The Daily for Sunday Dec 6, 2020

richwmn

today is National Microwave Oven Day, St. Nicholas Day, and Mitten Tree Day

It always seems impossible until its done.

-- Nelson Mandela

Meal suggestion for today - Instant Pot Lasagna

Drink of the Day - Cranberry Mimosas

Wine of the day - Moccagatta Barbaresco Bric Balin vintage 2015

at Sea Atlantic
Nieuw Statendam destination Sint Eustatius eta 12/11
Westerdam destination Sint Eustatius eta 12/13

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam destination Puerto Vallarta eta 12/11

at Sea Caribbean
Oosterdam destination Caracas Bay eta 12/7

Freeport Anchorage
Eurodam

Gibraltar West Anchorage
Noordam

Malta Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Panama Canal
Nieuw Amsterdam

Torquay Anchorage
Volendam
Zaandam

1206East.png

1206West.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Saint Nicholas Day report, Rich.  Don't know how we ever lived without microwave ovens.  I guess Mitten Trees will be mostly virtual this year but needed as much as ever, in fact more so as outdoors is safer than indoors.  I once had the privilege of stepping into Mandela's Cell.  Not sure exactly what instant pot lasagna is but it sounds interesting.  My alternative is Spaghetti, Sauteed Veal Piccata, and Tiramisu, as served my first visit to Prinsendam's new Canaletto December 6, 2013.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

durangoscots, her niece, and niece’s daughter on the November 29 death of her niece’s husband.

Dismomx5's sister and niece-nurse turning covid-positive

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

CrabbyPatti’s dad with dimentia

Mary229's sister with cancer

Yet another wildfire in California, affecting TiogaCruiser’s air

Ine with DH facing cardiac surgery Monday

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A successful procedure for Cruising along’s cousin

Front Line Health Care Workers and support staff

Teachers and school workers

Cat Shepard on a getaway to the Keys and sending us photos

Starting to get a grip on California fires

Christmas cookies

Low exposure rate among local first responders

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

As I type, Nieuw Amsterdam is transiting the Gatun Locks.  It's a shame the webcams are down.

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Happy Sunday.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Great quote from a great man.

I don't have and Instant Pot, but I was planning on lasagna for dinner.🙂

The drink sounds interesting, looking forward to reading about the wine.

Prayers to everyone on the Care List.

Cheers to everyone celebrating.

Stay safe.

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, ski ww said:

I was looking forward to watching the Nieuw Amsterdam doing the transit of the canal, too bad.

If the cameras are operational, you may be able to view the Pacific Locks later today. Nieuw Amsterdam is just entering Gatun Lake now.

Just checked all the cameras again without success. I doubt that they will start up again any time soon.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all.  I also wonder how did we manage without a microwave???   I just love the thught of St Nicholas, brings back lots of happy memories as a child.  I guess there won't be any mitten trees thus year.  

The meals sound wonderful.  I have never heard of "instant pot lasagna" I need to check my cook book!

The saying seems appropriate for this year!

Sending lots of prayers for the people on our list.   Congrats for the people on our celebration list!

On this day December 6, 1884 the Washington Monument was completed.  It must have been an awesome sight to watch it being built.

Anyway I hope everyone has a wonderful day!  Stay safe!!!

Helen

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Morning all! Back in Key Largo, but sadly have no pics to post. My waterproof phone pouch distorted the pics I took snorkeling in Pennekamp State Park so much,  even I could not tell what I was looking at. We head back to Pennekamp today to kayak - if not too windy. This is my last day in the Keys. We head back tomorrow.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This Italian Barbaresco has an amazing rating & a price that is just within my budget range at $45.94. So I just might have to splurge for a special occasion.

#11 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Garnet red color. Fine, complex, fruity, sweet spices and vanilla aromas. On the palate, dry, full-bodied, rich, warm, harmonic, quite tannic and good persistence.

97 - Wine Spectator

Offers an intense display of cherry, kirsch, rose, sandalwood and spice aromas and flavors. The kaleidoscope of flavors is matched to a firm, racy structure. It all comes together on the never-ending, mineral-tinged aftertaste. Best from 2023 through 2043.

521A345F-5B18-4017-9884-2D49DBC5AB9D.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Haha 2

Good morning.  I don't think I could use up leftovers without my microwave.  Our school used to do mitten trees, I feel sorry that has been put on hold for now.  I have an instant pot but have never made lasagna.

Cranberry Mimosas:

Ingredients (serves 4)
1 lime, halved
2 tbsp.sugar
1 c.sweetened cranberry juice
1 bottle champagne
12 fresh cranberries
4 small sprigs fresh rosemary

Directions

Rime champagne flutes with lime and dip in sugar. Pour 1/4 cup cranberry juice into each glass and top with champagne.
Use a toothpick to poke a hole through cranberries. Thread rosemary skewer through cranberries and garnish mimosas.

Prayers and shoutouts for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile.  🙂 

Happy St. Nicholas day 😄 

Mandela’s quote is excellent.  The meal suggestion is a good one sans instant pot (don’t have one 😉 )

Drink of the day sounds great.  Perfect with the season.

Lots of people are working on their Christmas baking.  Many save special treats for this time of the year.  If you are making a special cake, may I suggest the cake for 2020?  :

9C82C58C-B255-45E8-8C5D-CFD5F3ADA4AF.jpeg.a8ef240acb51704f9697042b8a11e2da.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a big toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out List.

8B44AB10-FACD-4E03-8169-F2BE6AC06653.jpeg.6d8f66934c9613b279cd6182eeaa09a2.jpeg

Have a great Sunday everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Rich! Thank you for the Daily and keeping us in touch with the ships. Sure hope web cams come up soon.

