River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

1 minute ago, CPT Trips said:

Sadly, most of the crowds use public transit and walk so they really don’t know how to tailgate.

Here in New England, the stadium is out in the suburbs, so aside from a small number who use commuter rail, by and large almost all fans attending Patriots games drive and set up tailgate parties.  The parking lots around Gillette Stadium have more of a college FB feel.

Philadelphia's stadium is more in the the city, is it not?

1 minute ago, sharkster77 said:

Philadelphia's stadium is more in the the city, is it not?

It’s in the city and right by a major subway line so there are a lot of walkers. But it’s also right by two major highways, so also a lot of drivers. SIL is part of a big tailgate group that includes a number of walkers. Several of whom bring supplies from Phily’s “Italian Market.” 

IMG_9115.jpeg.fee4dc44327ee298168af8e9812d9949.jpeg

Posted (edited)

We don't follow sports much here, but last night was the opening game for the closest professional Football team, up in Ottawa. Between severe T-Storms, and Tornado warnings....it didn't go well.  Although they did manage to win the game. 🙂

448386486_858741659635048_2182995125344807955_n.jpg

Edited by Daisi

If I see this correctly in the photo this is a highly planned layout with all straight roads and streets. So how come the only thing askew is the stadium? Was it the beer or intentional by the architect?

Been shopping and a pub had a nice fin plastic beer bottle decoration attached to the wall with the football logo printed on. Quite like those gimmicks.

The Scots are making quite the racket in Munich. As is usual when testosterone and beer mix, it was not all peaceful in the last 24 hours.

I am getting a little excited but I will not watch much of the game, got too much to do.

notamermaid

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

If I see this correctly in the photo this is a highly planned layout with all straight roads and streets. So how come the only thing askew is the stadium? Was it the beer or intentional by the architect?

It appears to me that it is intentionally angled so that looking past the far end zone gives you a view of the downtown skyline instead of looking at the baseball stadium (behind the word 'Reserved'). While the end zone stands look like they would block that view from most seats, it's probably done specifically for TV drone/establishment shots.

The same cannot be said for the slight rotation of the basketball/ice hockey arena just to the left, which is not nearly as noticeable in that picture, but clearer when you look at the Google Maps satellite. 

BTW, apologies to any Eagles fans on here, but it bothers me how almost symmetrical this stadium is. The corners are all different, but that upper end zone is just ugly how it's missing the angled section on the left.

Anyway, there's the view of the downtown skyline

640x480.jpg

Edited by RobInMN

1 hour ago, RDVIK2016 said:

Your "Blew the water ballast" comment brings back to me memories of being on a submarine at X depth when the high pressure Emergency Main Ballast Tank Blow system was tested - nice ride back to the surface. I don't know if river cruise ships actually have a pressurized air blow system or just pump the tanks out. 

Hey, RDVIK2016, were you a Submariner on that ride or working for EB or Supships on a sea trial? I and my family were EBers back in the 60’s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Microman123 said:

Hey, RDVIK2016, were you a Submariner on that ride or working for EB or Supships on a sea trial? I and my family were EBers back in the 60’s. 

I was at EB for 41 years, but my military service was Army, not Navy. My brother-in-law was a submariner - diesel boats - and later worked for EB also. With my kids currently working there my family is in our fourth generation at EB going back to the 1920's when it was called New London Ship and Engine Co. That's on both my side and my wife's. My first time in the shipyard was when my father took me to the keel laying ceremony of USS Nautilus and President Harry Truman had his initials welded into the keel plate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobInMN said:

It appears to me that it is intentionally angled so that looking past the far end zone gives you a view of the downtown skyline instead of looking at the baseball stadium (behind the word 'Reserved').

Ah, right. Good explanation. I agree that it looks as if they have forgotten to put the bit in there on the left. Aesthetically not pleasing.

Just looked up how many people will fit into the stadium tonight, the Allianz Arena was designed for 66,000 people, but after extensions it now has room for 70,000 for an international game.

https://allianz-arena.com/en

notamermaid

🍻 Fußbaall!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Ah, right. Good explanation. I agree that it looks as if they have forgotten to put the bit in there on the left. Aesthetically not pleasing.

Just looked up how many people will fit into the stadium tonight, the Allianz Arena was designed for 66,000 people, but after extensions it now has room for 70,000 for an international game.

https://allianz-arena.com/en

notamermaid

🍻 Fußbaall!

You're not giving it enough credit. Wikipedia says 75,024. 🙂 (that's a difference of 24 spots on the largest stadiums list!)

Surprisingly (to me), the largest stadium in the world is a Cricket stadium in India. Narendra Modi Stadium @ 132,000!

Then a bogus North Korea ego project.

Then comes "The Big House" where the Michigan Wolverines college (American) football plays. 107,601. Which, ignoring the NK stadium, was the largest until 2021, when Narendra Modi Stadium was completed.

What's interesting (again, to me) is #3-10 are all American college football stadiums.

#11 is the last over 100,000 people and it's another Cricket stadium. Melbourne Cricket Ground in Australia. 

Then comes the first football stadium. Camp Nou in Barcelona at 99,354.

The largest NFL stadium doesn't show up until #29. MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, home of 2 New York NFL teams @ 82,500. There are 14 college stadiums larger.

Edited by RobInMN

9 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

You're not giving it enough credit. Wikipedia says 75,024. 🙂 (that's a difference of 24 spots on the largest stadiums list!)

I saw that, not sure why but it says there is a difference between German games (your figure) and international games (my figure).

Those are some BIG stadiums.

I kind of wonder how they manage the toilets, I mean how many do you need for such a stadium, is there some statistics or ratio or something that planners apply? Sorry, all practical housewife here.

Oh and - GOOAALL!!

