Advice will pretty much be obsolete when we sail again

Markanddonna

54 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Because those same individuals will also go to the front of the line for themselves, their families and cronies.

I'm not a professional athlete, but I do work in a profession that gets priority.  In fact, I've already received notification that I can receive my shot VERY soon.

That said, I gave blood a couple months ago and found I have the antibodies.  As I suspected, I had COVID back in January.  Otherwise, I'm still a pretty strong and healthy dude.  Unless I'm ordered to, I have no intention of going to the front of the line to get my shot.  In fact, I plan to wait until Spring so that I know those with high risk conditions are taken care of first.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I'm not a professional athlete, but I do work in a profession that gets priority.  In fact, I've already received notification that I can receive my shot VERY soon.

That said, I gave blood a couple months ago and found I have the antibodies.  As I suspected, I had COVID back in January.  Otherwise, I'm still a pretty strong and healthy dude.  Unless I'm ordered to, I have no intention of going to the front of the line to get my shot.  In fact, I plan to wait until Spring so that I know those with high risk conditions are taken care of first.  

Of course there will most definitely be a general priority system - health care, first responders, aged individuals, preconditions, etc.  This is a different topic all together.

Congratulations on having a positive outcome on your previous COVID case!  I was working around a lot of professional services consultants that were flying regularly last January/February and I also got very sick at that time.  I have wondered if it was COVID, but haven't taken the antibody test (or active test for that matter)

One thing about COVID - I can't remember ever going this long without getting any kind of cold/flu!  I guess there is something to all this social distancing / isolation.

On 11/20/2020 at 12:21 PM, clo said:

Post-9/11 has caused permanent changes. Why not post-COVID.

Because once the virus is beaten by the vaccine(s) the threat will be gone. In NZ  most things are normal. I try to remember to check in with a QR code at businesses, we can't leave the country (well we can but its expensive and hard to get back) - but everything else is back to normal. There are concerts, crowds, people hug, no masks, no distancing in cinemas etc. 

This happened after SARS, Ebola, Spanish Flu,Asian Flu, it will happen after COVID - hopefully within the year 

2 hours ago, lissie said:

Because once the virus is beaten by the vaccine(s) the threat will be gone. 

But that is the issue how to get everyone to take the vaccine 😕. Some countries will achieve high vaccination rates others will not which will lead to the problem of how to regulate international travel. Personally I think vaccinations are going to become part and parcel of travel just like passports and visas. 

On 12/1/2020 at 10:37 AM, Aquahound said:

That said, I gave blood a couple months ago and found I have the antibodies.  As I suspected, I had COVID back in January. 

Interesting but we are glad you are not showing long term side effects.

Do you think you returned to work under asymptomatic conditions in January or February?

Also,  do you work with the public where they would have been exposed and where do you think you got bitten by the bug?

Edited by JRG
spelling

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

But that is the issue how to get everyone to take the vaccine 😕. Some countries will achieve high vaccination rates others will not which will lead to the problem of how to regulate international travel. Personally I think vaccinations are going to become part and parcel of travel just like passports and visas. 

I read yesterday that FDNY (NY fire dept) was polled and only about half are willing to get the vaccine. Same for the police and their unions aren't going to require. It makes me nuts.

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Qantas has already stated that a vaccination will be required on their international fights when they resume in May?  Any cruise line who doesn't require vaccination would be nuts , and I imagine it will be mandated anyways. 

Already talk in NZ that we can open our borders to vaccinated visitors before our entire population is vaccinated. (Thats a logistic issue - roll out here is slated for March - but with no cases in the community we're not really a priority as a country) . 

It will be just like yellow fever - if you've been somewhere where the disease is endemic you'll need to show proof of vaccination to return to a country that has it under control. I still have a yellow fever certificate which is also a vaccination record - produced by the WHO - so the technology is there - but hopefully they will upgrade it from paper 

On 12/7/2020 at 11:54 AM, clo said:

I read yesterday that FDNY (NY fire dept) was polled and only about half are willing to get the vaccine. Same for the police and their unions aren't going to require. It makes me nuts.

I believe a lot of people who say they will not get the vaccine are really just wanting others to get it first and then see if there is a negative reaction.  They don't want to be guinea pigs.  I don't look at it like that and will be happy to receive it when my chance comes.

I suspect that there is a great deal of half baked information being pushed around by people who really are not in possession of the facts or knowledgeable about the science.  Some people are arriving at conclusions, disguised as fact, based on partial information, no information, or pure conjecture.

Why not wait until accurate data is released by those professional directly involved in the vaccine and the vaccine rollout?

Who wants to trust their health and well being to Facebook University School of Medicine graduates?

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, iancal said:

I suspect that there is a great deal of half baked information being pushed around by people who really are not in possession of the facts or knowledgeable about the science.  Some people are arriving at conclusions, disguised as fact, based on partial information, no information, or pure conjecture.

Why not wait until accurate data is released by those professional directly involved in the vaccine and the vaccine rollout?

Who wants to trust their health and well being to Facebook University School of Medicine graduates?

I agree. I've spoken with some allegedly not stupid people but who are really not well informed. I think some of it 'political' and some just not keeping up. Things continue to change and IMO that will be how we live for a year maybe. I'm guessing it will take til at least late '21 before we have enough data.