Grand or Sapphire or Majestic for Alaska?

new2cruise

We had a reservation on the Coral last summer for Alaska, which would be our first choice for sailing Alaska, which of course was cancelled.  So now we want to go in 2022, and it seems they are not sending the Coral to Alaska in 2022.  We want the 7day Voyage of the Glaciers that either starts in Whittier or Vancouver and our only choices are the Grand Princess, the Majestic or the Sapphire.  Which would you choose and why?

Edited by new2cruise

• new2cruise changed the title to Grand or Sapphire or Majestic for Alaska?

We just booked the Grand Princess yesterday for our 10 day Alaska cruise & land tour starting May 29, 2022 from Anchorage. It mentions on Princess's website the Grand was refurbished in May 2019 and will be ocean medallion ready by then. We have never been on the Grand, but the Deck plans look good. I specially like that Alfredo's is shown on Deck 5 by the piazza. I have been on many different Princess ships and have always enjoyed each ship and what each one had to offer. Can't wait to get back to cruising.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

I've been on both Grand (Alaska) & Sapphire (Asia). I would choose the Sapphire and view the wake show / scenic cruising from Skywalkers.  But if the Grand, watch whales from Alfredos on Plaza Deck while others are tendering onshore 

Edited by Ombud

Never sailed on Majestic but it seems to me to be awfully large for Alaska cruising. I'd take Sapphire. It's a great ship. Grand has a couple of things I don't like as well as Sapphire. On Grand the mid ship staircase doesn't go up very far at all. Grand also has smaller closets.

7 hours ago, Katwoman007 said:

We loved the Grand when we went last year to Alaska. We were on the Emerald for a Cabo trip and I believe that is a sister ship of Sapphire. If I had to choose between the two, we enjoyed the Grand much more. 

The Sapphire is not a sister of the Emerald. It has 500 less passengers.

It is more like the Grand, before the Grand was modified.

Majestic would be my least favorite.  We’ve never sailed on the ship but it seems too large for Alaskan ports and viewing of glaciers. 

Agree with others -- The Sapphire would be my choice.

Grand (Grand Class) - refurbished 3/2019

Guests - 2600

Length – 949 ft

Tonnage – 107,707

Sapphire (Grand Class) – refurbished 3/2018

Guests – 2670

Length – 952 ft

Tonnage – 115,875

Majestic (Royal Class) - refurbished?

Guests – 3560

Length – 1082 ft

Tonnage – 143,700

Source:  Princess web site

Majestic -- having an additional 1000 guests in Alaskan port is not for us.  Ketchikan and Skagway are small ports and can get over crowded when ships are in port.  Plus, the Majestic does not have a promenade deck like the others ships.  Also, the Majestic was originally configured for the Asia Pacific market.  Chinese Name: 盛世公主号 (Shèng Shì Gōng Zhǔ Haò).  What changes did they make to the Majestic to accommodate the North American market? 

We are currently looking an Alaska Cruise Tour for July 2022 with the Sapphire being our choice.  This is our 3rd Cruise Tour in Alaska.  John

4 hours ago, Coral said:

The Sapphire is not a sister of the Emerald. It has 500 less passengers.

It is more like the Grand, before the Grand was modified.

The Sapphire and Diamond are sister ships. Both constructed in Japan. Wider Promenade deck than the Grand class too.

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

The Sapphire and Diamond are sister ships. Both constructed in Japan. Wider Promenade deck than the Grand class too.

It is slightly different - it doesn't have the extra 500 passenger deck. Enough to make it a pick for me. I consider the Crown, Emerald and Ruby sisters. The Sapphire is closer to the Golden and Star (and Grand before modified).

I have sailed many times on the Grand class ships. I think the Sapphire is the star amongst them.

Edited by Coral