Need advice: Do we book July 4, 2021 week or do we wait?

LongHill44

We were going to cruise last year but covid put the breaks on that.  We would really love to cruise this coming July 4th week as all 3 kids will be home from college. 

Do you think there is any chance they will be cruising by then?

Any if so, we can assume masks and safe distancing will still be in place?

Thanks for any input.

Sure there's a chance.  There's also a chance I can win the lottery.  

And yes, you can assume masks and safe distancing will be in place and you can assume you'll be confined to your cabin.

Sorry, I know this is harsh, but no one here knows what will happen with a cruise that's almost 9 months away.  

Some people are willing to put down money and hope for the best, others, not so much.  

• Like 1

Always a chance. We are booked on a July 3rd out of Miami but have figured out our 'back up' plan for visiting places in south Florida that week in case they pull the plug on us.  I was ok with the $500 deposit, it won't make or break my budget.  Final payment not due till spring and am hoping by then to have a better idea of how things are going.  For our back up, we booked hotel rooms using refundable options.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LongHill44 said:

We were going to cruise last year but covid put the breaks on that.  We would really love to cruise this coming July 4th week as all 3 kids will be home from college. 

Thanks for any input.

I just booked a cruise for the end of March, so maybe I am a little more confident than you are.  With a successful vaccine in full distribution by then, I don't think you have anything to worry about 🙂

6 hours ago, LongHill44 said:

Thanks for any input.

Yes, I think SOME cruises will be sailing by next July.  Would I book anything before cruises actually start back up and I know how they are going and what the protocols will be?  No I wouldn't.

• Like 1

I have 7 or 8 cruises booked from jan to sept 2021.    Yes, jan will be cancelled that I am sure of, after that noone knows for sure but the planning is fun too!

If you book, book refundable.

I wouldnt book any air or hotel till you know for sure or if you must book, do refundable fares.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RKHOOKER said:

No chance.

Biden is going to lockdown the USA.  He has talked to the Australian Prime Minister & is very interested in our successful response to Covid using lockdown & contact tracing.

Australia is one of the handful of countries where you can quarantine and isolate an entire country successfully.  

It will never happen in the US - individual states control how they will respond to the pandemic, not the federal government.  

17 hours ago, travelhound said:

I just booked a cruise for the end of March, so maybe I am a little more confident than you are.  With a successful vaccine in full distribution by then, I don't think you have anything to worry about 🙂

Wow, you are a true optimist.  There is NO WAY that every scheduled cruise in March is sailing.  Maybe a few.......

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Wow, you are a true optimist.  There is NO WAY that every scheduled cruise in March is sailing.  Maybe a few.......

I agree, not all scheduled cruises will sail.  I just rescheduled a 9 night for a 7 night, which meets the current CDC requirements.  There are no guarantees, but with the CDC lifting the no sail order and a successful vaccine soon to start distribution, I am confident that my 7 night cruise at the end of March has a good chance of sailing 😀