1st Caribbean Cruise since March just sailed

55 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I think I am going to try thick

That’s what I was thinking. I may be working so that’s what I’ll do. The rest of the family will be at my DIL parents house.We are part of the same bubble anyway since my son and daughter-in-law live with us and we are all exposed to the diseased world. 

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

however, if they would have been required to mask and practice social distancing, maybe the one case would not have spread to five cases.  I

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The worst part was they felt their testing was extensive enough for noone to wear a mask for saturday to monday evening

SO.... let's say personally I unknowingly got infected 4 days before embarkation day... I don't know it yet, I'm asymptomatic.

I have the cruise booked on Seadream. I get tested 72 hours before the cruise ... I test negative

I get the rapid test on embarkation day ... also test negative... so I board.

Without a mask, I cough on someone that very day of embarkation.... unfortunately that cruiser may be obese, have asthma, had Pneumonia a couple of times in the past, etc etc. Do they get sick and test positive the very next day?

Masks were not the issue.

It was someone (many someones) got on board who was incubating the virus and did not test positive until AFTER the incubation period.

• Like 1

Further, 

Covid19, the common flu, Noro, or anything else will never be kept off a ship... NEVER.

They will always appear. It's not about keeping viruses off of ships... it's about mitigating the problem once it shows up.

The questions need to be answered are how does the cruise line keep fellow 5000 60+ years of age C&A Diamond and up cruisers on an Oasis Class from filling the morgue when they're on a transatlantic with no where to port and only so many beds in the medical? Will there be ventilators on every ship?What ports will allow safe passage and/or medical care to those who are infected? Insurance? Cost? Cost to whom.... the cruiser or cruise line? Yada yada yada??

So  many questions. No answers yet. The cruise lines, whether they are big or small, will try to sail some way, some how, else they should just face bankruptcy right now and get it over with.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

...Without a mask, I cough on someone that very day of embarkation.... unfortunately that cruiser may be obese, have asthma, had Pneumonia a couple of times in the past, etc etc. Do they get sick and test positive the very next day?

Masks were not the issue.

It was someone (many someones) got on board who was incubating the virus and did not test positive until AFTER the incubation period.

If you were carrying the virus and contagious and you weren't wearing a mask and coughed on someone not wearing a mask, there would be a strong chance the person you coughed on would get the virus.  However, if you were both wearing masks the chances become less that the person would get infected.

I saw some YouTube video of what they were doing on a beach and it didn't look very safe to me.  If and when cruising does restart, masks will be mandatory IMO.  

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

If you were carrying the virus and contagious and you weren't wearing a mask and coughed on someone not wearing a mask, there would be a strong chance the person you coughed on would get the virus.  However, if you were both wearing masks the chances become less that the person would get infected.

The point is  not if that other person gets the virus from me...

the point is WHEN that new person actually tests positive after I have infected them.

Masks have zero factor in people getting positive 1 day after getting on board a cruise ship.

Those that are testing positive were incubating the virus before they got on, but did not test positive until they were already on board.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

The point is  not if that other person gets the virus from me...

the point is WHEN that new person actually tests positive after I have infected them.

Masks have zero factor in people getting positive 1 day after getting on board a cruise ship.

Those that are testing positive were incubating the virus before they got on, but did not test positive until they were already on board.

I doubt masks would have made any difference in the spread anyhow.. The main place of spread are the dining rooms and bars where masks can be taken off. In the state I live in a large number of deaths are still occuring at long term care/nursing homes and they are taking all the precautions. It is just to contagious. Imagine the bad PR if the cruise lines have positive cases on their "test cruises". If I ran a cruise line i would not take the chance. you just have to shut it down until covid runs its course.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

I doubt masks would have made any difference in the spread anyhow.. 

7 days before the Seadream cruise, I walk down the street and two men without masks loudly talking and laughing, aerosols flying all over the place, inadvertently infect me. So now I'm infected. 72 hours before the Seadream cruise, I test negative... I'm still incubating. Upon embarkation, I still test negative.... still incubating.

On 1st day of sailing, it's the 8th day after being infected symptoms finally show up. I go down to medical on the ship and finally test positive. The entire ship shuts down and the cruise is over.

Had those COVID-IOTS wore masks 7 days ago on that street I walked by, Seadream would still be cruising.... and safely.

14 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Imagine the bad PR if the cruise lines have positive cases on their "test cruises". 

