HiPanama Canal 2022

lodge172

Its a great trip...but even in January & February its soooooo very HOT.  I cNt imagine what July would be like. We spent alot of time outside & took breaks to hydrate. I did QE2 as part of the world cruise(NYC to LA) & on Azamara ( San Diego to Miami). 

As long as your good w the heat & humidity...its a great trip.

We did an excursion to the canal from the qm2 and it was ok. We also did a transit fla. to la and i believe is was a 16 night cruise [QE] that included some ports in central and south america . To be honest we prefer our x mas carib. cruise, i doubt we would visit the s and c americas again ,the transit was....well after 2 locks ....yawn.....but as long as you are on board you cant help but enjoy a cunard ship and its offerings . 

We had to tender for the excursion and it was our first time there so we didn't know where to look ......i wasn't too impressed by the country . Their creativity with buses and wheeled transportation was entertaining as was sub-urban roofing . 

Just booked the same cruise- but San Francisco-Barcelona.

Tropics is tropics - hot and humid - unlikely to vary more than a degree. Its more important about how likely cyclones are that time of year. We cruised with Queen Elizabeth to Papua New Guinea and Queensland in February - and the ship managed the temperatures and humidity pretty well. They could use a shade sail over the aft pool - but apart from that it was pretty good. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been through the cancel four times.    It has always been hot, humid and buggy.   It was very interesting the first time, boring the other times, especially since it is too hot to enjoy any outdoor activities.   My husband would like to go through the new canal and the QM2 would fit through it.   He is very much into the engineering, me not so much.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I have been through the cancel four times.    It has always been hot, humid and buggy.   It was very interesting the first time, boring the other times, especially since it is too hot to enjoy any outdoor activities.   My husband would like to go through the new canal and the QM2 would fit through it.   He is very much into the engineering, me not so much.

QM2 could possibly fit into the new locks, but not under the Bridge of the America’s on the Pacific end.  EM

Hi we did San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale via Panama Canal in July 2019

IMHO it was the angle of the sun as opposed to the temperature that meant I wore a hat and slapped on my factor 50.

Im fair skinned and burn easily but I was fine.

You'll enjoy it - always wanted to do the Panama Canal and wasn’t disappointed.

14 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

QM2 could possibly fit into the new locks, but not under the Bridge of the America’s on the Pacific end.  EM

When we did the transit we were told that Panama was looking at ways of increasing the height of the Bridge of the Americas so that ships like the QM2 could fit underneath. Not sure how they could do this though.

Wishing All considering the Panama Canal sailing either thru the entire length or just one side Best Wishes sailing either on the QM2, QE and/or QV.

We did both once. Once the QE2 the entire length from West to East and once on the QM2 from the East Coast.

Both were so Memorable to experience.

Yes the entire length is a very long day that on the QE2 started around 5:30 AM and was completed around 5:30 PM. The time we went is was very hot. Medical Department warned us to take breaks and go inside to cool off for awhile and then we returned. Very memorable the video and photos we took and enjoy watching every once in awhile.

It's funny but after doing the Panama Canal both East to West (QE2) and West to East (Azamara) and both cruises taken in January & February.

They are longer cruises which were quite relaxing and the weather being quite hot( it's a good substitute for a Carib or Mexican Riviera cruise) and going all the way through the canal is always exciting(my Great Uncle was an Engineer on the original Canal Build).

Theres so much else to see in the world so it'll be awhile b4 I return. 

But if you have the 2 weeks or so it's a better trip instead of the 7 day partial transit.

On 11/26/2020 at 7:23 PM, Essiesmom said:

QM2 could possibly fit into the new locks, but not under the Bridge of the America’s on the Pacific end.

Under certain tidal conditions, with prior arrangement and permission, QM2 could pass under the bridge.

There is a specific paragraph in the Canal Regulations for a ship with QM2's air draft, which as you say is greater than that permitted for unrestricted transit, but is actually just less than the actual clearance under the bridge at low tide.

"f. Maximum Height

The allowable height for any vessel transiting the Canal or entering the Port of Balboa at any state of the tide is 57.91 meters (190 feet) measured from the waterline to its highest  point. With prior permission from the Transit Operations Division Executive Manager, height  may be permitted to 62.5 meters (205 feet) on a case-by-case basis, with passage at low water (MLWS) at Balboa. Maximum Height Restrictions are due to the tide and the  unpredictable upward movement of water from swells, surges, waves, etc., and  maintenance equipment suspended beneath the bridge at Balboa."

Edited by Underwatr