Cruising in 2022

mellon1

On 12/31/2020 at 8:55 PM, suekel said:

I have 2 cruises in late 2021 and I think they'll both go.  

We have one for 11/21 but it's on the Discovery and who knows if it will be finished in time?  We also have one booked for 4/22 on the Enchanted!  It will be our first time on new, Royal Class Princess ships!  All our previous Princess cruises were on the older smaller ships. Excited!!
Fingers crossed!!

On 1/1/2021 at 9:28 AM, AF-1 said:

Here is my take on cruises both for 2021/2022.  Yes the US is currently behind in vaccinating;  however,  we are getting ready to ramp up things.  Another major company AZ just got approval for the UK; and it only a matter of time before it gets approved to come to US.  Johnson & Johnson say their vaccine should be ready to go by end of Jan; with approval in Feb.  That will be four companies, and there are one or two more that are in the middle of trials.  So to answer the question;  I believe any person in the United States who wants a vaccine will be able to complete this by NLT Jul 2021.  So those of us who have cruises booked for Oct 2021 and later;  we should be good to go.  

Hope you're right!!  🤞

On 1/1/2021 at 2:31 PM, mellon1 said:

So much good information from everyone.  Each person looking at different perspectives.  Very helpful.  We are just afraid we will not be able to do the B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B cruises.  Not interested in just one 7 day cruise for us.

Thank you to all and Happy New Year to everyone and safe cruising!

Are you doing the B2Bs on the same ship or various different ship?  

Seems like it would be a lot of stress going from ship to ship to ship, etc.

On 1/3/2021 at 2:48 AM, caribill said:

People who are asymptomatic pre-vaccine can spread the disease.

It is not known yet if people who have been effectively vaccinated can spread the disease even if asymptomatic and not showing symptoms.

Lots we don't know.  
Like what about those who have already had the virus and have antibodies?  

On 1/2/2021 at 7:12 PM, mellon1 said:

This is why I love CC...it is great to get everyone's thoughts and ideas.  All very good things to consider from the replies. 

We want to cruise so bad, I would stay on the ship and not get off...but then, with everyone else getting off and not knowing what the ports are doing either.  

So much to take into consideration.  We do not want to be stuck on a cruise ship like on the Diamond, even though we will have a mini suite.  I truly hate being afraid to live our lives, but who knows what would happen if covid starts on the ship.  If everyone is vaccinated, then can we just carry on or will they pull into port and stop the cruise and we be stuck on the ship? That is the protocol for that situation?

That is more or less what happened to us on the Coral Princess last March.  Except we couldn't even stay in the port.  We just kept sailing around S. American trying to port anywhere!

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

Like what about those who have already had the virus and have antibodies?  

I was wondering earlier, what is the real number of people now that have antibodies naturally (exposed to COVID and survived). I’m not talking about how many tested positive because of having symptoms or know exposure. I’m talking about the ones that had little to no symptoms after exposure but never was tested?

I heard estimates from 4 to 10 times more then tested but I don’t know if we will ever have a accurate count. But, the point I’m trying to make is there could be a lot more people immune right now than what has/will be vaccinated in the next 6 months?? How long will immunity last is another question that likely won’t be answered for a few years.

As of now in the US, the CDC is recommending everyone get vaccinated even if you had Covid. 

10 hours ago, suzyed said:

Are you doing the B2Bs on the same ship or various different ship?  

Seems like it would be a lot of stress going from ship to ship to ship, etc.

We are doing the Caribbean Princess for the entire time.  We love the Grand Class ships and I know my way around and don't get lost after all these years!  LOL.  I hate traveling to and from and packing and unpacking, so we like to make a "home" for the time.  Plus, I usually clean "everything" in the room, as the stewards cannot possibly be expected to clean all the rooms they have in such a short time.  Then, we know all is clean.  Takes some time the first day, but well worth it to us.  So, if we can only do 7 day cruises, we aren't interested.  Our first cruise was 7 days 30 years ago and it was over before we knew it.  Plus we will be driving this year (I feel the planes are not as safe as they say, just our opinion) and it will take 2 days to get there, hubby won't let me drive (he gets too nervous when I drive!).  Even though we hate the turnaround days and having to meet like cattle and then go off the ship and back on, it still is worth it for us to do the B2Bs in our mind.  A lot of times, we will go to Walgreens or Publix and get things if the weather is good during that disembarkation time.   It is nice knowing we have more cruises coming when we see all the luggage, that is until it is our time to go home.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Still to be determined.  Do we know for certain that Princess will require guests to be vaccinated to return to sailing?  If so, I won't be able to sail for a long time, as I am not in any category that allows for early vaccination.  Current estimates have me looking at Summer.

