CDC releases Conditional Sailing Order

Anchorbuoy

12 minutes ago, Anchorbuoy said:

Conditional Sailing order explained in plain English:

https://cruiseradio.net/explained-the-cdcs-conditional-sailing-order-for-cruise-ships/

Nice summary !

Agree, nice summary.  Thanks for posting.

Key quote:

"While there’s certainly a long road ahead for cruise lines to return to service, it’s not impossible."

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

It will not be as long as it appears....I bet there will be a ship in the US before the end of the year.

Having a ship in US waters is only a single step of the multiple step process just to get to restricted sailings from the US of a maximum  of 7 days meaning the cruises for that ship will need to be completely reworked and rebooked.  And the restricted sailings of 7 nites or less will continue until Nov. 1, 2021 unless that date is changed or the pandemic is over.  Also all ships will need to go thru the process.  Imagine the cruise lines and CDC will become extremely busy further delaying approval for Conditional sailing documents.

Many baby steps to many 7 nite cruises that based on comments will not satisfy the majority of Regent cruisers.  And, don't forget the restricted cruises will require masks and social distancing with no distinction so far between the Monstrosities and the smaller ships.  

42 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

A Regent ship by end of year?  

38 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Yes, a Regent cruise ship....

The CDC guidelines (page 28), "Applying for a COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate" (a) A cruise ship operator must submit the following to CDC prior to commencing restricted passenger operations:....These materials should be submitted at least 60 days prior to the date on which the cruise ship operator proposes to commence restricted passenger operations....

Assuming Regent submitted them today, that would still put the earliest sailing around New Years Day.

"...60 days prior to passenger operations..."

We, outside of Regent, don't know when Regent submitted anything...and I think the first Regent ship will get here in December and knock off the first non-passenger cruise before the end of December. The CDC and the cruise lines have been working together and not everything they have done or said is public. This is, of course, opinion. I also think this cruise will be out of Miami. 

We will see soon enough.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

We, outside of Regent, don't know when Regent submitted anything...and I think the first Regent ship will get here in December and knock off the first non-passenger cruise before the end of December. The CDC and the cruise lines have been working together and not everything they have done or said is public. This is, of course, opinion. I also think this cruise will be out of Miami. 

What non-passenger cruise are you referring to?  The only cruise in the requirements before submittal of the Request for Conditional sailing is for sure a simulated passenger cruise as the order clearly states passengers who certify to having no pre-existing conditions with a doctor doing the certification among other requirements.  Many other issues need to be in place including signed Contracts for hospitals and hotels at US Ports.   Really not as simple as you seem to be saying.  Am all for getting cruises going again however it will not be a simple or fast process especially since the CDC seems to believe that the order includes Restricted cruises for a year from today.

I suspect the "simulated voyage" will be non-paying "passengers" such as friends, family, TA's, etc.

Restricted cruises simply means that a cruise could have 1 or more restrictions in place.....it doesn't mean that cruises a year from now will look exactly like cruises 60 - 90 days from now.

We will see though, yes?

9 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I suspect the "simulated voyage" will be non-paying "passengers" such as friends, family, TA's, etc.

Perhaps but, you clearly said non-passengers in previous post.  Believe the CDC will want more than friends, family, TA's, etc. to prove the ships are ready to sail in a restricted manner.  Don't doubt those you describe will be there but, a wide range of  general public people will be needed for diversity and to avoid bias. 

Restricted cruises simply means that a cruise could have 1 or more restrictions in place.....it doesn't mean that cruises a year from now will look exactly like cruises 60 - 90 days from now.

Right now the order includes all of the restrictions in the order thru Nov. 1, 2021.  The order is extremely open to revision which could change the restrictions.   Sincerely doubt with Restricted Cruises IMHO not starting before 2021 or a minimum of 60 days from now that restrictions will be changed in the next 60-90 days.   Way too soon for restrictions to be lifted and again IMHO not all the ships will have received their Conditions Sailing Approval by the end of January which is your 90 days so 60-90 days is way too optimistic.

We will see though, yes?

Yes.

Edited by rallydave

7 minutes ago, xrvlcruiser said:

Pcardad,

Another clarification: the "rules" talk about 7 days or less for cruises - is that related to the "volunteer"  or to the ones with passengers?

Peggy

Peggy,

I can answer this for you.  There is no number of days specified for the simulated cruises.  The 7 day rule is for the Restricted Cruises which come after the ships meet all of the requirements, apply for the Conditional approval to sail Restricted cruises and receive that approval.  These requirements only apply to cruises that include sailing in US waters.  It is not clear if that would include cruises that sail from a non US Port, visit non US port(s) and then arrive in a US port such as a TA..

On 10/30/2020 at 4:09 PM, Anchorbuoy said:

Page 32 of 40 says:

(2) The cruise ship operator must not sail or offer to sail on an itinerary longer than 7 days. CDC may shorten or lengthen the number of days permitted to sail based on public health considerations and as set forth in technical instructions or orders.

That pretty much rules out most current itineraries out of Florida in the near term.

1 hour ago, Anchorbuoy said:

That pretty much rules out most current itineraries out of Florida in the near term.

For Regent yes; not for the rest of the industry.  I really think Regent will start up with seven day Mariner cruises with one day turnaround between each of the itineraries.  Once they are successful, I think they will do the same with Splendor and then with Navigator.  I am sure hopeful Navigator is up and operating by beginning of April so that my Arctic cruise commencing on 31 May from NYC has a chance of operating.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

I am sure hopeful Navigator is up and operating by beginning of April so that my Arctic cruise commencing on 31 May from NYC has a chance of operating.

Think you might have equal or more worries that first CDC is allowing cruises longer than 7 nites by May and second that Regent is able to have Contracts with hospitals and lodging locations in the remote areas you will be traveling in on that cruise.

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

He could go on the test cruise.

If, as I read it, the 'test folks'

must have written certification from a health care provider that they don’t have a pre-existing condition that puts the individual at high-risk for virus complications".

Mr. del Rio has certainly said he wanted family on the first cruises, but who knows if they'll qualify....so many people (including myself) would never be cleared by a health care provider regarding risk.  

I believe top execs should be on these sailings if medically possible - for morale boosting, if nothing else.

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, greykitty said:

If, as I read it, the 'test folks'

must have written certification from a health care provider that they don’t have a pre-existing condition that puts the individual at high-risk for virus complications".

Mr. del Rio has certainly said he wanted family on the first cruises, but who knows if they'll qualify....so many people (including myself) would never be cleared by a health care provider regarding risk.  

I believe top execs should be on these sailings if medically possible - for morale boosting, if nothing else.

Be interesting to see if that stays in place after the “test” sailing.