1st Caribbean Cruise since March just sailed

1 hour ago, Vera/Lee said:

This is the actual quote from Sea Dream: "The only real speculation we have at this point is that the passenger who tested positive was somehow exposed in the 72 hours between their first test and their flight. The virus can take several days to incubate, which is why it might not have shown up on this dockside test."

Exactly what many of us on here have been saying.  The worst part was they felt their testing was extensive enough for noone to wear a mask for saturday to monday evening.  Not surprised they have 6 positive results.  Expect they will have more since it takes 3 to 5 days to incubate.  

Are the passengers still quarantined on the ship?

• Like 1

Just now, Cruise a holic said:

Since people on the Sea Dream cruise ship got covid, that make's our future cruising in the not to distance future unlikely.   Hope that a reliable safe vaccine is available to all soon!    Guess I should cancel my March 2021 cruise.

I think there is a very good chance that your March cruise will get cancelled for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Since people on the Sea Dream cruise ship got covid, that make's our future cruising in the not to distance future unlikely.   Hope that a reliable safe vaccine is available to all soon!    Guess I should cancel my March 2021 cruise.

If you don't have a refundable deposit wait it out it will most likely be canceled. The way things are spiking in NY and NJ it's not looking good. My Daughter in law is getting ready to teach her class virtually for the rest of the year and my wife says admissions at the hospital are up. We decided to cancel Thanksgiving with my elderly parents because we are all exposed to the public by working in essential service businesses full time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

If you don't have a refundable deposit wait it out it will most likely be canceled. The way things are spiking in NY and NJ it's not looking good. My Daughter in law is getting ready to teach her class virtually for the rest of the year and my wife says admissions at the hospital are up. We decided to cancel Thanksgiving with my elderly parents because we are all exposed to the public by working in essential service businesses full time.

People need to rethink the holidays.  My husband and I are not hosting any family get togethers this year and we won't be going anywhere else either.

I know we have family who will still gather in groups and that is so stupid, but I can't change their minds. It's going to be a big mess and their actions will only increase the chance that businesses will be shut down again

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

Same here in Pa.  My Sil said her hospital has new case admissions everyday.  She had to intubate at least 4 people in the last 2 weeks.  

My Bil is still fighting covid in the hospital for a couple weeks now.  Has been on oxygen mask and unable to talk on phone.  At least his oxygen levels haven't worsened to the point of needing to be intubated.   Sad noone can be there for their family members.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mek said:

People need to rethink the holidays.  My husband and I are not hosting any family get togethers this year and we won't be going anywhere else either.

I know we have family who will still gather in groups and that is so stupid, but I can't change their minds.

Same here.  We cancelled thanksgiving plans about a month ago.   I love to cook.  I think I will enjoy cooking even more this year as I dont have to rush around like a crazy lady to get my house ready and set up everything for 10 to 12 people.  I can eat whatever time it is ready will be nice too, No pressure to a timeline.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mek said:

I know we have family who will still gather in groups and that is so stupid, but I can't change their minds. It's going to be a big mess and their actions will only increase the chance that businesses will be shut down again

I agree. The increase in cases in NY is due to large group gatherings. Now that the weather is turning cold we have to be even more careful because everything is held indoors. Even eating outside in a tent at a restaurant is still indoors.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Same here in Pa.  My Sil said her hospital has new case admissions everyday.  She had to intubate at least 4 people in the last 2 weeks.  

My Bil is still fighting covid in the hospital for a couple weeks now.  Has been on oxygen mask and unable to talk on phone.  At least his oxygen levels haven't worsened to the point of needing to be intubated.   Sad noone can be there for their family members.  

Prays for your brother in law. They said it would spike again in the fall and they were correct.

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Same here.  We cancelled thanksgiving plans about a month ago.   I love to cook.  I think I will enjoy cooking even more this year as I dont have to rush around like a crazy lady to get my house ready and set up everything for 10 to 12 people.  I can eat whatever time it is ready will be nice too, No pressure to a timeline.

I'm still fixing a nice traditional dinner for my husband and myself, but you are right, not rushing around getting my house spotless and then cleaning up the day after - what a treat!

I'm going to the store Monday morning and get everything for Thanksgiving.  I want to avoid crowds and potential shortages that I'm sure will happen.

2 minutes ago, mek said:

I'm still fixing a nice traditional dinner for my husband and myself, but you are right, not rushing around getting my house spotless and then cleaning up the day after - what a treat!

I'm going to the store Monday morning and get everything for Thanksgiving.  I want to avoid crowds and potential shortages that I'm sure will happen.

I plan on getting as much as I can this weekend.  2 reasons.  1 to avoid crowds Thanksgiving week and 2 to make sure I got what we like instead of waiting and find out it is sold out with everyone cooking their own meals.

