Update on the rollout of MedallionClass to Princess ships

dides

A press release has just come out -

Princess Cruises has announced that upon approval to return to service in 2021 its global fleet will feature the MedallionClass Experience, offering a number of new features that leverage touchless technologies and significantly enhance and personalise the guest experience, as well as support new health protocols.

The line of smart ships is expanding as ship transformations has continued during the pause.  Coral Princess, Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess, Grand Princess, Island Princess, Majestic Princess, and Sapphire Princess will return as MedallionClass ships along with the new Enchanted Princess.

Across the fleet, the Princess Cruises OceanMedallionTM wearable device replaces the traditional cruise card and pairs with embedded IoT (‘Internet of Things’) -driven innovative technology to significantly expand touch-free options and personalisation onboard Princess MedallionClassTM ships. This includes:

·        touchless embarkation and disembarkation
·        keyless stateroom entry
·        completely contactless payments
·        simplified safety training  
·        on demand food, beverages and retail items delivered anywhere onboard
·        guest service requests via mobile device chat
·        location-based gaming and wagering
·        entertainment content via smart devices

Princess MedallionClass ships also offer the best Wi-Fi at sea, MedallionNet™, offering unprecedented connectivity that’s fast, unlimited, reliable, and affordable with an access point in every stateroom, so guests can stream favourite movies, shows, games and music; connect to favorite social media sites; and video chat from anywhere on the ship.

“Innovation is allowing us to pair guidance from public health experts with the unparalleled touch-free capabilities of the OceanMedallion, honoring our commitment to health and safety, while continuing to reinvent and simplify the experience all together,” said Jan Swartz, president of Princess Cruises. “During this down-time we’ve worked behind the scenes to re-engineer our operation to give guests maximum control of their cruise holiday, as well as to activate the Princess MedallionClass Experience on all of our ships.”

A noted breakthrough in the travel industry, the OceanMedallionTM connects guests and crew to an experiential ‘IoT’ platform through a network of sensors and readers that help recognise individuals in locations throughout the ship, facilitating touchless capabilities that include a highly-personalised service and interactive entertainment, while also reducing contact between guests and crew onboard and in ports.

“The same technology we’ve used to simplify and personalise the guest experience on our Princess MedallionClass ships for the past three years is now being further leveraged to safeguard our guests and crew as well,” said John Padgett, chief experience and innovation officer for Carnival Corporation.  “That means that the smartest ships at sea are now enabling intelligence-driven safety processes via the OceanMedallion.”

Sandra

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Syracusefan44 said:

My concern with this press release is there is no mention of the Pacific Princess which is scheduled to sale out of Italy this summer and return to  Fort Lauderdale in November 2021.

Per the other thread on this, I am thinking we may hear of a replacement ship sometime next year.

My next cruise is on the Sapphire Princess Dec 1st Queensland. I'm relieved to see it on the updated Medallion list. Been on 2 Medallion cruises & like the technology (& refridgerator magnet souvenir)

Ruby is not on that list but it is medallion net. Wondering why it was omitted

Edited by Ombud

Princess made many, many previous promises about which ships would be medallion enabled, 

complete with a schedule.

They completely failed, and based on the posts here, disappointing many of their customers.

Maybe these ships will be medallion enabled.

Or, maybe this will be another inaccurate announcement from an unreliable source.

Even with the previous promises, Princess never rolled out anything that was better than beta-test.

It took many cruisers (including many posters here) to help princess debug their offering.

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

My next cruise is on the Sapphire Princess Dec 1st Queensland. I'm relieved to see it on the updated Medallion list. Been on 2 Medallion cruises & like the technology (& refridgerator magnet souvenir)

Hello @Ombud. Ruby Princess transitioned into a MedallionClass ship earlier this year (Feb 2020).  The other ships listed in the story are the ones that will debut as MedallionClass ships for the first time when they are authorized to begin sailing again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does this mean that ships such as the Coral will have on demand TV now?

It seems that way from the statement above.

Sorry I haven't been on a medallion class ship yet so I don't quiet understand the following

"with an access point in every stateroom, so guests can stream favourite movies," from the release.

