Covid-19 Vaccine Pfizer/BioNTech 90% Effective - Update 11/9/20

Formula280SS

Just now, Formula280SS said:

Well, although surprised that the news was "not released until now," it's worth a full detailed read.  Looks good, but also will take time.

The 2-month final assessment of "safety" issues and side-effects is the 3rd week of November.

Backtracking, during mid-September the information released now was available.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

It's fantastic news and not just for cruising.

Sorry for the topic drift here but is anyone else seeing "broken" icons on this thread and the thread page?  Thanks.

I agree that it's fantastic news. 

And yes icons are non-existent.  Perhaps a separate thread might be good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Formula280SS said:

Well, although surprised that the news was "not released until now," it's worth a full detailed read.  Looks good, but also will take time.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/09/covid-19-vaccine-from-pfizer-and-biontech-is-strongly-effective-early-data-from-large-trial-indicate/

Thanks for letting us know. 

7 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Anyone see 60 minutes last night? A pretty impressive team to try to deliver the vaccine. The biggest uphill battle and what could really screw things up is people who won't get the vaccine

I think for people who wont feel comfortable getting the vaccine yet, need to know the complete side effects it could cause,  Is understandable for some people to be concerned about side effects. We all want to get back to life as soon as possible and the operative word is LIFE.Now for those who are never vaccines advocates those will never see the light no matter how much proof you show them.

Edited by spanishguy1970
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Anyone see 60 minutes last night? A pretty impressive team to try to deliver the vaccine. The biggest uphill battle and what could really screw things up is people who won't get the vaccine

that seems to be same uphill battle we currently have with people not wearing masks

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/09/covid-19-vaccine-from-pfizer-and-biontech-is-strongly-effective-early-data-from-large-trial-indicate/

Pfizer expects to have 50 million doses released by the end of this year 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Sorry for the topic drift here but is anyone else seeing "broken" icons on this thread and the thread page?  Thanks.

Not sure what you are seeing but a couple days ago it looks like CC updated site and was seeing duplicate, overlapping user icons and everyone's cruise history but fixed now.

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

No didn’t see that program.  Were they saying anything else important?  

I have never understood people who resist getting vaccinations.  I’m sure there will people who don’t get this one, unfortunately.  I’m getting one as soon as it is available to me.

• Like 7

I have heard from several people who work in HR at several companies that most are talking about making the vaccine a condition of employment for any employees that work onsite at a company facility.  This will also probably be true for students attending public schools.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

No didn’t see that program.  Were they saying anything else important?  

I have never understood people who resist getting vaccinations.  I’m sure there will people who don’t get this one, unfortunately.  I’m getting one as soon as it is available to me.

This may seem like a radical idea, but instead of saying "I have never understood people who...", might it be better to do some research and find out the "why" of it? You might learn something, and even if you disagree, you'll at least understand what is behind their position.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

It is pretty cool I know one of the scientist working on this. My wife and I used to babysit her daughter, who went onto win two olympic gold medals

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=hu&u=https://forbes.hu/uzlet/hanyatatott-sorsu-magyar-szabadalom-is-kellett-a-most-bejelentett-vakcinahoz/&prev=search&pto=aue

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

This may seem like a radical idea, but instead of saying "I have never understood people who...", might it be better to do some research and find out the "why" of it? You might learn something, and even if you disagree, you'll at least understand what is behind their position.

I am very clear on the "why" of two of my nearby relatives.  "Ain't no government person gonna tell me I gotta get a vaccine.  I've just stopped by the gun sales store and grabbed a bunch more ammo....it's getting hard to find!".   I think that's the why of a bunch of folks...at least around here.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Fantastic news.  Two companies (Pfizer and Moderna) providing vaccines will speed up supply and distribution.  Looking forward to seeing Moderna's results. 

“It validates the mRNA platform,” Fauci said. “You have every reason to believe, unless something strange happens, that Moderna will likely have similar results.”

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I am very clear on the "why" of two of my nearby relatives.  "Ain't no government person gonna tell me I gotta get a vaccine.  I've just stopped by the gun sales store and grabbed a bunch more ammo....it's getting hard to find!".   I think that's the why of a bunch of folks...at least around here.  

No, you're confusing the symptom with the cause. The question you have to ask is "WHY isn't a government person gonna tell you to get a vaccine?" Why is the motivation, not the action.

7 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Yep. Right in the middle of a post I was doing, the board completely whited out. Then, I couldn't get back on. CC maybe doing some maintenance?

5 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

I even saw a news story that distribution of the vaccine may even begin by the end of this month!

I seem to recall when the State's were tasked to begin preparations for distribution to the ranked priorities for the initial dosage supplies there were a lot of "moaners."  So, while the others did, they'll need to catch up. 

The nursing homes, front line health care and responders are at the top of the list rightfully. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

Yup, the anti vaxxers will actually make it easier for those who want to get a vaccine 🙂

• Like 6