Moderna Covid Vaccine 94.5% Effective

13 hours ago, molly361 said:

I'm relaxed  Not a fan of any injections.  Don't get a flu shot😇

I can't stand the thought of a needle going into me, but I don't let it stop me from getting shots that I need or should have. Have someone there to talk to you to distract you and it'll be over with. I don't know what it is, but as much as I hate them sometimes I just have to look. 😱  Then the big knot in the stomach comes. I never said I was smart. 🤣

8 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Pfizer had a guaranteed purchase order that motivated them. 

The order came in July when they were about to start phase 3 trials. Nevertheless, I am sure that any manufacturer knew that if they produce an effective vaccine, the purchase of their product was likely guaranteed.

• Like 1

This is regarding the pfeizer vaccine, but dont see that thread. 4 states will be the first to get it, texas among the 4, looked like Rhode island, maybe was Tennessee..saw it on tv screen half asleep. Cdc determined which 4 states would get it first. 

Monday a panel will meet who gets it first and those most vulnerable mentioned. I was attacked for saying this very thing and told of course it will be hospitals. They still maybe be among first, but the segment said the panel monday will decide. Maybe this needs it's own thread, but looks like it's coming to texas very soon. 

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

This is regarding the pfeizer vaccine, but dont see that thread. 4 states will be the first to get it, texas among the 4, looked like Rhode island, maybe was Tennessee..saw it on tv screen half asleep. Cdc determined which 4 states would get it first. 

Monday a panel will meet who gets it first and those most vulnerable mentioned. I was attacked for saying this very thing and told of course it will be hospitals. They still maybe be among first, but the segment said the panel monday will decide. Maybe this needs it's own thread, but looks like it's coming to texas very soon. 

It says in a couple of articles the 4 states wouldnt get it any earlier than other states. Not sure then what the trial delivery means if not shipping the actual drug to the 4 states. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/17/pfizer-launches-covid-19-vaccine-delivery-trial-in-four-us-states

20201117_040450661.jpeg

7 hours ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Some countries have real leaders! Our narcissistic oversized boy did not get enough attention while growing up. Johnson & Johnson's vaccine may be even better requiring one dose only. Light at the end of the tunnel for the besieged cruise lines.

Politics again.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Well, maybe Moderna would not have been available, but Pfizer did not receive funds from the OWS/CARES Act. 

Do you not admit that much of the red tape was removed so that we would have a vaccine in record time?  I’m pretty sure we promised to buy x amount of vaccines for x amount of dollars. How could that not have helped?

M8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That's a good thing.  

When the time is right, let’s get the line started. They also aren’t the only company Canada bought vaccines from, on top of investing in a Quebec company who was trying to make one.  For once it was not Bombardier😉, but still feels like a similar situation. 

23 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

When the time is right, let’s get the line started. They also aren’t the only company Canada bought vaccines from, on top of investing in a Quebec company who was trying to make one.  For once it was not Bombardier😉, but still feels like a similar situation. 

Saw a report yesterday we've actually pre-bought too much..... something like more than 2 doses per Canadian.
The report was one of the typical hysterical "wealthy countries hoarding vaccine" type..... but nevertheless we were top of the charts on a per capita basis....... by A LOT.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Saw a report yesterday we've actually pre-bought too much..... something like more than 2 doses per Canadian.
The report was one of the typical hysterical "wealthy countries hoarding vaccine" type..... but nevertheless we were top of the charts on a per capita basis....... by A LOT.

Yes, however most countries were buying from many different suppliers as they did not know which if any would be successful.  They have not overbought from any one supplier. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NateUpNorth said:

I think it's going to be difficult to buy too much, considering the demand for vaccination.

On 11/16/2020 at 7:40 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

Thankful for Operation Warp Speed. Months instead on years. 

M8

This is absolutely true, but does everyone realize based on the raw numbers of Moderna study, that 15,000 people got the placebo shots and only 90 of them got Covid during the test period.  So, it would seem that getting no shot was 99.4% effective.  Statistics are awesome and so easy to manipulate.  

The other side of the study where the 94.5% comes from is that of the 15000 who actually got the vaccine 5 of them got Covid.  So, it was 18 times less likely to get Covid.

That said, I was shocked at how few of the 30,000 test individuals actually developed Covid. Which makes me a bit skeptical about the claims.  I would still take the shots if they offered it to me.  

jc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

This is absolutely true, but does everyone realize based on the raw numbers of Moderna study, that 15,000 people got the placebo shots and only 90 of them got Covid during the test period.  So, it would seem that getting no shot was 99.4% effective.  Statistics are awesome and so easy to manipulate.  