Does this mean the TV or your own computer?

Here’s the full press release from Princess: https://www.onesourcecruises.com/pdf/onesource/pc/news/fourth-quarter-2020/PrincessExpandsMedallionClassExperience.pdf

It lists all ships that will supposedly return to service fully Medallion equipped. Pacific is not listed as previously reported. It however does not list ships that were already Medallion equipped pre-shutdown. The language indicates work has been ongoing on ALL ships to make them Medallion ready, with enhanced features, upon return to service. 

I also noticed that Discovery was not listed, and that they were specifically referencing ships planned to return to / enter service in 2021. Could this be a subtle indication that Discovery will not enter service until sometime in 2022 as has been rumored?

I found one interesting bit of language:

OceanReady
Upon return, all guests will be required to become OceanReady before leaving home, creating a touchless, expedited arrival experience and embarkation. Guests will use the MedallionClass app to upload travel documents (i.e. passport information) and complete a health questionnaire in advance as well as provide important emergency information and form of payment, take a security image, personalize their Medallions and order accessories to be shipped to their home or ready for pick up upon arrival.

Reading this it seems there will no longer be a key card option and those without smartphones/tablets may have issues sailing with Princess in future as it will be highly dependent on using the Medallion Class app.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Just now, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Here’s the full press release from Princess: https://www.onesourcecruises.com/pdf/onesource/pc/news/fourth-quarter-2020/PrincessExpandsMedallionClassExperience.pdf

It lists all ships that will supposedly return to service fully Medallion equipped. Pacific is not listed as previously reported. It however does not list ships that were already Medallion equipped pre-shutdown. The language indicates work has been ongoing on ALL ships to make them Medallion ready, with enhanced features, upon return to service. 

I also noticed that Discovery was not listed out as well, and that they were specifically referencing ships planned to return to / enter service in 2021. Could this be a subtle indication that Discovery will not enter service until sometime in 2022 as has been rumored?

I found one interesting bit of language:

OceanReady
Upon return, all guests will be required to become OceanReady before leaving home, creating a touchless, expedited arrival experience and embarkation. Guests will use the MedallionClass app to upload travel documents (i.e. passport information) and complete a health questionnaire in advance as well as provide important emergency information and form of payment, take a security image, personalize their Medallions and order accessories to be shipped to their home or ready for pick up upon arrival.

Reading this it seems there will no longer be a key card option and those without smartphones/tablets may have issues sailing with Princess in future as it will be highly dependent on using the Medallion Class app.

Wonder if we will need our smart phones to board the ship when in foreign ports. 

9 minutes ago, waltd said:

Wonder if we will need our smart phones to board the ship when in foreign ports. 

The medallion itself is the replacement for the key card. Smartphones will  be used in conjunction with the medallion for many other onboard services, as well as for pre cruise registration/check-in. I don’t think the smart phone will have any bearing on getting on/off the ship. 

• Thanks 1

I don't know re smartphone ownership in the USA, but in countries like Australia many people, including many seniors who are the bulk of the cruising fraternity here, don't have smart phones. Just a mobile phone - you call them cell phones,  to receive and make calls, no internet on it re apps etc.  And with most Princess ships now Medallion equipped, could be an issue not having a smartphone.

Not prempting anything but it may be like the Covid vaccination - no vacc. - no board, likewise - no smartphone - no board.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

In the US we can buy throwaway smart phones for about $50 (A$67). When someone spends THOUSANDS on a cruise another $50 pales in comparison 

For us, it isn't so much about the cost of a smart device versus that of a cruise vacation.  It's the requirement that I use my device rather than Princess' wonks designing software that would work on a proprietary Princess-provided device.

During the initial rollout, Princess said a device would not be requitred, but that ir would enhance your experience.

I understand Covid has been a game changer ... but this seems like a less personal ecperience, and a way for Princess to cot staffing and save money.

The press release mentions mobile chat via my device ... will I be talking to onboard staff or someone in Santa Clarita working from home?  Why not use robots to deal with and serve guests?  Princess would not neef to feed them and they could be stowed in a broom closet.

