All May 2021 Alaska Cruises CANCELLED

Fly and Sail

Just got the email:

Dear Guest,

We are reaching out to provide an update on the status of your 2021 cruise vacation.  As the world continues to work towards a new normal, our primary goal continues to be a healthy return to service for our guests, crew and the communities we visit.  While working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other local health and government authorities towards this shared goal, we are evaluating all current itineraries to ensure compliance with the new Conditional Sail Order.  This means some of our itineraries will need to be canceled and others will be modified. 

Unfortunately, these deployment adjustments will require cancellation of your Alaska cruise vacation. We apologize for the inconvenience this causes as we value your vacation time and want to ensure you have the best experience possible on a Celebrity Cruise.  At this time, we would like to offer you the opportunity to be re-accommodated on another Celebrity sailing in Alaska or to receive a 125% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) or a 100% Refund. 

From now through December 22, you have the option to rebook on any other 7-night Alaska sailing in 2021, departing between May and September, based on the price and promotion of your original booking or at prevailing rate, whichever is lower.  If you choose to rebook, you will also receive an onboard credit of $100 per stateroom. Please contact us or your Travel Agent to take advantage of this offer. 

If you are unable to rebook by December 22, you will automatically receive a 125% FCC valid for use on sailings through May 4, 2022.  The value of the FCC will be calculated based on the amounts paid toward your cruise and will be processed by January 22, 2021 via email. ...

Sure enough, called and all May 2021 cruises to/from Alaska on X are cancelled. I moved my cruise to June 13 and got the extra $100. Sitting on $450 OBC now, it's piling up! :D

57 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Just got the email:

Dear Guest,

We are ...

Sure enough, called and all May 2021 cruises to/from Alaska on X are cancelled. I moved my cruise to June 13 and got the extra $100. Sitting on $450 OBC now, it's piling up! 😄

I hope you can sail in June.  But if they are cancelling all May Alaska cruises, seems hard to believe that the switch flips and it's all go for the very next month -- cutting it awfully closely.

- Joel

We also received the the cancellation notice today, but it didn't specify which of our cruises was cancelled. We are currently booked on a 5 day Alaska cruise in early May on the Millennium followed by a 7 day cruise on the Solstice. When we subsequently checked on the X website, the Millennium 5 day cruise was still bookable while the Solstice 7 day cruise had disappeared. So I guess it's referring to the Solstice cruise.

I have to admit, it sure would be nice if they were a little more specific as to which cruise they're referring to as this isn't the first time we've received one of these vague cancellation emails.

The reasoning ( or excuse) in the notice seems vague

Without more concrete info on viability of future sailings, folks might prefer  getting a deposit refund and waiting to see how things go.

Our May 2021 Alaskan Cruise was one of the many that were cancelled.  We successfully “lifted and shifted” to September 2021 - no questions asked.   Kept our low rate (vs. the higher prevailing rate) and was given 100 OBC as compensation for inconvenience.

We’re comfortable with the result as we were doubt that May would be a go for Alaska due to current environmental conditions.

Edited by hvbaskey

On 12/8/2020 at 4:54 PM, Fly and Sail said:

Just got the email:

Dear Guest,

We are reaching out to provide an update on the status of your 2021 cruise vacation.  As the world continues to work towards a new normal, our primary goal continues to be a healthy return to service for our guests, crew and the communities we visit.  While working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other local health and government authorities towards this shared goal, we are evaluating all current itineraries to ensure compliance with the new Conditional Sail Order.  This means some of our itineraries will need to be canceled and others will be modified. 

Unfortunately, these deployment adjustments will require cancellation of your Alaska cruise vacation. We apologize for the inconvenience this causes as we value your vacation time and want to ensure you have the best experience possible on a Celebrity Cruise.  At this time, we would like to offer you the opportunity to be re-accommodated on another Celebrity sailing in Alaska or to receive a 125% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) or a 100% Refund. 

From now through December 22, you have the option to rebook on any other 7-night Alaska sailing in 2021, departing between May and September, based on the price and promotion of your original booking or at prevailing rate, whichever is lower.  If you choose to rebook, you will also receive an onboard credit of $100 per stateroom. Please contact us or your Travel Agent to take advantage of this offer. 

If you are unable to rebook by December 22, you will automatically receive a 125% FCC valid for use on sailings through May 4, 2022.  The value of the FCC will be calculated based on the amounts paid toward your cruise and will be processed by January 22, 2021 via email. ...

Sure enough, called and all May 2021 cruises to/from Alaska on X are cancelled. I moved my cruise to June 13 and got the extra $100. Sitting on $450 OBC now, it's piling up! 😄

If ALL May 2021 Alaska cruises were cancelled then why would they be offering you to move to any other 7-night Alaska cruise in MAY through September 2021?? Looks like they plan on still offering at least one May Alaska cruise.

On 12/8/2020 at 4:25 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

We also received the the cancellation notice today, but it didn't specify which of our cruises was cancelled. We are currently booked on a 5 day Alaska cruise in early May on the Millennium followed by a 7 day cruise on the Solstice. When we subsequently checked on the X website, the Millennium 5 day cruise was still bookable while the Solstice 7 day cruise had disappeared. So I guess it's referring to the Solstice cruise.

