Advice on Diamond Ring

chris7cc

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW: If you have any professional experience with US embassies specifically or the US State Dept. in general, do your best to identify their "cultural attaché" and query him/her about best places to buy jewelry in their region. Before retiring, I often used this strategy across/around the Pacific Rim for a variety of purchases from jewelry to indigenous art to custom clothing and have never been disappointed.

Based on postings at 4 different embassies, you don't need to hunt down the cultural attache.  Best stores, including jewelry stores, is a common topic of discussion among all Embassy staff. 

In the 1990s we lived in Brussels, Belgium.  While there was a vibrant diplomatic community (the US alone had 3 embassies: to Belgium, to the EU and to NATO), it was also the European base of many large multinational companies whose employees had lots of disposable income and 'diamond parties' were common with many of the spouses.  I accompanied a friend diamond shopping in Antwerp whose husband was a VP of FedEx.  The jeweler showed her diamonds and she bought herself a 4 carat ring and a 1 carat ring for her mother.  After the sale he took us to lunch.  So I got a free lunch and a good story out of the trip. The month before we left Brussels my Belgian dentist asked if I was taking any diamonds home as a souvenir.  I laughed and reminded him that my DH was a civil servant and the 3 new crowns in my mouth were my Belgian souvenirs. 

OP - not an answer to your question but since you live in the UK have you considered shopping in Antwerp?

Edited by capriccio

OP is buying an eternity ring for his wife. An eternity ring is made up of small diamonds of size 0.01 ct to 0.20 ct. A circle of 1-ct size diamonds would be very uncomfortable to wear, even if it is possible to fit.  Generally, diamonds smaller than 0.30 ct do not get certification due to high cost of getting the certificate.  Without the certificate showing the cut parameters, the purchaser needs to know what to look for when examining diamonds, even shopping in Manhattan.  This is why I recommended him to go to Whiteflash.

1 hour ago, chris7cc said:

Thanks everyone for your advice, I think we will look in my local town and then compare to NYC and get it ether when we get back or NYC.

Insider tip.

If buying in NYC, ask the NYC store to post your box, invoice, credit card receipts etc.and place the item/s inside the usual jewellery carrier/box.  The Store will be happy to oblige. Just in case HMRC select your luggage for random checks/search, there will be no ‘new box’ or interesting paperwork to sniff over.  Think the the Duty/Vat free value must be below £390.00 on items purchased for personal use.

11 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

OP is buying an eternity ring for his wife. An eternity ring is made up of small diamonds of size 0.01 ct to 0.20 ct. A circle of 1-ct size diamonds would be very uncomfortable to wear, even if it is possible to fit.

Good point. 

Somehow I managed to upsell the OP into a new engagement ring!

p.s   From what I have seen of them,   the diamonds used in the eternity rings at the big box store look to me to be very nice at very competitive prices..    If they match-up in color to your wedding ring then you really can't go wrong using them.   Just saying.....

Edited by JRG

13 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

OP is buying an eternity ring for his wife. An eternity ring is made up of small diamonds of size 0.01 ct to 0.20 ct. A circle of 1-ct size diamonds would be very uncomfortable to wear, even if it is possible to fit.  Generally, diamonds smaller than 0.30 ct do not get certification due to high cost of getting the certificate.  Without the certificate showing the cut parameters, the purchaser needs to know what to look for when examining diamonds, even shopping in Manhattan.  This is why I recommended him to go to Whiteflash.

This is going to be a dumb question as neither my wife or I wear any jewelry.  From your description of an eternity ring, what you are getting is a whole bunch of really tiny diamonds.  

1) With stones that size, can you tell the difference between good stones and not-so-good stones;

2) With stones that size, can you tell the difference between real and synthetic diamonds or even diamond substitutes.

DON

My one and only experience buying jewelry was in St. Thomas fifteen years or so again.  I had select a piece of gold jewelry to take home to my spouse as a gift.

I had it weighed at the sales counter.   Then I asked for the piece to be weighed on another scale.  The second scale was on a back counter.  The salesperson was not enthusiastic to say the least but he did comply.  Yes....the scales were different.  The scale in the sales area registered a higher weight-by about 20 percent.

How many of us really know the value of a stone, let alone how to assess it's quality, clarity etc. I would venture to say few.  It is extremely hard to judge value.  Those so called 'appraisal certificates' are nothing more than a sales tool.  They are meaningless except to satisfy the buyer's ego.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 8:12 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Because a man can’t be trusted to get correct size and quality of stone, the setting, the ring size, etc etc.  And a one off bespoke piece for a special occasion, rather than something commercial, is just that little bit better. But this is just one’s opinion.

