Did the Amsterdam world cruise passengers ever get their luggage?

Hflors

23 hours ago, KirkNC said:

There are people on board with 15 or more bags.  We had eight this time which was the most we had ever had.  We took more clothing then normal this time due to Antarctica, that was probably one suitcase in itself.  Probably half of our luggage is clothes, shoes also take up a lot of space.  I had five pair, I won’t say how many my wife had but they collectively pretty much filled a duffel bag.  Then there is stuff, camera stuff, five months of toiletries, medicines, snacks, snorkeling gear, my Mac, two iPads, all kinds of chargers.  Heck some people bring a TV (I kid you not).  Our suitcases were four larger ones, three small ones and one duffel bag.  Usually we can get ours under the bed with maybe one in a closet.  The small suitcases fit in the larger ones and the duffel goes anywhere.  As RutthC said, you can give them to the steward as well.  They store them in Club HAL as there are usually not many kids on board.   If you participate in the theme nights that takes up a lot of suitcases as well.  You see so pretty elaborate outfits.

On 10/24/2020 at 8:08 PM, RuthC said:

That question is easy to answer. The stewards take any luggage you don't want in the cabin, and store it until near the end of the cruise. They will bring it to you when you want to start packing; the ship starts collecting packed luggage earlier than on most cruises, too. 

Where do you store all your clothes? There is not that much closet or drawer space.

• Like 1

We rotate our warm and cold season clothes into and out of the suitcases.  When in A cold area, our warm clothes are under the bed in one of our suitcases and visa versa when in a warm area.  Same with toiletries, the extras are stored until needed.  

• Like 2

Thank you all for the fascinating answers to my question about luggage on a world cruise.  I know we've gone (slightly) off-topic, but since I hope to take a world cruise one day, I'm learning a lot from your various answers and experiences!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cruises42 said:

Where do you store all your clothes? There is not that much closet or drawer space.

You quoted me, too, so I will answer how it went for me. 

I only took the two final segments of the 2019 World Cruise, so I only had what I would normally take for a cruise in the 30-40 day range. It was all one climate (more or less), without the extremes of Antarctica nor the equatorial areas, nor did I need a great deal of toiletries. 
There was plenty of room for this solo cruiser, even in her inside cabin. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ontheweb said:

You would think that any steward looking forward to his or her tip for the many days on a world cruise would not do anything to alienate a passenger. Not storing your luggage when you know others are getting that service would not seem to be something a steward would want to do.

We were told there was no room. We will see what happens on our next World cruise. But this happened twice on the World Cruise (2018 & 2020). And we weren’t doing segments. We did have friends whose luggage was stored, but they were onboard during the Christmas cruise. Probably all the passengers who were on the Christmas and Grand Asia had their luggage stored. By the time we asked our stewards to remove Our luggage, the storage area was full.

21 hours ago, RuthC said:

I once had a hard-sided suitcase that was huge. Not only was it longer and wider than is made today, it was double depth! No way it would fit under any bed on any ship---even if you tried to lift the bed. Besides, it wouldn't bend, which would have been necessary to slide it under between the wall and the side of the mattress, even if the bed were high enough. 
The stewards always found a way to store it for me. 

Sharon, I wonder if it was just your stewards not wanting to go to the trouble, and not that there was no place to store your luggage. 

Thanks Ruth, it is very possible. They were okay, but no way as excellent as Stewards we have had in the past. I didn’t pursue it as as the stewards on the 2018, made sure all 5 pieces luggage made it under the bed. But we didn’t have the spinner wheels. I thought they also wouldn’t store them.

We had planned on replacing our luggage with another 25” spinner, but I may replace one of the pieces with two 21” instead with the hopes they can be stored inside the 25” luggage just in case the same thing happens again. This time I will talk to Housekeeping. Thanks Ruth!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

21 hours ago, ontheweb said:

You would think that any steward looking forward to his or her tip for the many days on a world cruise would not do anything to alienate a passenger. Not storing your luggage when you know others are getting that service would not seem to be something a steward would want to do.

Actually, we didn’t give them as big of an extra tip over the gratuities as we normally do. They were okay. We are not demanding passengers, but they didn’t seem to care to please us like other stewards we had. Surprised they were on a World Cruise!!!

On 10/29/2020 at 9:20 AM, Durango Sandy said:

Trip presents for kids will now be Christmas presents.

Little did you know that you were doing very early Christmas shopping at the time.  It's good to know that your "Christmas 2020" gifts arrived in good condition so that Santa can deliver them.  😀

19 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Little did you know that you were doing very early Christmas shopping at the time.  It's good to know that your "Christmas 2020" gifts arrived in good condition so that Santa can deliver them.  😀

Funny how things work out sometimes.

• Like 1