The Daily for Friday Dec 4, 2020

richwmn

today is Santas List Day , Wear Brown Shoes Day, and Bartender Appreciation Day

While it may be true that a watched pot never boils, the one you don't keep an eye on can make an awful mess of your stove.
        -- Edward Stevenson

Meal suggestion for today - Lentil Bolognese

Drink of the Day - Hot Buttered Rum

Wine of the day - Michel Gassier Costières de Nîmes White Nostre Païs vintage 2017

at Sea Atlantic
Nieuw Statendam destination Sint Eustatius eta 12/11

Bonaire Anchorage
Oosterdam

Freeport Anchorage
Eurodam

Gibraltar West Anchorage
Noordam

Malta Anchorage
Zuiderdam

NAB Anchorage GB
Westerdam

Panama Anchorage Atlantic
Nieuw Amsterdam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Torquay Anchorage
Volendam
Zaandam

1204World.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for Friday's Daily, Rich.  My own brown shoe days are usually scout days.  Bartenders may have been our first psychiatrists.  I think Santa's list is topped by a vaccine, followed by a cruise.  I love the quote but will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Blackberry Soup, Grilled Lamb Chop, and Strawberry Crisp, as served  on the Prinsendeam December 4, 20133

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

rjbean4 missing his mother who died in early October (rjbean4 was a big contributor to the kindergirl thread)

durangoscots, her niece, and niece’s daughter on the November 29 death of her niece’s husband.

Dismomx5's niece-nurse turning covid-positive

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

CrabbyPatti’s dad with dimentia

Mary229's sister with cancer

Yet another wildfire in California

Ine with DH facing cardiac surgery

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers and support staff

Teachers and school workers

Cat Shepard on a getaway to the Keys and sending us photos

Happy belated birthday USN59-79

Mamaofami’s grandson Covid negative

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Santa’s list used to mean so much to us all when we were younger.

6AF25C83-3D3B-4061-96F9-1AA760732275.jpeg.3c278b8932bc1dd9789729cf6472ef1e.jpeg

Bartenders are appreciated even more these days with many people missing them.

LOL on the quote.  That’s happened to me more than once 😉 

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion, thanks.  The alternate sounds good, though.  Yum on the drink of the day.  

Looks like our wine might be a white 😁 Can’t wait for the description from Cat.

87CE446B-CE36-4D5C-A1F6-69DDE1917896.jpeg.b3e82e4fddbc75b9551e98031b8e436a.jpegDH couldn’t find our favourite wine yesterday.  Appears that demand for it has risen dramatically since our code orange.  Made me think of the comparison between 2019 and 2020:

D29BBA03-D8F5-489F-9161-93920037360E.jpeg.c394aabdd94772e933e9e57d9f85f4de.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them & a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great TGIF everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the daily updates.  Santa's list day reminded me of when I was a child.  This time of year writing up your list to santa was just so important.  It took days to compose!!  How fun it was!!   I have not owned a pair of brown shoes in quite some time.  Here in Florida its mostly sandels and flip-flops.  My brother in law is the best darn bartender.  Somehow his drinks always taste better then when I make the same drink.  I guess some people "have the touch"!!!

I am sending lots of prayers to our list.  Also sending lots of congratulations to our celebration list!!!

Hoping everyone gas a wonderful day!!!

Stay safe and well.

Helen

• Like 16

Good morning.  Santas list, hmmmm, same as most people.  Please get a vaccine, get a cruise ready, and get our country back to "normal".  I don't own brown shoes, but I do have brown flip flops.  Bartenders need to be appreciated, especially since I'm sure most are out of work.

The quote is so true, has happened to me once or twice.

Will pass on the menu.

Hot Buttered Rum:

2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch salt
3/4 cup spiced rum
2 cups boiling water
4 sticks cinnamon, for garnish
Directions
 Using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth. Transfer the mixture to a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup. Add the rum and then 2 cups of boiling water. Stir until the butter mixture dissolves. Divide the buttered rum among 4 mugs. Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.

Prayers for our care list, and congrats to the shoutouts!!

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich and sidekick Cassie. My sidekick is beside me getting her tummy rubbed. Thank you for the joy of the Daily Rich.

Happy Friday to my Daily-ite friends, my sisters Ann and Denise.

Although Roy took he and his brother off of the care/prayer list, please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. 

It is the first time in months that the paper goods isle at HEB was empty. Hope people are not diving into the hoarding mode again.

I finished my Christmas cards last night and will get them in the mail today. We received our first card in the mail yesterday. Going to pick up our wreath at the nursery and get it put out. Our neighbor next door could pass for Santa's Village with their lights and decorations. 

Prayers to all on Roy's list and toasting tonight that we adopted the sweetest kitty (so far..)

Have a great weekend, and please wear the masks! We are nearly there! God bless.

• Like 15

Good morning everyone, love the Daily Report.

I don't think I have any brown shoes, but I will appreciate a bartender when we are back on a ship.

I haven't written to Santa, I wonder if I'm on the Naughty list or the Nice one?

