Quantum returning to port - possible coronavirus case onboard.

8 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Interview with passenger onboard (notice at about 4:03 he states he was aware of the risks and still will go again):

When people use the word "risk", I wonder how many mean risk as in getting infected or risk as in someone else getting infected which will cause a lockdown and ruin the cruise.

It's such a shame this happened. lets hope this elderly is not a super spreader of sorts. This would be the first active community case in a while, I think since the seoul garden report.

Do you think Royal will cancel the rest of the season in Singapore? Even though it's just one case, it can spread like wildfire. 

Edited by Ethanol95

11 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

It's such a shame this happened. lets hope this elderly is not a super spreader of sorts. This would be the first active community case in a while, I think since the seoul garden report.

Do you think Royal will cancel the rest of the season in Singapore? Even though it's just one case, it can spread like wildfire. 

CNA reports that tomorrow's sailing should be resuming, though RC has given guests the option of cancelling for FCC:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/royal-caribbean-cruise-quantum-of-the-seas-cruise-dec-10-13732732

I think unless the disembarkation tests turn up any more cases, the government and Royal won't be too quick to cancel the remaining cruises. Personally I think the government will be viewing this as a "test case" for Tracetogether, and whether they can resume cruises and other activites (like conferences, concerts) using  the system to quarantine contacts while keeping the rest of the activities going. I sure hope it works the way it's supposed to...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, masteradept said:

CNA reports that tomorrow's sailing should be resuming, though RC has given guests the option of cancelling for FCC:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/royal-caribbean-cruise-quantum-of-the-seas-cruise-dec-10-13732732

I think unless the disembarkation tests turn up any more cases, the government and Royal won't be too quick to cancel the remaining cruises. Personally I think the government will be viewing this as a "test case" for Tracetogether, and whether they can resume cruises and other activites (like conferences, concerts) using  the system to quarantine contacts while keeping the rest of the activities going. I sure hope it works the way it's supposed to...

Actually I'm pretty surprised that the Singapore gov still allows the season to continue, yet alone tomorrow's sailing

6 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

Actually I'm pretty surprised that the Singapore gov still allows the season to continue, yet alone tomorrow's sailing

Why, in the world, would RCCL want to go forward with another cruise?  It can do no good, only further harm.

7 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Why, in the world, would RCCL want to go forward with another cruise?  It can do no good, only further harm.

Think of all the potential revenue they'd lose by cancelling up until March just because of 1 case. 2 sailings per week x 16 weeks. I think they will sail wherever they can get the clearance to.

1 minute ago, Ethanol95 said:

Think of all the potential revenue they'd lose by cancelling up until March just because of 1 case. 2 sailings per week x 16 weeks. I think they will sail wherever they can get the clearance to.

And every positive case sets reopening back by weeks if not months.  RCCL cannot survive on Singapore alone.

Sure hope the COVID-19 result was a false positive.  If not, there is a strong possibility that all RCCL cruise for the 1st quarter (and possibly the 2nd quarter) of 2021 will be canceled.  Just my guess.

From SCS FB site:

(Updated 11:26am SGT) #QuantumOfTheSeas guests receive more information about what there is to come after guests test positive for coronavirus
Along with breakfast served by the ship’s crew, guests onboard has recieved updates from both the company and Singapore’s Health Ministry about what there is to come. Guests will be required to monitor their health for 14 days from date of disembarkation, and will be required to attend a swab test at the end of the 14-day period. However, no quarantine or isolation is needed. Guests are expected to disembark the ship today.
In the letter from Royal Caribbean, guests will be served breakfast from 8:30 to 9:30am in their cabins, and have allowed smoking in their stateroom’s bathrooms for the time being. Royal Caribbean will offer a pro-rated cash refund for the day missed at sea, and any remaining on board credits will be refunded to guests. Additionally, Royal Caribbean will also provide a day’s worth of Future Cruise Credit for use on a future sailing.
Guests has recieved a new update at 11am from the Master, stating that lunch will be delivered between 12.30pm to 1.30pm. Next update about the situation will be provided at 3pm.
There are 1,680 guests, and 1,148 crew onboard currently. According to the local news agency, the 4-night cruise departing tomorrow, December 10, is expected to proceed as per scheduled. However, more updates will be confirmed by 6pm today.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ethanol95 said:

I think they will continue to sail and the government is using it for the data.  This just a a safe as staying at a hotel for 2 nights for a staycation and going to the hotel pool and restaurants.  

It maybe safer due to the COVID tests and extra contact tracing. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sail n Snow said:

I think they will continue to sail and the government is using it for the data.  This just a a safe as staying at a hotel for 2 nights for a staycation and going to the hotel pool and restaurants.  

It maybe safer due to the COVID tests and extra contact tracing. 

I mean it seems quite rare now that those community cases are people who are symptomatic. I don't know whether the rate of infection through asymptomatic would be drastically lower than one who is symptomatic, but this does not bode well if their are virus particles in the air wherever the 83 year old man may have been.

5 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

Or whatever they could make from this. Still better than no income and that debt knocking on their door

RCI mentioned that the break even point at the ship level (never mind corporate level) is somewhere between 30 and 50% capacity - on some of the sailings they could be losing more money, so in some cases it is better to NOT sail at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

RCI mentioned that the break even point at the ship level (never mind corporate level) is somewhere between 30 and 50% capacity - on some of the sailings they could be losing more money, so in some cases it is better to NOT sail at all.

Makes me wonder why bother restarting now then..

From SCS FB page again:

The 3pm update by the captain of Quantum of the Seas to guests onboard revealed that they will "most likely" only be allowed to disembark after another cruise ship berthed at the same terminal, World Dream departs Singapore for a separate voyage.
We understand from sources that the departure time of World Dream has been brought forward to 6.00pm, ahead of the scheduled 9pm to facilitate this. This arrangement might be attributed to avoid cross-mingling between the guests disembarking Quantum of the Seas, and those embarking on World Dream.
Dinner will be served to guests onboard Quantum of the Seas in their staterooms between 5:30pm and 6:30pm. The next update by the captain is expected to be at 7pm.

5 hours ago, masteradept said:

So will this be the policy going forward? No refund, if there was a case on a prior ship you can cancel for future cruise credit. You probably have either paid for a hotel, transportation to the port, parking perhaps. All of which are lost and you can get future cruise credit. 

I'd probably go too. Idk. I'm still thinking about this, prices are probably higher than what I booked, they arent offering you to rebook price protected, so just a fcc for what you paid, if you are younger and dont feel at risk, i can see going. Not boarding you know will be extra bucks out of your pocket.

People been wondering what the policy is ....and for the folks onboard whose cruise was cut short, what do they get?  Curious about that as well. Just to know what the policy is.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

People been wondering what the policy is ....and for the folks onboard whose cruise was cut short, what do they get?  Curious about that as well. Just to know what the policy is.

From what I heard, pro-rated cash refund for the remaining days (in this case 1 day, so presumably 1/3 of the cruise fare) plus the same amount in FCC (so I assume if you paid $300 you get $100 refund plus $100 FCC). 

On the other hand the patient himself and his group do get a full refund in cash. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, masteradept said:

From what I heard, pro-rated cash refund for the remaining days (in this case 1 day, so presumably 1/3 of the cruise fare) plus the same amount in FCC (so I assume if you paid $300 you get $100 refund plus $100 FCC). 

On the other hand the patient himself and his group do get a full refund in cash. 

Thanks. I am booked april 25th which idk if it will go or not, but I'm hoping so. Crossing fingers.