In that case  go to a local jeweller  together & choose the right one that suits  "she who must be obeyed"

Then if it is wrong  it is her fault  😉

I rarely let hubby choose my rings  for me

If he wants to surprise me  I show him 3 or 4  & let him surprise me  😁

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

This is going to be a dumb question as neither my wife or I wear any jewelry.  From your description of an eternity ring, what you are getting is a whole bunch of really tiny diamonds.  

1) With stones that size, can you tell the difference between good stones and not-so-good stones;

2) With stones that size, can you tell the difference between real and synthetic diamonds or even diamond substitutes.

DON

Not a dumb question.  I was faced with this same question until after I purchased a 2.4-ct diamond from Whiteflash (their signature ideal cut, hearts and arrows round brilliant).  Shown in my photo’s 3-stone ring is the 2.4-ct diamond in the center.

Whiteflash cut their diamonds to ideal cut spec (AGS spec, which is similar to GIA but emphasizes on cut).  They send the larger ones to get certificates (so they can justify charging a premium price for the well-cut diamonds).  Due to cost restriction, they do not send the smaller diamonds for certification, but their diamond experts with trained eyes screen and sort them for their signature ACA diamond melees.  Since that the starting material is already high color, and that their equipment/technique is aiming for ideal cut parameters, they are able to produce their target ACA spec with good yield. All their ACA melees are F color, ideal cut, and VS clarity.  Therefore, I know I have a reliable vendor for high quality (natural) diamond melees.  I buy online and communicate with their sales rep via phone/emails.  When I received my first diamond tennis bracelets (15-points melees), I felt over the moon with delight.  The sparkling diamonds seemed to dance and speak to me.  After that, I continue to buy my diamond jewelry from Whiteflash without hesitation.  Their customer service is superb and responsive.  They make an effort to please all their customers.

1. Can I tell the difference between good and bad stones?  I have looked at diamonds from jewelry store, local and Manhattan, and also Tiffany.  Trust me.  After having purchased so many ACA diamonds of various sizes and color, I can tell very well, and my trained eyes can tell the difference right away.  When shopping jewelry stores, I always wear my ACA diamonds for quick reference.  The SA’s who see my diamonds know I know my diamonds.(although I do not say much).

2. Can I tell if the small stones are real or synthetic?  Most likely.  I cannot be 100% sure, due to tricky store lighting.  I do not even consider buying melees without AGI or GIA certificates, except through Whiteflash.  Thus, I need not worry about inadvertently buying fake or synthetic stones.  I am very strict about the cut spec., nothing short of ideal.  Thus, it is not likely that I buy jewelry with diamond melees elsewhere. For large diamonds, I can judge and screen based on cut parameters in the certificate.

Would it be worth your, and your wife's, while to plan a romantic break in London?

A  nice Hotel,  a  good meal, or two, and a visit to Hatton Gardens to browse rings.

Done before your trip you could get a good idea of what you are looking for, quality, design, and price, if you still wish to go that route.

You may even find what you are looking for there, or be able to commission a ring to your own specifications.

This would give you a nice adventure, something that was unique in your local, and peace of mind if any problems arise with the ring as it was bought on 'home turf'.

Cheers, h 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

Not a dumb question.  I was faced with this same question until after I purchased a 2.4-ct diamond from Whiteflash (their signature ideal cut, hearts and arrows round brilliant).  Shown in my photo’s 3-stone ring is the 2.4-ct diamond in the center.

Whiteflash cut their diamonds to ideal cut spec (AGS spec, which is similar to GIA but emphasizes on cut).  They send the larger ones to get certificates (so they can justify charging a premium price for the well-cut diamonds).  Due to cost restriction, they do not send the smaller diamonds for certification, but their diamond experts with trained eyes screen and sort them for their signature ACA diamond melees.  Since that the starting material is already high color, and that their equipment/technique is aiming for ideal cut parameters, they are able to produce their target ACA spec with good yield. All their ACA melees are F color, ideal cut, and VS clarity.  Therefore, I know I have a reliable vendor for high quality (natural) diamond melees.  I buy online and communicate with their sales rep via phone/emails.  When I received my first diamond tennis bracelets (15-points melees), I felt over the moon with delight.  The sparkling diamonds seemed to dance and speak to me.  After that, I continue to buy my diamond jewelry from Whiteflash without hesitation.  Their customer service is superb and responsive.  They make an effort to please all their customers.