2 - 0 for Germany.

Sorry, Scotland.

notamermaid

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Microman123 said:

No… just watched “Up Periscope!” a million times when I was a kid. 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RDVIK2016 said:

I was at EB for 41 years, but my military service was Army, not Navy. My brother-in-law was a submariner - diesel boats - and later worked for EB also. With my kids currently working there my family is in our fourth generation at EB going back to the 1920's when it was called New London Ship and Engine Co. That's on both my side and my wife's. My first time in the shipyard was when my father took me to the keel laying ceremony of USS Nautilus and President Harry Truman had his initials welded into the keel plate.

Looks like I can’t PM you. Seems you have a few years on me. You saw SSN 571 keel laid. I got to see SSN 578 launched and stuck in the New London mud!!

• Like 1

My DH is now in football heaven including German beer and he will finish the game with a wee dram of single malt of course regardless of who wins. There’s still hope and over half the match to go, oooooh dreams are they like Scotch Mist?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I kind of wonder how they manage the toilets, I mean how many do you need for such a stadium, is there some statistics or ratio or something that planners apply? Sorry, all practical housewife here.

That will vary by country, state, and possibly sports.

Our local NFL team's stadium is U.S. Bank Stadium (Minnesota Vikings). Seats 66,655.

A local news story on "how many bathrooms" says that Minnesota building code says for huge venues, 1 toilet for every 60 women and 1 toilet/urinal for every 120 men. The code further says 3:2 women's toilets to men's. As they use the stadium for more than football, they figure 50:50 men:women.

By my calculations, that would be 555 women's, and 278 men's = 833 for minimum code.

The stadium spokesperson said they probably exceeded code and was quoted as saying "almost 1,000 'fixtures' ".  🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Whatever ratio they use, there are NEVER enough women’s toilets. The men (and generally they are men), who design these facilities don’t seem to understand that women take longer, because they have to remove more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

The largest NFL stadium doesn't show up until #29. MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, home of 2 New York NFL teams @ 82,500. There are 14 college stadiums larger.

So that’s a sore point.
Both the “New York” Giants and “New York” Jets play in East Rutherford New Jersey, the “Dallas” Cowboys play in Arlington, and the “Washington” football team plays in Landover Maryland. The Philadelphia Eagles are the only honest team in their division. 
At least the Raiders have changed their name with each of their many moves. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Your eyes are accurate. It was intentional. The south facade is parallel to the limited access highway.

14 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

So that’s a sore point.
Both the “New York” Giants and “New York” Jets play in East Rutherford New Jersey, the “Dallas” Cowboys play in Arlington, and the “Washington” football team plays in Landover Maryland. The Philadelphia Eagles are the only honest team in their division. 
At least the Raiders have changed their name with each of their many moves. 

OTOH it's safe for people with PA license plates to park at Giants Stadium.  As opposed to NYers in Philly [as my friend's trashed car can attest]

Looks like I can’t PM you. Seems you have a few years on me. You saw SSN 571 keel laid. I got to see SSN 578 launched and stuck in the New London mud!!

I thought that was SSN 586 Triton that had that issue, because she was so much bigger than other boats up to that time - twin reactors and all. After that grounding incident they started loading big concrete blocks topside fixed with heavy chains to cleats or pad-eyes to the hull then drop them as the the boat slid into the water to drag the boat to a halt. Boats didn't go far into the river after they started that process. Our last slider was SSN771 - now all are floated off in the graving dock.

1 minute ago, RDVIK2016 said:

I thought that was SSN 586 Triton that had that issue, because she was so much bigger than other boats up to that time - twin reactors and all. After that grounding incident they started loading big concrete blocks topside fixed with heavy chains to cleats or pad-eyes to the hull then drop them as the the boat slid into the water to drag the boat to a halt. Boats didn't go far into the river after they started that process. Our last slider was SSN771 - now all are floated off in the graving dock.

Yep, you’re correct. I definitely meant the Triton, but “thought” I remembered her number. Guess I had the Skate in my mind for some reason. She was launched before we moved to Mystic in 1958. I pulled cable on the George Washington's f(SSBN 598) first overhaul the summer of 1965 between High School and University. Came back to EB for a short time as a  Coop working on the Polaris design. LONG time ago. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RDVIK2016 said:

I also remember a story of the first test fire of a dummy off the Washington. Apparently they didn’t think to list her, so straight up and…..!

2 hours ago, Microman123 said:

Yep, you’re correct. I definitely meant the Triton, but “thought” I remembered her number. Guess I had the Skate in my mind for some reason. She was launched before we moved to Mystic in 1958. I pulled cable on the George Washington's f(SSBN 598) first overhaul the summer of 1965 between High School and University. Came back to EB for a short time as a  Coop working on the Polaris design. LONG time ago. 

Microman123,

Groton Mystic or Stonington Mystic? 1965 high school grad? Me too (Fitch). You mentioned not being able to send a PM here. PMs were disabled a long time ago. CruiseCritic likes to have everyone keep themselves anonymous, but If you were Fitch class of 1965, that means we were classmates and I'll give you an email address that does not contain my true name.

RDVIK

Correction - Poseidon

17 minutes ago, RDVIK2016 said:

Microman123,

Groton Mystic or Stonington Mystic? 1965 high school grad? Me too (Fitch). You mentioned not being able to send a PM here. PMs were disabled a long time ago. CruiseCritic likes to have everyone keep themselves anonymous, but If you were Fitch class of 1965, that means we were classmates and I'll give you an email address that does not contain my true name.

RDVIK

Groton Mystic for 5th & 6th grade (Mystic Academy),  Stonington Jr High, St. Bernard’s High. I’m sure we know some of the same people, like Amby Burfoot.