Moderna Covid Vaccine 94.5% Effective

8 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Is this one also a 2 shot needed deal?  Don't know how the logistics of all this is going to work.  Just like testing there will be lines with hours of waiting time to get one.  Then how to you make sure that you can get the second dose?

Unlike testing, I believe it will be handled like the flu shots--MDs, pharmacies, supermarkets with pharmacies, etc. will be given approval to administer the vaccine.  Also, wonder if they will come up with a senior dose as with the flu shots.

You assume that there will be a run by the entire population.  There will be many that will take a wait and see approach.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Is this one also a 2 shot needed deal?  Don't know how the logistics of all this is going to work.  Just like testing there will be lines with hours of waiting time to get one.  Then how to you make sure that you can get the second dose?

Yes - 2 shots.

The location where you receive your first injection will receive a second dose.  You will receive paperwork so you can go elsewhere.  

In Tucson we vaccinated almost 100K people in clinics in just a week some 40 years ago.  It is not hard.  Doing vaccinations initially at your corner pharmacy impossible to do more than a few dozen a day.  Setting up tents in parking lots or common areas in a mall works well.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Unlike testing, I believe it will be handled like the flu shots--MDs, pharmacies, supermarkets with pharmacies, etc. will be given approval to administer the vaccine.  Also, wonder if they will come up with a senior dose as with the flu shots.

You assume that there will be a run by the entire population.  There will be many that will take a wait and see approach.

I am still blown away by the number of people and lines to get tested still today with people that have no symptoms getting tested so I am sure there will be very long lines for the vaccine

20 minutes ago, molly361 said:

It was reported 20 million (10 million people), doses by end of December with Nursing home/elderly and Health care workers first.

So yes 2 doses per person.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I am still blown away by the number of people and lines to get tested still today with people that have no symptoms getting tested so I am sure there will be very long lines for the vaccine

Molly - relax.  You will go to a vaccination clinic.  Fill out your paperwork.  A vaccination takes 30 seconds.  Just a quick shot.  You get paperwork and a date to return.

Since first responders are first that takes 5-10% away.  Next anyone in a care facility done there.  At almost same time anyone over 65.  Some not everyone will show up at same time and place.

Our town of 500,000 used several vacant stores.  Set up multiple lines for paperwork and injwction stations.  The longest wait was sitting in a chair for 10 minutes after the injection.

1 minute ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Molly - relax.  You will go to a vaccination clinic.  Fill out your paperwork.  A vaccination takes 30 seconds.  Just a quick shot.  You get paperwork and a date to return.

Since first responders are first that takes 5-10% away.  Next anyone in a care facility done there.  At almost same time anyone over 65.  Some not everyone will show up at same time and place.

Our town of 500,000 used several vacant stores.  Set up multiple lines for paperwork and injwction stations.  The longest wait was sitting in a chair for 10 minutes after the injection.

I'm relaxed  Not a fan of any injections.  Don't get a flu shot😇

Just now, molly361 said:

Afraid of needles?  It's such a quick little thing to deal with and if it's like the flu shot, they use a very small needle.  Also, in my opinion, like other vaccines, the illness is much worse than the shot.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Another bit of good news is that Johnson and Johnson’s vaccine, which is currently in phase 3 trials may require only one shot and doesn’t need to be frozen. 

That's good news as shareholder.  Got Pfizer & J&J in my portfolio.  All I need now is Astra Zeneca & Glaxo and I'll be covered.☺️☺️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

It was reported 20 million (10 million people), doses by end of December with Nursing home/elderly and Health care workers first.

60 million if you add the 40 million doses from Pfizer by the end of this year.  Vaccinations could proceed faster than originally estimated 🙂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Another bit of good news is that Johnson and Johnson’s vaccine, which is currently in phase 3 trials may require only one shot and doesn’t need to be frozen. 

There could be quite a few vaccines available by the end of this year 🙂

32 minutes ago, molly361 said:

You might want to this year.  The flu puts people in the hospital too, they're not somewhere I'd want to be this winter.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

You might want to this year.  The flu puts people in the hospital too, they're not somewhere I'd want to be this winter.

Read where it's supposed to work well against Covid.  Also, if you have type O blood.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Read where it's supposed to work well against Covid.  Also, if you have type O blood.

I'm type O- but no one else in my family is.  My parents and sisters and both sons (and DH) are A-.  I will say I've always been very healthy.  Flu shot is good because it's one less illness that can cause complications this year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BND said:

I'm type O- but no one else in my family is.  My parents and sisters and both sons (and DH) are A-.  I will say I've always been very healthy.  Flu shot is good because it's one less illness that can cause complications this year.

Same here.   Been pretty healthy except for some aches and pains.  From an heredity standpoint, my mom is 102 and her father passed away at 103. 

Unusual to have only one member of the family with type

O.  What about your Grandparents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Today's flu shot injections you barely feel it.  Don't even realize it when given.

I’ve only gotten the flu shot the last 3 years, but the last time, he was cleaning everything up and I sat there and said, Are you done? Seriously, didn’t feel a thing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Same here.   Been pretty healthy except for some aches and pains.  From an heredity standpoint, my mom is 102 and her father passed away at 103. 

Unusual to have only one member of the family with type

O.  What about your Grandparents.

I think one of my maternal grandparents was.  I'm 60 so they've been gone 19 and 36 yrs.   My mom did say a few years ago she couldn't figure out how her blood type was A- because of her parents types , but I can't remember exactly what she said.  I did take the time to explain to her how blood type genetics work.   I took AP biology my Sr yr in HS and genetics was my favorite part of that course.  As for my dad's parents, no idea (gone 32 and 48 yrs).   I do know O-, while being a universal donor is also rarer than A.  Obviously each of my parents inherited AO from their parents.  Also, we've all done ancestry so I know for a fact they're my parents lol.  

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I guess we're just a couple of pincushions here because it seems like we've had every single vaccine ever given (including the swine flu one in the '70s), so nothing to us to get another one LOL.

I just hope one of the Covid vaccines helps us get on our next cruise - on the "Survivor of the Seas"😄

• Like 3

3 hours ago, beerman2 said:

If they have 20mm doses available in December why not give 20mm people their first shot then?  By the time those folks come back a month later for their second shot enough new doses will have been produced to accommodate them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

If they have 20mm doses available in December why not give 20mm people their first shot then?  By the time those folks come back a month later for their second shot enough new doses will have been produced to accommodate them.

That’s common sense, however not how it was explained this morning 

1 hour ago, SeaHunt said:

I guess we're just a couple of pincushions here because it seems like we've had every single vaccine ever given (including the swine flu one in the '70s), so nothing to us to get another one LOL.

I just hope one of the Covid vaccines helps us get on our next cruise - on the "Survivor of the Seas"😄

We get flu shots every year.   DH just went and got pneumonia and a tetanus booster.  I'm not due for tetanus for another couple of years, but I do need to go get the pneumonia one, usually given to over 65, but they're recommending 60+ this year.  I didn't know he was going as he stopped on his way back from a meeting to grab a few groceries and just went for it.  I'll have to try to go myself soon.  We both got Shringrix in the last couple of years also.    As a kid I hated shots, but after I grew up and got pregnant, I got used to needles and now don't really notice much, even if it hurts a little, so what?  

• Like 3