Blake Port ($13) to Taylor's ($48) even though it's about 1/4 the price. And Barefoot sparkling wine is just fine in a mimosa

How SO VERY TRUE! I just learned an expensive lesson by ordering a new wine

online from a FB Wine Group to which I belong. The description was so endearing

and the results? One of the three bottles was "corked" and this was my first experience with

"corked" wine. The next bottle was a horrible bottle of a Zinfandel. So:

I have found a really nice Zinfandel that costs much less... What a lesson!

P.S. to XBGy   I really like the Oak Ridge Zinfandel!!! It was a 2017 from Total Wine.

14 hours ago, Northumberland said:

I don't have a sophisticated palette.  So, we usually bring our own. Berenger White Zinfandel.  $3.97 a bottle at Walmart. However, as we have at the deluxe beverage package for our next cruise, I think we'll broaden our taste buds a little. 🍸🥃 😆

No worries! It has taken me quite some time to develop my palate. I began with sweet wines; typically

the Beringer White Zinfandel and many Rieslings. Now, I do not want sweet, and instead look for

that "perfect" smooth and "jammy" red wine. And also a smooth, oaky, and buttery Chardonnay.

I think that the Princess Beverage Package will really allow us to try new wines and I really appreciate

the comments!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nini said:

How SO VERY TRUE! I just learned an expensive lesson by ordering a new wine

online from a FB Wine Group to which I belong. The description was so endearing

and the results? One of the three bottles was "corked" and this was my first experience with

"corked" wine. The next bottle was a horrible bottle of a Zinfandel. So:

I have found a really nice Zinfandel that costs much less... What a lesson!

P.S. to XBGy   I really like the Oak Ridge Zinfandel!!! It was a 2017 from Total Wine.

No worries! It has taken me quite some time to develop my palate. I began with sweet wines; typically

the Beringer White Zinfandel and many Rieslings. Now, I do not want sweet, and instead look for

that "perfect" smooth and "jammy" red wine. And also a smooth, oaky, and buttery Chardonnay.

I think that the Princess Beverage Package will really allow us to try new wines and I really appreciate

the comments!

Haha. My wife and I actually enjoy nice dry red wine, but our other cruise mate likes the sweeter wines. She actually used to consume Baby Duck  (yuck) and it's taken us years to wean here off that stuff. So, she has graduated to the Beringer, which we also enjoy. 

However, that "perfect" smooth and "jammy" red wine. And also a smooth, oaky, and buttery Chardonnay sounds good

to me...