I have to admit, it sure would be nice if they were a little more specific as to which cruise they're referring to as this isn't the first time we've received one of these vague cancellation emails.

Same!! We are booked on the Millenium 5-day but our following Eclipse 7-day was cancelled. Weird.

We are booked for Alaska 7 nights in August.  It was clearly pointed out on another board that the CDC isn't allowing anything more than 7 DAYS if it includes an American port.  This means 6 nights (you can look it up).  I called both my TA and Celebrity and both were clueless and basically said maybe it might be canceled or maybe it might be shortened.  Absolutely no help.

Management for Celebrity is less than upfront.  I am disappointed.

2 hours ago, mimbecky said:

We are booked for Alaska 7 nights in August.  It was clearly pointed out on another board that the CDC isn't allowing anything more than 7 DAYS if it includes an American port.  This means 6 nights (you can look it up).  I called both my TA and Celebrity and both were clueless and basically said maybe it might be canceled or maybe it might be shortened.  Absolutely no help.

Management for Celebrity is less than upfront.  I am disappointed.

A seven night cruise is seven nights. They usually run from Saturday to Saturday. That means Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,  Thursday, and Friday night are spent on the ship, that's seven nights.

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2020 at 10:15 AM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I saw eclipse cancelled until early June. Solstice thru May. Millennium still sailing. This was a few hours ago.

19 hours ago, Threedrones said:

Where did you see this? 

Updated cruises can be found here. Celebrity Cruises just updated them today or yesterday.

Millennium will have her first cruise on 9th May, Solstice on 28th May, Eclipse on 6th June.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/Deployment/CEL_Millennium_2021_Summer_Alaska_Deployment.pdf

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/Deployment/CEL_Solstice_2021_Alaska_Deployment.pdf

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/Deployment/CEL_Eclipse_2021_Summer_Alaska_Deployment.pdf

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

Our May 2021 Alaskan Cruise was one of the many that were cancelled.  We successfully “lifted and shifted” to September 2021 - no questions asked.   Kept our low rate (vs. the higher prevailing rate) and was given 100 OBC as compensation for inconvenience.

Please don't confuse people that this was part of the Lift and Shift program.  It wasn't, it was an option presented to you to move your suspended cruise to any 7 night Alaska cruise this season at the protected price.  I think it was a nice option for Celebrity to give you.

I'm not trying to beat you up it's just that many people don't understand L&S and are upset when they can't just move their sailing to a like sailing outside of the parameters of the program.

Lift and Shift program requires the replacement sailing to be 1 year +/- 4 weeks in the future on a similar itinerary and ship, and sailing must not depart after May 4, 2022.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

A seven night cruise is seven nights. They usually run from Saturday to Saturday. That means Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,  Thursday, and Friday night are spent on the ship, that's seven nights.

Yes.  A seven night cruise is seven nights.  It is also 8 days..Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.  You are ON the ship- even just a portion for 8 days and CDC says :

• Cruises longer than 7 days are not allowed. This length may change depending on the status of the pandemic

Explained: What Cruise Lines Must Do to Sail Again (According to the CDC Framework) | Cruzely.com

Hope not, but be prepared.... Many people on other boards are saying their cruises have been shortened to 6 nights and prorated. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 5:44 PM, Threedrones said:

I haven’t heard anything on my May 16 Alaska. Can no longer find it on Celebrity’s site, though. However, they do show five other Alaska cruises in May, 2021.  I wish they would be more up front about things.

They are the worst for being upfront. I have been told different "tales" by Celebrity. I was told the Eclipse was going into dry dock for updating, then told no, the Eclipse has already been updated (false), that our May cruise was still a go regardless of the fact that it was more then 7 nights (false), then told that they have not officially cancelled this cruise. Its bad enough that we are kept in the dark but terrible that their staff that have direct contact with guests and/or TA's are also misinformed.

4 hours ago, mimbecky said:

Yes.  A seven night cruise is seven nights.  It is also 8 days..Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.  You are ON the ship- even just a portion for 8 days and CDC says :

• Cruises longer than 7 days are not allowed. This length may change depending on the status of the pandemic

Explained: What Cruise Lines Must Do to Sail Again (According to the CDC Framework) | Cruzely.com

Hope not, but be prepared.... Many people on other boards are saying their cruises have been shortened to 6 nights and prorated. 

Sorry, but this does not explain why, just within the last 2 weeks, X modified many itineraries to comply with the CDC mandate of 7 day cruises.

Those already scheduled for 6 nights were extended by 1 day to 7, with no increase in fare to those booked. X also shortened cruises of 8 nights to 7 and gave those already booked additional OBC. 

The day of debarkation is NEVER counted as part of the total number of days of a cruise, just check any reservation confirmation you have ever received.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

The day of debarkation is NEVER counted as part of the total number of days of a cruise, just check any reservation confirmation you have ever received.

Actually, none of my cruise documents refer to the number of days, instead referring to the number of nights. So, for example:

1971143939_ScreenShot2020-12-10at3_37_42PM.thumb.png.956e32cb426f49390000d091a5c047cf.png

The same applies to booking a cruise. The duration is always provided as the number of nights, not days. This is consistent with all cruise lines with whom I have cruised or researched for possible cruises.

