CDC Raises Cruise Travel Risk to Level 4 Very High

JT1962

Not sure if this will change anything in the CDC rules for cruises to resume, but it can’t help.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-cruiseship-idUKKBN2810X8

(Reuters) - The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Saturday it recommended that all people avoid cruise ship travel as the risk of COVID-19 on liners is very high. 

The CDC advised passengers who decide to go on a cruise should get tested 3-5 days after their trip and stay home for 7 days after travel, even if they test negative. *****/2US9P5O 

Last month, the agency issued a framework for a phased resumption of cruise ship operations after a no-sail order issued in March in response to the novel coronavirus pandemic was to expire.

The CDC said earlier that from March 1 through Sept. 28, data showed “a total of 3,689 confirmed cases of COVID-19 or COVID-like illness cases on cruise ships and 41 deaths.”

16 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I saw that, makes you wonder why they lifted the No Sail Order.

It seems to me they lifted it because of political pressure, but at the same time made requirements so strict to in effect make the no sail order still really in place. 

• Like 4

The CDC previously had a Level 3 warning (High Level of Covid-19) and it now goes up to the highest level, Level 4 (Very High Level of Covid-19).

While it may indeed have been that the CDC lifted the No Sail Order under political pressure, this escalation of warning level appears to be more tied the the recent dramatic increase of Covid-19 in the US rather anything specifically related to cruising. It's riskier now because the country as a whole is riskier now, in other words.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Not sure if this will change anything in the CDC rules for cruises to resume, but it can’t help.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-cruiseship-idUKKBN2810X8

(Reuters) - The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Saturday it recommended that all people avoid cruise ship travel as the risk of COVID-19 on liners is very high. 

The CDC advised passengers who decide to go on a cruise should get tested 3-5 days after their trip and stay home for 7 days after travel, even if they test negative. *****/2US9P5O 

Last month, the agency issued a framework for a phased resumption of cruise ship operations after a no-sail order issued in March in response to the novel coronavirus pandemic was to expire.

The CDC said earlier that from March 1 through Sept. 28, data showed “a total of 3,689 confirmed cases of COVID-19 or COVID-like illness cases on cruise ships and 41 deaths.”

This is the same organization that wants to cancel Thanksgiving.  The CDC is a joke.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Six more flight exposures over the weekend here in Canada.   Apparently its "relatively common"? Its great they point out the number of cases on cruise ships but you don't need to cruise to get it just need to travel people.... No travel warnings on planes so just hop a flight somewhere and feel safer. Or not. 😷

"Exposure events of this nature are relatively common in B.C., with at least one in the province each day, dating back to early October. The BCCDC added 22 flights to the list between Monday and Wednesday of this week.

The majority come through YVR: a total of 106 domestic and international flights with a case of COVID-19 have flown into or out of Vancouver in the last two months." 

13 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

I agree.  All it does is keep the fear level elevated IMHO

baf

Well, in theory it's presumably meant to discourage anyone considering taking a cruise starting from somewhere outside the US. Which aren't many, but they are beyond the CDC control so their role is to issue travel recommendations. Same as they do to nations that might be of concern.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

...oh wait, they just announced two more levels, 5 - super high (we hate the cruise industry) and 6 - super duper really, really high (whatever it takes to keep people off the ships).    

Sounds about right for CDC!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, travelhound said:

This is the same organization that wants to cancel Thanksgiving.  The CDC is a joke.

Which isn’t a bad idea. I have cancelled my plans for thanksgiving AND Christmas. I do not want to gather and risk spreading COVID. I can guarantee i will not be on a ship until I am vaccinated. I also won’t be cruising in 2021 or 2022 unless the cruise lines demand proof of a vaccine and implement strict protocols for those not abiding by shipboard guidelines (quarantine and disembarkment for not following protocol). I have also cancelled all cruises booked for the foreseeable future, and do not have anything outstanding.I personally think the no-sail order should be extended until COVID is under control. If you fly outside the US and board a cruise and catch COVID, it becomes your issue (much like flying to the DR / Mexico and catching it)

Edited by UPNYGuy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

...oh wait, they just announced two more levels, 5 - super high (we hate the cruise industry) and 6 - super duper really, really high (whatever it takes to keep people off the ships).    

Let’s remind everybody on here that there are more important things in life than cruising. Illness can (and does) spread in confined areas, such as cruise ships. I typically go 3-4x per year, and will likely not get back on a ship for quite some time.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, UPNYGuy said:

Which isn’t a bad idea. I have cancelled my plans for thanksgiving AND Christmas. I do not want to gather and risk spreading COVID. I can guarantee i will not be on a ship until I am vaccinated. I also won’t be cruising in 2021 or 2022 unless the cruise lines demand proof of a vaccine and implement strict protocols for those not abiding by shipboard guidelines (quarantine and disembarkment for not following protocol). I have also cancelled all cruises booked for the foreseeable future, and do not have anything outstanding.I personally think the no-sail order should be extended until COVID is under control. If you fly outside the US and board a cruise and catch COVID, it becomes your issue (much like flying to the DR / Mexico and catching it)

This statement seems like you are preparing forever - 

• Like 4

Meh, who cares. They told people not to fly and news can't stop showing the PACKED airports.

People are sick of this crap and are getting back to their lives.

Our governor put in a curfew order this weekend and last night thousands were at local beach town protesting (after curfew). The police were giving people high fives and fist bumps.

I'd get on a cruise ship tomorrow if I could.

Edited by pc_load_letter
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UPNYGuy said:

Let’s remind everybody on here that there are more important things in life than cruising. Illness can (and does) spread in confined areas, such as cruise ships. I typically go 3-4x per year, and will likely not get back on a ship for quite some time.

What other industry has the same requirements?  I respect your choices, they should respect everyone’s choices.  

• Like 4

I understand that when given the virus tests, about 7 percent test positive (This number varies a bit depending who you ask).  So if 2000 people cruise (not counting the crew) and take tests after the cruise, you would expect 140 people would test positive. I know I am playing games with numbers but I did think it interesting.  Now if they had stayed home, would the number still stay at 140 cases?  By the way, I am not taking any sides in this matter but am just curious.  I imagine we will now hear from both sides of this matter proving opposide points.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

What other industry has the same requirements?  I respect your choices, they should respect everyone’s choices.  

Maybe the requirements are a good thing. If there’s anything I learned these past few days, my concern would be the passengers and the cruise line’s history of policy enforcement.

13 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

You would think people would want to stay off the boats because of the explosion in virus and the overloaded hospitals and refrigerator make shift morgues outside the hospitals.  I guess for some it takes a high level from the CDC.  It seems to me it is a perfect 10 of you shouldn't want to go on a bleeping ship right now.

• Like 1