The other side of the study where the 94.5% comes from is that of the 15000 who actually got the vaccine 5 of them got Covid.  So, it was 18 times less likely to get Covid.

That said, I was shocked at how few of the 30,000 test individuals actually developed Covid. Which makes me a bit skeptical about the claims.  I would still take the shots if they offered it to me.  

jc

Forgive me, if I am misunderstanding something.  Isn't the measurement of success related to building antibodies?

18 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I understand.   I hate needles too.    When I was a kid I used to scream and cry whenever I saw a needle coming for me.     Now I'm in my early 50's i don't make a fuss except when a lab tech takes several jabs to draw blood.   That I hate!     

I got my flu shot on Thursday and just felt like a bee sting to me.    

Yes, I was at a very high end medical facility for my annual corporate health, a very nice perk, that I used to get here.  We would arrive the night before flew in on the corporate jet with the owner who was a big believer in the process flying the plane.  Eat dinner, get up and the next day from 7AM until 3PM get everything from heart scans, dermatology, bloodwork, heart studies where you get on the treadmill hooked up to a million electronic leads until you collapse, and several other processes.  First thing was always, bloodwork, and any vaccines you need such as flu shots, or shingles or pneumonia etc.  The lab technician blew out all of the veins on my left arm before she let someone else do my right arm... MY BP must have been off the charts.  I donate blood at least 4 times a year, and I dread it each and every time.

jc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Forgive me, if I am misunderstanding something.  Isn't the measurement of success related to building antibodies?

Sure, but 99.4% of the people without antibodies, didn’t get the disease which is the purpose of the vaccine.  

5 people still got the disease while getting the shots.

On the upside, the ones who got really sick were in the placebo group.  

JC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Sure, but 99.4% of the people without antibodies, didn’t get the disease which is the purpose of the vaccine.  

5 people still got the disease while getting the shots.

On the upside, the ones who got really sick were in the placebo group.  

JC

Did everyone in both groups still practice social distancing and wearing masks?

If so then that's 5 people still caught it while taking all the current precautions....still not good and makes you wonder what the numbers would be if people with the vaccine resume normal routines.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If so then that's 5 people still caught it while taking all the current precautions....still not good and makes you wonder what the numbers would be if people with the vaccine resume normal routines.

Yeah this is my question.  Were they purposely exposed to people who had the virus?  Were they put in high exposure areas?  Did they stop using masks and shake hands with everyone they met?  How do they know these people were exposed?  Unless I'm just missing something, 30,000 people is not much of a test.  

I would have thought the test would be levels of antibodies in their blood work, and that the efficacy would be seeing high enough levels to produce immunity. 

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Idk about where you are, but I tried to volunteer but they were only taking front line workers or minorities and I was turned down. You had to be continually exposed to the public to qualify for the vaccine study here. I took the questionnaire and heard comments on our news, like ok follow the link, but right now they need more minorities etc. I was told sorry, I wasnt in enough contact with others. Darn. I tried a few times. Last study they only took seniors with symptoms, didnt qualify again.

Lol been trying to get into a study.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Here they took front line workers. A fire chief was in the study. They wanted grocery store clerks etc. Too many white people volunteered. Then because minorities hit so hard, they were specifically looking for Hispanics and blacks who were front line workers. Police, fireman, grocery store clerks, etc. Push to get minorities later in study. Our news had links and would say who they were looking for for the studies here.

Wish I'd qualified. I tried to volunteer ha. Fb says they looking for seniors but if you follow the link you have to have symptoms to get in whatever the latest study is for.

So far I cant qualify for any of the studies. 

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Here they took front line workers. A fire chief was in the study. They wanted grocery store clerks etc. Too many white people volunteered. Then because minorities hit so hard, they were specifically looking for Hispanics and blacks who were front line workers. Police, fireman, grocery store clerks, etc. Push to get minorities later in study. Our news had links and would say who they were looking for for the studies here.

Wish I'd qualified. I tried to volunteer ha. Fb says they looking for seniors but if you follow the link you have to have symptoms to get in whatever the latest study is for.

So far I cant qualify for any of the studies. 

I'm a senior and I'll wait.  On the plus side, I've got type O blood and got my flu senior shot.😄

• Like 1