The MedallionCrap does not seem to be a vacation we would enjoy.  We sold our shares a week ago ... and likely will spend our leisure dollare on other than Princess.   

• Like 1

Looking to the future of all cruise ship companies (not just CCL) I think they will need to embrace technology to entice younger generations who are completelycomfortable with tech / some even seem permanently attached to their phones. It is the future even once Covid ends. 

Also, I liked the medallion on my Droid. But to each their own (I also use my Droid when I spend a month in another city [Brussels, Dublin, Sydney, Jerusalem to date])

9 hours ago, Ombud said:

The notice has ships that already as Medallion (including the Ruby), and those where it is coming soon. The notice also said "Pacific Princess excluded".

MedallionClass is available on: Caribbean Princess® | Crown Princess® | Regal Princess® | Royal Princess® | Ruby Princess® | Sky Princess®

Coming soon to: Coral Princess® | Diamond Princess® | Discovery Princess℠ | Enchanted Princess℠ | Emerald Princess® | Grand Princess® | Island Princess® | Majestic Princess® | Sapphire Princess®

I certainly hope the Pacific Princess is not being sold/moved by Carnival Corp. They sold Ocean, which was a most wonderful ship [old wood paneling and greatest library at sea], and Pacific is her sister ship. Never been in her yet, but sure will be disappointed if she goes too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pms4104 said:

The MedallionCrap does not seem to be a vacation we would enjoy.  We sold our shares a week ago ... and likely will spend our leisure dollare on other than Princess.   

And the Carnival Corp Execs will be saying - Bye Felicia!  

Tech is here to stay, and the hospitality and travel industries will ever be increasing on using technology as a key service delivery component.

I’d much rather chat with someone about my account using a mobile device, and get the question resolved, from the comfort of my balcony, or a deck chair, or while listening to music in the piazza than go stand in a line in guest services. 

I’d much rather order a  Salty Dog burger or some pizza from Slice and have it delivered to me poolside at the retreat than give up my lounge chair (or be accused of chair hogging) to go stand in queue and wait then find a place to it sit and eat and then have to go find another lounge chair.

I’d rather find a comfy place to sit and read indoors, perhaps out of the way, and order a glass of wine and have it delivered than get up, risk losing my cozy spot, go find an open bar/server and carry my drink back to where I was.

I don’t see the move to using tech as a cutback in service, just a change in how it’s delivered, mostly to my betterment.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The notice has ships that already as Medallion (including the Ruby), and those where it is coming soon. The notice also said "Pacific Princess excluded".

This what I read: https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/?cid=brand_email_promo_internal_announcement_info_pf0ms171b_201203_medclass_WIRNPACNEFBS3EGHXPRRUTPTAI&eccn=WIRNPACNEFBS3EGHXPRRUTPTAI&rrid=330942771A&mi_u=330942771A

I do not see where it mentions the Pacific being excluded.

3 minutes ago, caribill said:

This is the email I received from Princess.

Princess MedallionClass holidays offer the ultimate in effortless, personalised and connected cruising. And that is why we're expanding it to our global fleet*! Princess guests can enjoy the convenience and connectedness enabled by the OceanMedallionTM no matter where they sail. We also love how MedallionClass innovation helps us honour our deep commitment to your health and safety.

*Excluding Pacific Princess

3 hours ago, generichandle said:

I certainly hope the Pacific Princess is not being sold/moved by Carnival Corp.

Pacific Princess has nothing scheduled from October 14 (when it is in Venice) to November 16 (when it is supposed to be in Fort Lauderdale). The TA that had been scheduled has been cancelled.

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

This is the email I received from Princess.

Princess MedallionClass holidays offer the ultimate in effortless, personalised and connected cruising. And that is why we're expanding it to our global fleet*! Princess guests can enjoy the convenience and connectedness enabled by the OceanMedallionTM no matter where they sail. We also love how MedallionClass innovation helps us honour our deep commitment to your health and safety.

*Excluding Pacific Princess

Maybe the E-mails to us in the USA are different than what you received.

Mine says "We've been busy converting our fleet to MedallionClass to enhance our service and experiences. Everything is at your fingertips, from the convenience of a single app on your smart device or from your stateroom TV."