1. Can I tell the difference between good and bad stones?  I have looked at diamonds from jewelry store, local and Manhattan, and also Tiffany.  Trust me.  After having purchased so many ACA diamonds of various sizes and color, I can tell very well, and my trained eyes can tell the difference right away.  When shopping jewelry stores, I always wear my ACA diamonds for quick reference.  The SA’s who see my diamonds know I know my diamonds.(although I do not say much).

2. Can I tell if the small stones are real or synthetic?  Most likely.  I cannot be 100% sure, due to tricky store lighting.  I do not even consider buying melees without AGI or GIA certificates, except through Whiteflash.  Thus, I need not worry about inadvertently buying fake or synthetic stones.  I am very strict about the cut spec., nothing short of ideal.  Thus, it is not likely that I buy jewelry with diamond melees elsewhere. For large diamonds, I can judge and screen based on cut parameters in the certificate.

Sounds like you are knowledgeable and know what you are buying.  If I just wanted to go out and buy something for my wife, would I be able to tell the difference.  Once I gave it to her, would she be able to tell.

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Sounds like you are knowledgeable and know what you are buying.  If I just wanted to go out and buy something for my wife, would I be able to tell the difference.  Once I gave it to her, would she be able to tell.

DON

First of all, sorry to OP for hyjacking your thread. This will be my last sidetracking response here.  I would be happy to discuss offline for further information sharing.

Back to Don - if you have never bought diamonds before, you would not know what to look for, because you have no baseline for reference.  However, ideal cut diamonds are hard to miss, because they sparkle madly, are bright, and sharp under all kinds of lighting, even from a distance.

An example of a diamond laymen:  Years ago, my coworker gave his wife a zirconian ring, pretending it to be a diamond ring.  His wife looked at her ring for a few days, and finally figured it out.  Not sure if she suspected and had it checked out, or her friend pointed it out to her.

If you buy your wife a diamond that is of so-so cut, she will eventually know from her friends.  Women love to see/check one another’s babbles.

If you are in the US, suggest that you order a small ACA diamond, and examine it for a free inspection period.  You can return it for full refund. (All you need to pay is return shipping.). This way, you have a baseline for what a real, ideal cut diamond looks like.

Or I can help you screen or pick out a round diamond based on the cut parameters.  Email me the cut parameters (or certificate number) before you decide to pay.  Make sure the jeweler has a refund policy.  Warning - there are many jewelry stores on 47th Street that do not have free return/full refund policy.  Once you pay and walk out the door, you are stuck with the diamond, good or bad.  My shopping experience tells me that most jewelry stores do not carry too many ideal cut diamonds.  If you ask for it, they may search online and order for you.

One last recommendation is to check out whiteflash’s website for diamond pricing.  Their pricing is fair for ideal cut diamonds (meaning you do not overpay for high quality).  Knowing current diamond pricing is important when shopping around, similar to shopping for your next cruise.

I can go on and on to share my thoughts about diamonds and jewelry must-know (sizing, design, proportion, style vs safety, and etc.), but we must  do so offline. I am not associated with any jewelry vendor. I am simply a consumer and a cruise/travel addict.

If you anticipate shopping for jewelry, not just diamonds, I suggest you invest in a good jeweler's loupe.  It's a small magnifying glass.  Get a ten power (10x) triplet lens.  Take it to a local jeweler and ask him/her to show you have to best use it.  There are videos on youtube showing you how to use them.  Look at your own (or your wife's) jewelry.  (You will be amazed how badly it needs cleaning).  Get comfortable using it.  When you pull it out to look at an item in a jewelry store, you will get a little more respect.  I was in a store in Cozumel years ago, looking at a pretty ring, not diamond, knowing that it would need to be sized.  It was a gold setting.  That time I didn't have my loupe, so I couldn't read what was stamped inside the ring band.  So I asked for a loupe.  They gave me one, and low and behold, the stamping in the band said 925.  Silver, gold plated.  I pointed it out to them, and they tried to convince me it was Italian gold!  Needless to say, I didn't buy anything in that store.  EM

12 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

If you anticipate shopping for jewelry, not just diamonds, I suggest you invest in a good jeweler's loupe.  It's a small magnifying glass.  Get a ten power (10x) triplet lens.  Take it to a local jeweler and ask him/her to show you have to best use it. 