Good morning dear friends, my sisters Ann and Deeni. Love you two!

Cat and Jacqui.. loved the pictures this morning! Summer I believe that is a drink we will make. I like that recipe. Roy thank you for prayer list and cheer list. I noticed you took yourself off the list again, so asking our CC folks to continue in prayer for you and your brother's relationship to heal. It hurts, especially during this crazy time and holidays. Adds more stress.

Yesterday I washed windows and rearranged the office to accommodate Sophie's jungle gym. She's too little to reach the rungs or jump up so she stays at the bottom and plays. I do not use the microwave much but I am happy to have it when I need it.

image.jpeg.40b7d1d91056b4b212bccb4c636933b9.jpeg                        Microwave Jokes | Kappit

God bless all our CC friends. Hang in there. Help is on the way, unfortunately it's on the slow boat..

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

It's so nice to see some ships at sea on our maps instead of all of them in anchorage all the time.  I wish we could watch the NS go through the Panama locks too.  Very enjoyable.

Guess I will have to change into blue jeans instead of stretchy waist pants this morning so we can pick up some groceries.  How exciting!  Not...

Today is my other granddaughter's Christmas stocking.  She is a very talented cheerleader and gymnast.  Her cheer team in high school won national champions in their category for about 3 years running in Orlando, FL.  You should see videos of her doing running backflips along the sidelines of the football games.  7, 8, 9, 10!  I get dizzy thinking about it.  enhance

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Thankful every day for the microwave; I remember our first one took 2 people to carry and was the size of a Volkswagen compared to what we have now.   Happy St. Nicholas day to everyone.

I put our tree up yesterday - DH's job is to help put it together and then curse if there are lights not working, while mine is decorating.  Every year there are certain decorations that are a must (special family mementos, and our cruising ornaments), while the rest are whatever I feel should go on the tree.  This year it seems we have mostly white on the green, which is fine - it'll just be for the 2 of us and doesn't have to be picture perfect.

I like the menu suggestion - I bought an Instant Pot last year and haven't used it nearly enough, so this is a definite "going to make" in the next while.  For now though, we have to start eating from the "ice cave" in order to make room for the Christmas baking that I will be putting together in small packages to drop off to friends and neighbours.  Tonight it will be a small beef roast (think very large filet), baked potatoes and a salad.  And wine.

Prayers for all who need them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our glasses tonight for everyone on the celebration list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15

Not sure about microwave oven day, use one all the time just don’t think it needs its own day.

As someone suggested, I recently made lasagna but used cabbage 🥬 instead of pasta.  It was actually quite good.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Lots of people are working on their Christmas baking.  Many save special treats for this time of the year.  If you are making a special cake, may I suggest the cake for 2020?  :

9C82C58C-B255-45E8-8C5D-CFD5F3ADA4AF.jpeg.a8ef240acb51704f9697042b8a11e2da.jpeg

I went to a taste-testing for this new cake, but I have to say that I found it a little "dry".  :classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

(I should stop while I'm on a "roll"....) :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

This Italian Barbaresco has an amazing rating & a price that is just within my budget range at $45.94. So I just might have to splurge for a special occasion.

#11 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Garnet red color. Fine, complex, fruity, sweet spices and vanilla aromas. On the palate, dry, full-bodied, rich, warm, harmonic, quite tannic and good persistence.

97 - Wine Spectator

Offers an intense display of cherry, kirsch, rose, sandalwood and spice aromas and flavors. The kaleidoscope of flavors is matched to a firm, racy structure. It all comes together on the never-ending, mineral-tinged aftertaste. Best from 2023 through 2043.

Mmmm, Italian wines are my wheel-house. Lots of people aren't as familiar with Barbaresco, but you can think of it as the somewhat less aggressive cousin to the Barolo -- they are made from the same grape, but the Barbaresco has less tannin. Both wines are best when aged several years, but with the Barbaresco you can get away with drinking a little sooner. Cheers! 🍷

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

I wanted to amplify my penultimate shoutout:

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Low exposure rate among local first responders

My county has done serology  testing of first responders (Fire and Police) to determine how widespread the problem is.  All our career firefighters take turns on ambulances which often transport suspected Covid patients.  Less than 2% show signs of having been infected, indicating to me that our protocols are quite successful.

Roy

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, TheHealer71 said:

"It always seems impossible until its done.

-- Nelson Mandela"

Loved the opening line!!!

Thanks to everyone for posting. Hoping to read some good news soon.

Welcome to the Daily.

Roy

• Like 4

Good morning.  I’m not sure how I could fix many meals without a microwave.  I have an InstaPot, but have never used it for pasta.  Although I’ve had it for several years, I’m still learning how to really use it.

Kazu, love the picture of the cake, but  I think next weeks cake will be a little more traditional. 😜 

Roy, great news that the protocols used by your first responders are working.

👍🙌

Cookies should be finished today.  I will post pictures soon.

Lenda

• Like 8

Good morning all!

Great quote today, I don't know how we lived without microwave ovens (or dishwashers, etc. etc.) and a Cranberry Mimosa sounds oh so wonderful!

@ger_77it sounds like you and your DH have the same ritual we do -- DH gets the tree home, sets it up, curses about the lights, and I decorate it.  😄 I also do it a little differently each year, but our travel ornaments are always included.  I only got as far as getting the lights on yesterday then rewarded myself with the first bit of Alton Brown Egg Nog I've had "brewing" since last month.  Yum!

Here's something a friend shared yesterday on Facebook that I found uplifting right now.  

T'was a month before Christmas,

And all through the town,

People wore masks,

That covered their frown.

The frown had begun

Way back in the Spring,

When a global pandemic

Changed everything.

They called it corona,

But unlike the beer,

It didn’t bring good times,

It didn’t bring cheer.