I'll pass on the meal suggestion but would like the alternate one.

I'm looking forward to reading about the wine.

It's raining here, Bertie and I just came back from his walk.  We're both wet, he doesn't care.

Praying for everyone.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 13

My list for Santa is like most of yours -- a vaccine and a cruise!  Please!  I have a pair of brown L.L. Bean slippers which I will be happy to wear today since it is going to rain today and be chilly again.  December is not starting off well weather-wise.  And I can wear the slippers today because I have nowhere to go! 🙄

@Seasick SailorI finished my cards yesterday too and received my first card in the mail.  Every year we get fewer and fewer cards.  The people we've known for years are leaving us, and the younger people aren't big card senders.  

I have four more grandchildren left to show their stockings.  This was the first stocking I ever made in 1997 and he arrived in January 1998.  It was nearly finished when he arrived, just had to fill in the name and do the cutting and sewing.  enhance

• Like 22

Good Morning to everyone! It is a warm but overcast day here. 

Our family received wonderful and long awaited news this morning. Our niece had her first baby- a girl in this mornings early hours. My brothers first grandchild. So we are all very happy today!

Thank you again to everyone for making this thread such a welcoming and uplifting place!.

• Like 16

14 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Our family received wonderful and long awaited news this morning. Our niece had her first baby- a girl in this mornings early hours. My brothers first grandchild. So we are all very happy today!

Thank you again to everyone for making this thread such a welcoming and uplifting place!.

Congratulations on your grand niece! A happy day indeed!

• Like 4

Good Morning All,

Its Friday already! The high winds we were having finally calmed down late yesterday. Our latest fire still burns. Many of the people who were evacuated last month are again evacuated or on alert. While the current fire is many miles away, the smoke is strong and burns the nostrils. So far there have been 2 fire crew members injured.☹️

On a happier note, here’s our contribution to Santa’s List:

FBA5AE35-D727-4752-8A41-83ADA13B9B58.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 15
  • Haha 6

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Another great combination of days - I usually make friends with a couple of bartenders the first few days on the ship; they just look at me to know what drink to make.  Bartenders and waiters have the most amazing memories, can't wait till we are all reunited with them!  I remember my childhood, making a list for Santa, hoping I could get everything out of the toy section of the Sears catalogue.  LOL   I have brown shoes, but they're summer style with lots of cut-outs in the leather, which wouldn't do very well with all the snow we have right now.  Did someone say cookies ? ? ?

@richwmnsorry, but your menu suggestion just makes me shudder - not a fan of lentils at all.  However, @rafinmdI could take your dinner any time, anywhere!!  Update:  La Surprise de Ice Cave turned out pretty well; I found some pork chops and frozen vegetables, so tuned them into a casserole with rice and mushroom soup.  I guess I'll have to go headfirst into the freezer more often!  LOL  Tonight's menu won't be quite as creative as last night, as it will be pizza with Caesar salad.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our glasses to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Thank you for your list Roy and alternate meal suggestion. I think I would prefer lamb chops to lentils. I like lentils but not in a ragu. I just made regular Bolognese Ragu for my DH family and have leftovers so might have some today. I’ve heard of lentil sloppy Joe’s so maybe they make a good meat substitute. 

Santa’s list is probably longer than usual this year. I have a pair of brown shoes that I wear as my winter house shoes so that fits for today. The quote is so true. The best bartenders are on HAL ships. 

Have a great day everyone!  Happy Friday. I have some pictures to share later of my Advent Calendars. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Congratulations!

Roy

• Like 2

I did not include it in my care list but am thinking of Haines, Alaska.  They had a serious landslide, and there are still 2 residents unnacounted for.  They are also concerned as they have been Covid free but are worried about the possibility of it being brought in by rescue personnel.  I visited Haines twice on the ferry and also on the Statendam and Westerdam.

Roy

• Like 15

Good morning all and thank you Rich for the daily updates.  A good group of days to celebrate and the quote is spot on, happens here occasionally.  I will have to pas on tge meal suggestion and Roy's alternate.  The drink, I could go for one of those and will keep the recipe handy.  Just came back from the post office having mailed the cards that I have been working on for 3 weeks.  Now, the decorating can begin!  It's a dreary looking day, the snow we had on Tuesday is a memory, back to green grass.  My best to all, have a wonderful Friday.

• Like 11

Has anyone noticed our post numbers are back in the upper right side of each post?  They were missing after CC latest update.  They were listening to comments and acted.  Thanks CC!

I forgot to mention my favorite bartender.  He's the one who hands me my glass of wine each day at Happy Hour.  😊

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

@rafinmdThanks for mentioning Haines.  I saw an article yesterday about the mudslide and two missing people. Prayers are definitely in order for the residents and searchers. We were in Haines last year on our 21 day Maasdam cruise, and enjoyed the town.

Laura

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Has anyone noticed our post numbers are back in the upper right side of each post?  

I was just about to say that too!

Glad to see them back. 🙂 

• Like 4