On the other hand, if you look at the Celebrity online itinerary for a given cruise, they do count the days. All of them! So for a 7 night cruise, the website lists embarkation day as Day 1 and disembarkation day as Day 8. Consequently, Celebrity and the majority of cruisers consider a cruise to be "x" many nights and "x+1" days in length.   

22 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Actually, none of my cruise documents refer to the number of days, instead referring to the number of nights. So, for example:

1971143939_ScreenShot2020-12-10at3_37_42PM.thumb.png.956e32cb426f49390000d091a5c047cf.png

The same applies to booking a cruise. The duration is always provided as the number of nights, not days. This is consistent with all cruise lines with whom I have cruised or researched for possible cruises.

On the other hand, if you look at the Celebrity online itinerary for a given cruise, they do count the days. All of them! So for a 7 night cruise, the website lists embarkation day as Day 1 and disembarkation day as Day 8. Consequently, Celebrity and the majority of cruisers consider a cruise to be "x" many nights and "x+1" days in length.   

Sounds like our cruisers have two problems.  The "famous" Celebrity website not exactly being up to date and confusion with L&S.

Dr. Henry has been talking about May to get most vaccinated in British Columbia.  Is it likely that Celebrity cannot see Canada ports opening until at least June?  The Colonist - Victoria newspaper - reported yesterday receiving 4 boxes of Pfizer vaccine.  Arizona received the same amount just for Tucson.  Presume Canada purchased larger quantities of other vaccines?

We were on the May 15th sailing of Eclipse that got canceled. I called the main number to see about the rebooking option that seems fairly lucrative. Looking at the sailings in July/August. (God knows if we'll be allowed to go by then, but fingers crossed) I asked about the July 25th sailing and was told that I would have to move to an interior to use the rate/promo that I had. (I have a killer fare, perks, and OBC) But, I was like "No way am I giving up my balcony." So, I said let me think about it. I called back using the # from the cancellation email. Got a great person who confirmed that I can keep my deal and move to another sailing, no problem!

The funny part of all this is that when I was transferred to the "Redeployment" agent for the actual booking part of the deal, I got the guy that first told me I'd have to go interior or pay the difference. He had been informed of the policy and now was happy to rebook me on July 25th sailing. Same stateroom even. And an additional $100 OBC!

So, if you call to rebook, make sure you get your deal!

Here's hoping to sailing in July!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Sounds like our cruisers have two problems.  The "famous" Celebrity website not exactly being up to date and confusion with L&S.

Dr. Henry has been talking about May to get most vaccinated in British Columbia.  Is it likely that Celebrity cannot see Canada ports opening until at least June?  The Colonist - Victoria newspaper - reported yesterday receiving 4 boxes of Pfizer vaccine.  Arizona received the same amount just for Tucson.  Presume Canada purchased larger quantities of other vaccines?

British Columbia’s plan within this article:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/covid19-vaccine-rollout-plans-canada-1.5836262

I cannot see that by May everyone in BC will be vaccinated - the plan is apparently 50% by June 2021 and 100% by Dec 2021 for Canada.  Then again, this environment is changing rapidly, so will see what happens.

Immunization begins with front-line workers and residents/staff of LTC facilities (as it should be).

22 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Please don't confuse people that this was part of the Lift and Shift program.  It wasn't, it was an option presented to you to move your suspended cruise to any 7 night Alaska cruise this season at the protected price.  I think it was a nice option for Celebrity to give you.

I'm not trying to beat you up it's just that many people don't understand L&S and are upset when they can't just move their sailing to a like sailing outside of the parameters of the program.

Lift and Shift program requires the replacement sailing to be 1 year +/- 4 weeks in the future on a similar itinerary and ship, and sailing must not depart after May 4, 2022.

Thank you for the correction in terminology.

Cheers 🌻

18 hours ago, mrbocbox said:

We were on the May 15th sailing of Eclipse that got canceled. I called the main number to see about the rebooking option that seems fairly lucrative. Looking at the sailings in July/August. (God knows if we'll be allowed to go by then, but fingers crossed) I asked about the July 25th sailing and was told that I would have to move to an interior to use the rate/promo that I had. (I have a killer fare, perks, and OBC) But, I was like "No way am I giving up my balcony." So, I said let me think about it. I called back using the # from the cancellation email. Got a great person who confirmed that I can keep my deal and move to another sailing, no problem!

The funny part of all this is that when I was transferred to the "Redeployment" agent for the actual booking part of the deal, I got the guy that first told me I'd have to go interior or pay the difference. He had been informed of the policy and now was happy to rebook me on July 25th sailing. Same stateroom even. And an additional $100 OBC!

So, if you call to rebook, make sure you get your deal!

Here's hoping to sailing in July!

We finally received our notice of cancellation for Eclipse in May, 2020. No L&S available because of the date. Won’t use FCC because it would not even cover the increased cruise fare. Wasn’t offered the cruises through end of September. Sadly, I guess it’s time to look for a different Cruise Line.