I personally, in my own humble and non-scientific opinion, give this a 100% chance of occurring

edit: I wish to add this is a good thing... everyone needs to know how the cruise lines will mitigate this problem without it becoming a disaster. If the protocals work, then we'll be all good. But it has to happen first before they can actually know if the protocals will actually work for real. So test cruises are good.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Thanks 1

Cruiseradio has a good editorial about the Seadream situation and why they are so angry about it. They also mention this about the passengers and the policy change to require masks onboard:

"They wrongly believed that their testing regime would allow them to create an impenetrable bubble in which their passengers and crew could eschew masks altogether.

Better still, the pampered guests aboard the high-end ship were apparently upset that they once the positive test came back, they were required to begin donning facial coverings.

“Many passengers are angry at SeaDream because of the tightened mask-wearing mandate,” wrote Sloan. “Quite a few passengers on board this sailing have told me they signed up for this trip specifically because they were told they wouldn’t have to wear a mask, and they said they wouldn’t have taken the trip if they had known a mask-wearing requirement was coming.”

That’s right, even as a potential case was discovered and preventative measures were put in place to protect everyone on board, these people were complaining about having to follow the same rules the rest of civilized society has had to for months".

https://cruiseradio.net/why-were-angry-about-the-latest-cruise-ship-outbreak/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, yogimax said:

This statement is dangerous.  If we all wore masks to protect ourselves and others we could save tens of thousands of lives.  Period!

Did you actually read THE ENTIRE post, the context and story of why I was replying? or simply take that statement out on it's own?

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

This statement is dangerous.  If we all wore masks to protect ourselves and others we could save tens of thousands of lives.  Period!

No we wouldn't.

Masks and 6 foot social distancing just are not working to slow or stop the spread in places where they are strictly enforced.

Now, it may be that the masks most people use are worthless like the blue surgical masks, bandanas, scarfs, and whatever but even in places where high quality standards are being used it is still spreading. Long Term care facilities still have high infection rates and deaths.

17 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

No we wouldn't.

Masks and 6 foot social distancing just are not working to slow or stop the spread in places where they are strictly enforced.

Now, it may be that the masks most people use are worthless like the blue surgical masks, bandanas, scarfs, and whatever but even in places where high quality standards are being used it is still spreading. Long Term care facilities still have high infection rates and deaths.

My MIL lives in a senior complex with close to 1800 residents.  While she is in an independent living apt, she does have 24/7 aides because she can't take care of herself but she refuses to move to the LTC building on property.  The facility also has long term care (4 floors of a separate building with approx 100 rooms) and a new building that recently opened that's about the same size, but not full.  They haven't had a death in something like 3 months and only one new infection (staff) in the last two.   So, your statement isn't correct.  You must be thinking of NY back in the spring.  Other facilities in the DC metro area are doing well also.  It's not rampant by any means in any of these facilities.   They've had 12 deaths in the long term care facility from COVID, but they were not all residents who were moved there from independent living.  At least 1/2 were brought in for long term care either from other facilities or residences after the pandemic started.   All of those deaths were in people that weren't exactly healthy to begin with.

15 minutes ago, BND said:

My MIL lives in a senior complex with close to 1800 residents.  While she is in an independent living apt, she does have 24/7 aides because she can't take care of herself but she refuses to move to the LTC building on property.  The facility also has long term care (4 floors of a separate building with approx 100 rooms) and a new building that recently opened that's about the same size, but not full.  They haven't had a death in something like 3 months and only one new infection (staff) in the last two.   So, your statement isn't correct.  You must be thinking of NY back in the spring.  Other facilities in the DC metro area are doing well also.  It's not rampant by any means in any of these facilities.   They've had 12 deaths in the long term care facility from COVID, but they were not all residents who were moved there from independent living.  At least 1/2 were brought in for long term care either from other facilities or residences after the pandemic started.   All of those deaths were in people that weren't exactly healthy to begin with.

It seems to be a bigger problem in more rural areas of some states. I don't know why though. In New Mexico each death from covid is listed and if there are underlying conditions and if they were a resident of a long term care center. Almost every death, well over 90 percent, have underlying health problems and a lot are in LTC centers.

1 hour ago, SeaHunt said:

image.png.d4ad0bb2af7632f72897aade5a4aeec1.png

Flying home tomorrow? People still coming positive, so shouldn't there be some kind of quarantine, just in case?

Flying home tomorrow.   Let's see, some people who currently test negative, but invariably will be positive in a few days.   7 now, how many in the next week?  Did anyone see where Elon Musk took four tests the same day, same lab, same nurse and two were positive and two were negative?   

• Like 1