What does this mean?

In the RC Blog about Singapore it says this  "Guests who have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 in the past 180 days before embarking, or hold a positive serology certificate dated during this timeframe, will not be able to receive a PCR test, and are therefore unable to cruise"

Does that really mean if you have been positive for covid 6 months prior to your sailing, you cant sail? YIKES! We have July scheduled but 6 months is a long time! 

24 minutes ago, firstsailor said:

What is the likelyhood this will be an American or European thing? I guess at this point I cant imagine NOT getting covid anytime before July 😞

Not everybody will get Covid, even if exposed. There are still over 300 million people in the US who have not had a reported positive case. 

2 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Not everybody will get Covid, even if exposed. There are still over 300 million people in the US who have not had a reported positive case. 

I understand that but its quite stressful to think that if I get it in January I cant cruise in July. I am a teacher so am pretty much exposed on a daily basis........

32 minutes ago, firstsailor said:

I understand that but its quite stressful to think that if I get it in January I cant cruise in July. I am a teacher so am pretty much exposed on a daily basis........

Yes, you are definitely at a higher risk. You must be in a state where kids are back in school. Not here in WA state, and we have no idea when they will go back. My daughter in Calif. got word that my granddaughter may not go back until Feb. Just keep doing all the things you are supposed to, and try to stay as safe as possible. 

3 hours ago, firstsailor said:

As a teacher you may get the vaccine earlier than many.  

However that's a moot point in your SO isn't also a teacher.  I live with a teacher but I will be way down the priority list for a vaccine.  She can sail though.   

Yeah that is strange to me- I guess I can only hope they dont carry that rule to Europe. I had to wonder too if the rapid test will show positive if you have antibodies, but it also seems like people who have already had it is who they would want sailing on their ships! That would decrease the spread if there is an outbreak. But what do I know! LOL! 

Just now, twangster said:

As a teacher you may get the vaccine earlier than many.  

However that's a moot point in your SO isn't also a teacher.  I live with a teacher but I will be way down the priority list for a vaccine.  She can sail though.   

My husband is a teacher as well but we also have our 16 year old coming on the trip so he wont be eligible for  it until probably even later since he is still considered a child  (sigh).... 😞

21 hours ago, firstsailor said:

Yeah that is strange to me- I guess I can only hope they dont carry that rule to Europe. I had to wonder too if the rapid test will show positive if you have antibodies, but it also seems like people who have already had it is who they would want sailing on their ships! That would decrease the spread if there is an outbreak. But what do I know! LOL! 

No, they are two different tests.

One tests for the virus, IOW, do you have it now.

The other is a test for antibodies, IOW, you had it, but no longer have it.

On 12/5/2020 at 11:05 AM, crzndeb said:

The CDC says the actual number of covid cases that have occured is 10 to 11 times the confirmed cases. So about 150 to 165 million people in the US have been exposed if those numbers are accurate. That puts the US at over 50 percent exposure. The number of new cases should start to level and decline very soon. We will be running out of people who have not been exposed soon enough.

On 12/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

I wonder why 6 months?    does it mean someone could be shedding the virus several months after they had it?

It means they don't know what they're really doing.  Nothing scientific about that.  Seroprevalence is a good thing.

On 12/5/2020 at 2:10 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

I wonder why 6 months?    does it mean someone could be shedding the virus several months after they had it?

The jury's still out on whether someone who has recovered and has the antibodies can still be a carrier, and to date there is no real data on how long those antibodies protect anyone. There was an epidemiologist from Brigham and Women's Hospital on last night that indicated it could take 1-3 years of follow up analysis before we get solid answers to those questions.

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

The jury's still out on whether someone who has recovered and has the antibodies can still be a carrier, and to date there is no real data on how long those antibodies protect anyone. There was an epidemiologist from Brigham and Women's Hospital on last night that indicated it could take 1-3 years of follow up analysis before we get solid answers to those questions.

Neither do they know how long one is protected after receiving the vaccine.

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Neither do they know how long one is protected after receiving the vaccine.

True. So far they only have ~3 months of available data. The good news is that based on those data, it is at least 3 months. That's one of the reasons why they are following all of the trial subjects for two years.

Edited by orville99

2 hours ago, Fun2snorkel said:

I know this is not a medical forum, but has anyone heard if someone has had the dreaded virus that it will be recommended they receive the vaccine?

Reportedly, the level of antibodies from the vaccination is a lot higher than those who have had the disease. So, yes, if offered, get your jabs. 

• Like 1