With one hand bring the loupe to the bridge of your nose and hold it stationary and with the other hand bring the jewelry piece into focus.   Your loupe is your friend and it can help you learn how to see inclusions.   Keep your other free hand on your wallet just to play it safe.

Nowadays,  the easiest way to determine if a diamond is real or is cz is to buy an instant  diamond tester,  they are now very affordable on the big river website and every jeweler and pawn shop has one.

If you have experience then you will learn that if a diamond is too dazzling and perfect to the visible eye then it is probably CZ or synthetic.  

Though we had a good experience in St. Thomas years ago at the H. Stern store (they are the Tiffany's of South America), I would still strongly recommend going to a gemologist in your home city, and preferably one that you know or have been assured that you can trust.  As I said, I had a good experience with H. Stern & Co., but traveled with another couple that bought a diamond, tennis bracelet from a store touted by someone who gave a port lecture on a cruise.  When they got home, it turned out that the bracelet was not a fraction of what was promised, and though they got their money back, it was not easy.  I also made the mistake of trusting a jewelry store inside a Hilton Hotel many eons ago, and came home to find out that the jade ring was not jade at all.

As for buying diamonds or other jewelry onboard the ship, I think it is safe to say that those items are vastly overpriced onboard a ship, and knowing what we know now about buying art works onboard ships, I wouldn't even think of buying jewelry onboard. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2020 at 7:55 AM, msmayor said:

Why not buy the ring from a local jeweler you trust, then give it to her on the cruise?

^^^   Dittto that

travel worldwide including to the  caribbean is  way down.  jewelers inthe islands have to be DESPERATE  (IMO)..for business, cruisers, buyers.   Desperate people do desperate ( sometimes very uglythings.    for such a purchase, given the circumstances existing today,  buy the ring at  home.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2020 at 3:58 PM, bbwex said:

Though we had a good experience in St. Thomas years ago at the H. Stern store (they are the Tiffany's of South America), I would still strongly recommend going to a gemologist in your home city, and preferably one that you know or have been assured that you can trust.  As I said, I had a good experience with H. Stern & Co., but traveled with another couple that bought a diamond, tennis bracelet from a store touted by someone who gave a port lecture on a cruise.  When they got home, it turned out that the bracelet was not a fraction of what was promised, and though they got their money back, it was not easy.  I also made the mistake of trusting a jewelry store inside a Hilton Hotel many eons ago, and came home to find out that the jade ring was not jade at all.

As for buying diamonds or other jewelry onboard the ship, I think it is safe to say that those items are vastly overpriced onboard a ship, and knowing what we know now about buying art works onboard ships, I wouldn't even think of buying jewelry onboard. 

Mistake #1.

DON

5 hours ago, sail7seas said:

^^^   Dittto that

travel worldwide including to the  caribbean is  way down.  jewelers inthe islands have to be DESPERATE  (IMO)..for business, cruisers, buyers.   Desperate people do desperate ( sometimes very uglythings.    for such a purchase, given the circumstances existing today,  buy the ring at  home.

On the other hand, it could be the opposite.  Bargain.  Tourism is way down.  There are not a hundred other tourists behind you if you don't buy.  I was on a tour t Morocco in November after 9/11.  There was noone there.  We tagged one bus of Japanese.  The sellers were bargaining hard to sell.  EM

We are talking about a diamond ring for dear wife.  Do you really think you can find a top quality diamond ring with ideal cut diamonds and superb workmanship for a bargain price without any good knowledge of what to look for and abundance of shopping time?

I second sail7seas’ brilliant suggestion of buying a diamond ring from home country and then give to dear wife on the ship.  Of course, I assume there is a free inspection/good return policy in case of problems, such as 1. Wife does not like the ring design and 2. Ring does not fit.  Full Eternity rings are trickier than a solitaire or multi-stone ring that has metal in the back.  One cannot resize a full eternity ring without jeopardizing the integrity of the diamond mounting.

I find that the higher quality merchandise, the harder it is to find a bargain.  Guess it has to do with supply and demand.  Demand may be small, but supply of high quality merchandise is always limited.

One advice for all the great husbands and boyfriends - in terms of diamond jewelry, please do not surprise your significant other.  Instead, always involve her in the shopping and decision process.  If you insist on surprising her, make sure the vendor has a free return policy.

• Like 1