Considering Celebrity...

Tippyton

Background...  Previously we've done HAL x1, PCL x1, NCL x1, and CCL x7.  DW and I are now empty nesters and very simple folks.  CCL was all with kids except our 1st cruise, PCL was Alaska with the in-laws in 2018, HAL was a Christmas Cruise with the whole family, and DW and I did a last minute NCL getaway a few years back.  CCL works for us due to the simplicity.  PCL was a great cruise, and we had fun on our NCL.  The HAL trip was very unmemorable.

We're wanting to broaden our horizons on destinations.  Last year we did an Eastern Caribbean out of PR and enjoyed it.  We've found a Celebrity itinerary that hits all the islands we missed the first go around.  We like the itinerary but are hesitant for the plain fact that we are very simple people.  DW doesn't drink alcohol, and I barely do (wine with dinner mostly).  DW will usually get the non-al package.  Our portfolio at the end of each cruise is usually a one-pager.  It's not a money thing per se - we are judicious with our spend on things, but love experiences.  Thus, we do not like paying for things that are of no value to us.  We tend to book private unless the risk of pier-running is high.😝

Having said all of this, the itinerary (12-day Southern Caribbean)  looks fun and hits islands we didn't see, plus goes to St. Lucia which we loved.  No other line offers a similar itinerary, but hesitant about the new all-inclusive pricing.  So, Celebrity celebrities - talk us into it, or out of it 🤔

If given the chance I would talk you " INTO IT"! Your one and only HAL cruise may be the closest to be compared with the X- experience! I sailed HAL twice, great service- great food -I still  prefer X over HAL. Refined service - wonderful - elegant ships- I am not a big fan of the HAL ships interior!

• Thanks 1

Celebrity will be as close to what you seek as any mass market cruise line.

The service and cuisine exceeds HAL. 

There is no comparison to Carnival or NCL either. Much more refined and laid back but definitely not stuffy.

Celebrity is often lumped with Princess but we have had better vibes all the way around from Celebrity.

On a 12 night cruise you won't find many children unless it is a holiday sailing like the Equinox we have booked under a Lift and Shift when our holiday 2020 cruise was cancelled.

I think you will feel comfortable, we always have and I too am not a party girl. 

When you book please join the Roll Call. This will give you the best intro to the cruise, your fellow passengers and a sun drenched itinerary.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Sometimes it is worth just ‘giving it a go’ and trying a new cruise experience.

Celebrity to us is about a feeling of rest and relaxation on board...The service is attentive without being ‘stuffy’. Entertainment  is there if you want it but many guests prefer the ambience of the bar areas where conversation is more important than the alcohol. Food throughout the ship is very good. Limited speciality dining options on Infinity but if your focus is on your destinations you will probably be more than happy with the MDR.

If your pricing comes with a classic drinks package I wouldn’t feel ‘what a waste’, I would look at the non-alcoholic things you would still enjoy. For example....

Cafe El Bachio has quality coffee and teas and with its complementary cakes and pastries is a nice places to start the day or enjoy after an excursion or after dinner. A nice place to sit and relax...

Soda and water at no cost. 

The poolside bars will happily make you nonalcoholic versions of cool poolside cocktails...

Add in an occasional glass of wine with dinner or perhaps one or two real cocktails and I don’t think you will feel ‘cheated’.

The only caution I would give is that Infinity is an older ship in the fleet and that it has not had it’s planned refresh...It will be spotlessly clean and well designed but your room may look a little tired as may some of the general areas around the ship.

Sincere best wishes for a fantastic cruise!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tippyton said:

Background...  Previously we've done HAL x1, PCL x1, NCL x1, and CCL x7.  DW and I are now empty nesters and very simple folks.  CCL was all with kids except our 1st cruise, PCL was Alaska with the in-laws in 2018, HAL was a Christmas Cruise with the whole family, and DW and I did a last minute NCL getaway a few years back.  CCL works for us due to the simplicity.  PCL was a great cruise, and we had fun on our NCL.  The HAL trip was very unmemorable.

We're wanting to broaden our horizons on destinations.  Last year we did an Eastern Caribbean out of PR and enjoyed it.  We've found a Celebrity itinerary that hits all the islands we missed the first go around.  We like the itinerary but are hesitant for the plain fact that we are very simple people.  DW doesn't drink alcohol, and I barely do (wine with dinner mostly).  DW will usually get the non-al package.  Our portfolio at the end of each cruise is usually a one-pager.  It's not a money thing per se - we are judicious with our spend on things, but love experiences.  Thus, we do not like paying for things that are of no value to us.  We tend to book private unless the risk of pier-running is high.😝

Having said all of this, the itinerary (12-day Southern Caribbean)  looks fun and hits islands we didn't see, plus goes to St. Lucia which we loved.  No other line offers a similar itinerary, but hesitant about the new all-inclusive pricing.  So, Celebrity celebrities - talk us into it, or out of it 🤔

I wouldn't book any Celebrity cruise at the current rates.  The prices are inflated with the new pricing structure.  They want to give the appearance of a luxury cruise line by raising the prices.  Celebrity isn't even close to a luxury line for the non-suite guest.  Go back and check the prices on similar itineraries on the other cruise lines you have tried and you'll see a huge difference.  You can then make an informed decision if the higher price is worth the new experience and to see a different Southern Caribbean island.  I'm not sure which islands you have missed, but many look alike.

