How Irresponsible!

Captain_Morgan

While scrolling through another site just the other day I came across a post from the port in Mukran, which at first glance I didn't pay much attention to as it was seemingly another innocuous post about a port being thankful that a ship is there, etc.  But when I scrolled back it dawned on me that those in the photo were, for lack of a better term captured in what can only be described as reckless and irresponsible behavior.

I know the Viking loyalists who think the company is without fault will see nothing wrong with this photo and will convince themselves and others that all is perfectly normal and I am nothing but a troll (whatever helps spin the counter narrative I suppose 🙄) , but in this current time of a global pandemic I would have expected to see at the very least someone wearing a mask, and at a stretch a little social distancing?  The two women pictured I can only guess are representatives of the port, neither of whom are wearing masks, and one could argue that the angle from which the photo was taken might not accurately show the distance between them and the crew; however, the semantics and small details that people are surely to point out does not take away from the fact that the optics of this IMO are not particularly positive given Germany by last count had in excess of 30K cases per day recently and Viking are seemingly posing for a photo op despite it all.

As I say, you can put your head in the sand and pretend everything is normal for whatever reason you choose in order to self-justify but as they say a picture tells a thousand words and this one, although as part of the original post was meant to be part of something positive (giving gifts of chocolate to the crew) comes across as pretty tone deaf.

image.png.8517cb7dd05b3d7d4a86cb23b74d0538.png

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2020 at 6:40 AM, Captain_Morgan said:

I am nothing but a troll

My feeling is that anyone suggesting such a thing is doing you a serious disservice. While you may come at issues from a different point of view from myself and others, in my experience you have always expressed your opinions in a logical and perfectly reasonable way. It is important that we are able to differentiate your justifiable criticism from troll like “mud throwing” by others.....this post is a prime example.

Dealing firstly with the facts. The image was taken on 17th December 2020 and is included in an item on the port’s website with the capitalized heading “PORT SASSNITZ-MUKRAN WITH CHRISTMAS GREETINGS FOR SHIP CREWS”

Estimating the spacing between individuals is made easier by the rectangular block paving, given that the blocks are approximately 100x200 mm in size. Using this as a guide it is clear that the officers have not maintained the 1.5-meter separation that is recommended while on-shore by the local German authorities. The port representatives have exceeded that requirement, at least between each other. Face coverings are not a regulatory issue in this case as they are only a requirement while using public transport and in shops. Even so I do feel that the crew missed a chance to make a visual statement about the importance of masks by wearing them in the photograph. 

It does not excuse the breach of guidance but from a practical point of view it seems likely that the crew will have been isolated for some time, subject to frequent temperature checks and maybe even the daily testing protocol which is being introduced. Therefore, the only substantial transmission risk would seem to be from the port staff to the crew themselves. 

While I readily accept the officers did not use “best practice” I personally do not think their actions was egregious or irresponsible to any great extent. I would save those terms for the indoor parties held in recent weeks by political leaders and celebrities in various parts of the world.

Also, it does not look to me like a formal photocall and may even have come as something of a surprise to the crew. Hopefully, in hindsight, all those involved would agree that the event could have been arranged in a more appropriate way. 

However it came about, it is very sad that the apparent breach of guidelines has somewhat tarnished such a kind and caring gesture from the port to mariners who will be away from their homes this Christmas. 

• Like 4

Consider the source of this thread and move on.

At this point, the crew members would be  daily (household) contacts, and would not be socially distanced in their daily interactions with each other.

It appears that the two groups, crew and port, are socially distanced.  

Has everyone checked the restrictions in place for this locale at the time of this photo? It may have met the local standard for social interaction .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Has everyone checked the restrictions in place for this locale at the time of this photo?

That information is in my reply:

2 hours ago, photopro2 said:

it is clear that the officers have not maintained the 1.5-meter separation that is recommended while on-shore by the local German authorities.

While somewhat socially distanced the two groups do not seem to be separated to required degree. In any case the local restrictions relate to the minimum distance to be observed between individuals not "groups" and the officers are obviously much closer than 1.5 meters (4 feet 11 inches) from one another.

You are probably right that the officers do not socially distance in their daily interactions on-board.

However that does not excuse their failing to comply with local recommendations once they set foot ashore.

It is not a hanging offence especially if, as I suggested, this all came out of the blue for them. My main point is that this was a missed opportunity to demonstrate "best practice" by having everyone socially distance appropriately (as the port staff have done) and even going above and beyond by also wearing masks. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, johneb2 said:

Captain Morgan, I believe this maybe an old picture, pre-pandemic.   JohnEB2

What is the basis of your belief when its been proven more than once that this was taken on 16 December 2020?

As was very eloquently stated by @photopro2, this may not be a hanging offence (never suggested it was) but it was most definitely a missed opportunity and not particularly flattering when considering the Captain is pictured along with his senior management team.  Imagine if there were a group of lesser ranked crew who happened to be photographed in a similar way, I'm sure there wouldn't be the same laissez-fare approach.

18 hours ago, johneb2 said:

Captain Morgan, I believe this maybe an old picture, pre-pandemic.   JohnEB2

Photopro checked out the date on the picture and says it was taken on 12/17/20. See post #7 above where he writes:

On 12/20/2020 at 9:52 AM, photopro2 said:

Dealing firstly with the facts. The image was taken on 17th December 2020 and is included in an item on the port’s website with the capitalized heading “PORT SASSNITZ-MUKRAN WITH CHRISTMAS GREETINGS FOR SHIP CREWS”

On 12/22/2020 at 1:16 AM, Captain_Morgan said:

What is the basis of your belief when its been proven more than once that this was taken on 16 December 2020?

As was very eloquently stated by @photopro2, this may not be a hanging offence (never suggested it was) but it was most definitely a missed opportunity and not particularly flattering when considering the Captain is pictured along with his senior management team.  Imagine if there were a group of lesser ranked crew who happened to be photographed in a similar way, I'm sure there wouldn't be the same laissez-fare approach.

I apologize, you are correct!   Just seemed odd.  JohnEB