River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

@Host Jazzbeau thanks for your help with the birds. Now I know that they all have beaks. And by way of elimination if it has no beak it is not a bird. 😀 And I know that somewhere in the world a biologist will be reading this thinking "my goodness, the "birdus europeanii minisculi" has no beak" - or something like that. 😉

That poster has painfully reminded me that I completely messed up in biology lesson when I was about 12 when I was supposed to talk about chicken (characteristics of fowl). I was glad to get away from real animals later and do biochemistry and biodiversity during the later years. Actually managed Abitur, here meaning I got oral exam A-level biology (the British school system equivalent, but I did not get an A grade). No birds in the exam whatsoever!

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Explanation

@CPT Trips, oh yes, Ei comes before Huhn, Henne, Hahn and even the chick: Küken. The Germans do it properly in the dictionary, jawoll!

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

That leaves the questions do all birds have wings and feathers, discus.

Well there is the Archaeopteryx, my favourite (dead) bird. It is a transitional fossil animal in biology, marking the transition from dinosaur to bird. But it already had wings and feathers. Love that animal (biodiversity and genetics lessons). But not sure where current species come into this. Where is the professor here in our midst, please come forward to the podium. 🙂

notamermaid

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

That leaves the questions do all birds have wings and feathers

To my knowledge, the Moa (now extinct) was the only bird that had no wings. As to feathers, all birds have feathers. There are mammals that can fly that don't have feathers (e.g., bats).

How about penguins - they have wings but can't fly. 😉

47 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Well there is the Archaeopteryx, my favourite (dead) bird. It is a transitional fossil animal in biology, marking the transition from dinosaur to bird. But it already had wings and feathers.

How about Aurornis who lived about 10 million years before Archaeopteryx? Aurornis also had wings and feathers. 

Edited by dogs4fun

21 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

They do say - that Penguins do fly but underwater.

True - they use their wings as flippers/paddles & their long, streamlined bodies are perfectly adapted to propel them through the water. I love watching the penguins at the zoo - I think they are so cool.

3 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

To my knowledge, the Moa (now extinct) was the only bird that had no wings. As to feathers, all birds have feathers. There are mammals that can fly that don't have feathers (e.g., bats).

How about penguins - they have wings but can't fly. 😉

How about Aurornis who lived about 10 million years before Archaeopteryx? Aurornis also had wings and feathers. 

Interesting. I had no heard of that one before as it is a new discovery, from 2013. Thanks. They have recently also found new interesting homini skeleton parts in China.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Not looking forward to dusk tonight & tomorrow night - my little furry friends do not like the sound of fireworks & one of them is absolutely petrified.  I've tried the anxiety vest to no avail.

My dogs always hated this weekend. I wish they didn't let everyone shoot off fireworks. Right now, I feel like I am in a war zone. I am for the beautiful ones that happen at organized shows but don't think everyone should be able to do this.

14 hours ago, Coral said:

Right now, I feel like I am in a war zone.

Much the same here in the evening - I was still hearing loud bangs at 1am - good grief. I try not to be a curmudgeon as I remember how much we loved fireworks as kids so I attempt to get through the few days each year wherein there is the sound of firecrackers & bottle rockets (and who knows what else). Actually, fireworks are illegal where I live - anything that has to be lit is illegal but that doesn't seem to faze some of the folks around here. 

17 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Much the same here in the evening - I was still hearing loud bangs at 1am - good grief. I try not to be a curmudgeon as I remember how much we loved fireworks as kids so I attempt to get through the few days each year wherein there is the sound of firecrackers & bottle rockets (and who knows what else). Actually, fireworks are illegal where I live - anything that has to be lit is illegal but that doesn't seem to faze some of the folks around here. 

It is the M80's that drive me crazy! I moved to a relatively quiet neighborhood and thought I would be saved by this but no.......!

I just read that our local corn is ready (in short supply but starting). Yea! This is early. How are those peaches coming along in your area? I order some from a local church - they get them from Palisades and they are supposed to come in in August. I think I was in your area mid-July a few years ago and saw signs of peaches just starting.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coral said:

How are those peaches coming along in your area?

Honestly, I don't have a clue. I haven't seen any peach stands in my area & I haven't visited a farmer's market in ages. I never buy from the supermarkets as the fruit is always picked too early.

I love peaches, apricots & cherries but I seldom find them sweet enough around here - maybe I just don't know where to shop. 🙁

On 7/2/2021 at 2:15 PM, gnome12 said:

Many years ago I was on a cycling trip in Brittany. They served us (each) a plate of 12 scampi, with heads on, staring at me. I had a panic attack and ran from the restaurant. I couldn't deal with it.

That is a very unpleasant feeling, sorry to read that. But I am somewhat glad I am not the only one feeling weird about eyes. It was in Brittany where I also had culinary adventures. I tried oysters for the first and last time and tried coquilles st. jacques (scallops) and decided that I like those.

Apart from the (for me) unusual food the place is also littered with weird stones, fantastic place names and a history that is very much Celtic and to my liking. Highly recommended area of France for visiting. If you like Stonehenge go and see Carnac: https://www.carnac.fr/Territoire-d-exception/Capitale-des-Megalithes/Maison-des-Megalithes-Alignements

notamermaid

IMG_0404.thumb.JPG.9be8569c5ab310d78a46dc0dd9668129.JPG

Honfleur is a good spot to dine on all those weird sea creatures, either cooked, raw, or a combination. Great atmosphere, outdoor and around the harbor. Made for a much more enjoyable midday meal than heading back to the ship after my morning walk to the overlook.

IMG_0405.thumb.jpg.df68b052cafa9bdf95741580a9ae8cc1.jpg

Anyone else care to show their face?

• Like 1

One of the things we really liked about our river cruise was the ability to try new things without worrying about not liking them and being stuck with a meal we couldn't eat.  We loved the white asparagus (we're not fond of the green normally), and even tried snails (not escargot, garden snails).  The only dish our server was "upset' that I wouldn't try was any fish...to many memories of getting sent out to see if the fish my G-Grandmother had bought earlier in the day was ready.  Because it was "ocean fish", she would set it in a pail of fresh water...and lots of worms would come out and float on the top of the water.  I think us kids were sent out so we wouldn't eat it, leaving more for our parents and she could spoil us with a dinner our parents wouldn't normally serve us. 🙂

• Like 1