• Like 1

IMO you will love Celebrity.  It is certainly nicer then the rest of the mainstream cruise lines.  

Having sailed on all multiple times, we always come back to Celebrity or Royal Oasis class ships.  We love the S class ships, especially the Silhouette and Reflection.  But have had wonderful vacations on the Edge and M class ships also. 

We like Celebrity, have cruised most of the major lines. The only negative is entertainment I think most other lines are better. What we love is the Celebrity suites and perks food and service in there suite restaurant Luminae is excellent. It’s more of a adult line with less children similar to HAL, I do not think normal MDR is better than HAL or other lines. I do think there buffet is really better than other lines. 

• Like 1

If your concern is the elevated pricing right now, and you still want to book, do so but keep checking prices.  Celebrity will allow you a refund in difference if prices go down.  With all the comments from non drinkers paying for perks not wanted, Celebrity might start to offer a 'no perks' option down the road.  The cruise you're thinking of booking is wonderful....there's not many longer cruises being offered...seem to be moving to 7 nights.

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I wouldn't book any Celebrity cruise at the current rates.  The prices are inflated with the new pricing structure.  They want to give the appearance of a luxury cruise line by raising the prices.  Celebrity isn't even close to a luxury line for the non-suite guest.  Go back and check the prices on similar itineraries on the other cruise lines you have tried and you'll see a huge difference.  You can then make an informed decision if the higher price is worth the new experience and to see a different Southern Caribbean island.  I'm not sure which islands you have missed, but many look alike.

Totally agree with this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

Do they have set dining times or do they have an anytime dining option?  We the like flexibility of anytime dining for dinner in the MDR.  Also, what is the dress in the MDR?

They have anytime dining and the dress is casual in the MDR and in Specialty restaurants....mostly up to you.  BTW, might be advantageous for you to do a mock booking for the cruise you're thinking of.  All the choices will be there and the Q&A helps too.

• Thanks 1

With a dozen or so HAL cruises to date, I'll go against the flow here and suggest that you consider them if you are concerned about Celebrity pricing. Don't get me wrong, the Equinox 12-night cruise is a good choice and we have it booked for our next cruise as it has a great itinerary. 

As you haven't mentioned dates, it's hard to compare prices, but HAL has an 11-night Southern Caribbean Wayfarer cruise that you might want to consider. They use the Nieuw Statendam for this itinerary, an excellent ship on which we spent 14 night last summer cruising Norway.

Bottom line is that you would probably enjoy either cruise. If the pricing is similar, go with Celebrity, as you do get an extra day. But if the AI drives prices even higher on Celebrity, don't hesitate to book with HAL. 

• Thanks 1

Naturally, the primary consideration is pricing and if the cost is nestled nicely within the parameters of your cruising budget, a trip on a ship from the X brand would definitely be a worthwhile expenditure. Don't be concerned with inclusions offering perks that you might not take full advantage of, there will be other amenities within the same offering that you will enjoy.

Wherever you cruise, Celebrity itineraries are fantastic. I would refer you to January 2022 cruises to the Southern Caribbean on Equinox from Ft. Lauderdale. The 12 night version seems to fit what you are looking for. The way the itinerary is set up with two sea days out and two sea days back is perfect.

Celebrity will take good care of you, providing a level of service that makes the experience special. If the cruise fits, do it. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Frankly, gotta agree.  After over 30 cruises on =X=, not seeing the value in the new pricing structure.

And for the OP, the booze package is just ridiculous to get coffee, water and soft drinks.  You likely would be paying $10 or more per water/soda/coffee.

Simply not going to pay almost Azamara prices to get the Celebrity experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welp... I was a day too early.  Not offering the itinerary in the timeframe we were looking at, aaaaannnnndddd the AI price went up $1000 PP for the trip.  I'm out.  Thanks everybody for your efforts in helping us out.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:11 AM, Fouremco said:

With a dozen or so HAL cruises to date, I'll go against the flow here and suggest that you consider them if you are concerned about Celebrity pricing. Don't get me wrong, the Equinox 12-night cruise is a good choice and we have it booked for our next cruise as it has a great itinerary. 

As you haven't mentioned dates, it's hard to compare prices, but HAL has an 11-night Southern Caribbean Wayfarer cruise that you might want to consider. They use the Nieuw Statendam for this itinerary, an excellent ship on which we spent 14 night last summer cruising Norway.

Bottom line is that you would probably enjoy either cruise. If the pricing is similar, go with Celebrity, as you do get an extra day. But if the AI drives prices even higher on Celebrity, don't hesitate to book with HAL. 

I agree. HAL and X are so close to each other in service and dining that I am finding that I am looking more closely at itinerary and this is where, I believe, HAL has the tipping the scales more towards them.

• Like 1