Although I do prefer fresh turkey vs frozen.  I ordered from a local farmers market so hopefully not crowded when I pick it up.  Mask and washy washy hands.

5 minutes ago, mek said:

We had our "Thanksgiving" on Monday....& are having leftovers again tonight....just the 2 of us. We always have a little 4 foot XMAS tree decorated with the travel decorations we picked up during the year from places we have gone cruising.....this year we have nothing, so I am decorating it in all of the "cute" covid masks that I sewed for the cruise we were supposed to be heading out for in 2 weeks...gotta have some laughs somewhere along the line.  Today's news on the Sea Dream is not very good.

• Like 2

Boy this thread went off topic, but since it did. 

My family is having a large gathering for Thanksgiving, and mostly indoors. Expecting about 30. My mom is 87 and has said this is her last Thanksgiving. We have a few who feel Covid is a hoax and never wear a mask.  We have chosen not to attend for our safety. It’s a tough call. 

M8

• Like 8

I posted the Sea Dream information on another site I am on and got the post removed because it wasn't "Happy, Happy, I Love To Cruise" news....I love cruising too, but to me some common sense has to prevail (doesn't it?).  We're seniors and have chosen not to sail until next Nov....or maybe if there is an effective vaccine sooner....  I do not see the Sea Dream news as anything but sobering.  I really want cruising to resume, but I just don't think we're ready yet....maybe for younger, healthy folks, but unfortunately, not for us.  The CDC is of course watching these developments........

13 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

My family is having a large gathering for Thanksgiving, and mostly indoors. Expecting about 30. My mom is 87 and has said this is her last Thanksgiving. We have a few who feel Covid is a hoax and never wear a mask.  We have chosen not to attend for our safety. It’s a tough call. 

M8

I'm having both my sons and their wives and one DIL's parents and having it catered from a local restaurant.  We're going to spread out to eat,  We have a large house and can put people at two or three different tables to eat.  We've seen our sons and DIL's several times since this all started.  My DIL's parents have been working from home.  After we eat, both sons and DIL's are leaving to go elsewhere. One couple is going to friends who have a large property, with a couple of barns and outdoor space so they'll hang out there.  The other are going to her parents and see her siblings in a smaller space, but that's their choice.  That DIL is a nurse and so is her sister (work in GP offices).  My MIL is 88 and not in great health so we don't plan to have her here but will take her a plate, not that she'll eat much.   I'm hoping the weather is nice and we can open windows.  We have the largest house of everyone in both our families and our DIL's families so we can easily spread out.  Our main level is 1850 sq feet and is all living space/kitchen/dining room as bedrooms are upstairs.  Our sun room, kitchen and family room are connected by double wide openings so we can seat people apart.  We have three levels so we could have more people and still spread out, but we're at my limit.  My parents are staying at home.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

My sister and her family are still planning their over 10 people Thanksgiving party up in NY

We usually have about 10 family members for Thanksgiving. My sister is in poor health and on oxygen 24/7 and my mother is 84. Not worth the risk this year. I am cooking most of the usual food, but it will just be two of us.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Well since we have changed this thread to What are your plans for Thanksgiving here's mine

Getting sliced turkey breast at Publix deli

stovetop stuffing

jar of gravy

can cranberry sauce

premade mashed potatoes

And there you have it

This made me chuckle...especially the Publix part....Publix gravy & cranberry relish are very good & that's what we had with our turkey...it was delicious!  To try to swing back on cruising....>  we used to have big Thanksgiving dinners, but found that 3 days of prep was too much....we chose to do Thanksgivings on a cruise ship where we had no prep or cleanup..That is what I miss.....Sea Dream went maskless and pictures from that cruise indicate that the guests and crew were happy to go without the masks & social distancing.....With an uptick with the virus now, I don't think that was a wise decision.....but who knows...everyone is very divided on that subject.....The outbreak will be a set back for the rest of us.

Edited by hernando52
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Why? Because things are going so well in Europe?

That's what floors me.   Some want the US to be the worst.

Yesterday on a "news" show-mostly entertainment who think they're more intelligent than their audience, one of the hosts tried to compare Aus to the US.  Hmm, let's see, huge difference in population, huge difference in number of urban populations, one is surrounded completely by water and can control every entry point and does.  Big difference in what lockdown means for each.  They also were talking actual numbers which you cannot do when there's such a difference.  It's like comparing apples to oranges.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BND said:

5+ cases just shows that you can't stop it by testing just a few days before.

They also testing before boarding so that was twice they tested.  I saw some of their youtube videos and looks like they weren't social distancing or masking either at the start of the cruise.  After the first case, they started to require masks but they should have done that at the very start, IMO.

• Like 2