Interesting how some companies have reacted differently...we have not missed one day of work and employ about 500 employees on a daily average...so far, about a half dozen folks have been out for a week or so because they tested positive...no others have been effected...yes, about 10% of the workforce has done work from home, but since we mostly work in a Classified environment, work from home is not doable.  Took precautions, educated the workforce, and pressed forward.  I'd say our organization is a prime example of how too mnay companies over-reacted and have crushed their businesses.  Not one employee in this organization has lost a cent over the last 10 months!  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Interesting how some companies have reacted differently...we have not missed one day of work and employ about 500 employees on a daily average...so far, about a half dozen folks have been out for a week or so because they tested positive...no others have been effected...yes, about 10% of the workforce has done work from home, but since we mostly work in a Classified environment, work from home is not doable.  Took precautions, educated the workforce, and pressed forward.  I'd say our organization is a prime example of how too mnay companies over-reacted and have crushed their businesses.  Not one employee in this organization has lost a cent over the last 10 months!  

I live in Pennsylvania. Companies were forced to over-react, or lose their business licenses. The crushing result was the same either way.

I may need to move to South Carolina.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ukbecky said:

I live in Pennsylvania. Companies were forced to over-react, or lose their business licenses. The crushing result was the same either way.

I may need to move to South Carolina.

Yeah, I feel sorry for those that lived in states run by politicians unwilling to let the business owners figure out a sensible solution.  In March we did a shut down for 2 weeks but continued to pay all employees in order to develop a plan to execute our work schedules without putting people at risk.  Safer to sit in one of our buildings than to go to the local Wal Mart.  I wish you luck...and SC is open arms for anyone that's a productive citizen...come on down!!!

• Like 1

Carnival just announced a lot of cancellations further out than March 2021. I suspect Princess will not be far behind. Time will tell.

Again, this is Carnival :

• All sailings from U.S. ports through March 31.

• Carnival Freedom's April 10 sailing from Galveston.

• Carnival Miracle's sailings from San Diego and San Francisco through Sept. 16.

• Carnival Liberty's sailings from Port Canaveral from Sept. 17 through Oct. 18.

• Carnival Sunshine's sailings from Charleston from Oct. 11 through Nov. 13.

• Carnival Spirit's 15-day voyage from Singapore to Brisbane set to depart June 12.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

as Princess had previously done...

j/s

I suspect that Carnival is in the process of choosing which ships & sailings they intend to get ready to start a return to cruising.  The CDC has expensive and onerous requirements to get a Conditional Sailing Order and their requirements do not reflect the current environment vis a vis Covid-19 vaccinations.  Carnival is smart to wait and see by only spending the time and effort to meet an already outdated CDC Framework on a few vessels.  An additional factor is the age demographic for Carnival and the availability for vaccines for that age demographic.  JMHO

• Like 1

12 hours ago, beach_fever_4ever said:

Carnival just announced a lot of cancellations further out than March 2021. I suspect Princess will not be far behind. Time will tell.

Again, this is Carnival :

• All sailings from U.S. ports through March 31.

• Carnival Freedom's April 10 sailing from Galveston.

• Carnival Miracle's sailings from San Diego and San Francisco through Sept. 16.

• Carnival Liberty's sailings from Port Canaveral from Sept. 17 through Oct. 18.

• Carnival Sunshine's sailings from Charleston from Oct. 11 through Nov. 13.

• Carnival Spirit's 15-day voyage from Singapore to Brisbane set to depart June 12.

Wow, I wonder why those specific Carnival ships are cancelled so far out?  I don't know a thing about them but November is already being canceled?  I hope it's more to do with scheduling than concern about being able to cruise safely.   I wouldn't be surprised if this drags this long, but I am surprised that they are committing to canceling so far out there.

On 1/4/2021 at 3:50 PM, Steelers36 said:

Yup, there's a family gathering story - not strangers.  You never know where it might happen.

I hear that you're in Florida with our American friends. How's the sun?

Any chance that the political chaos might spread? Let us know if the cruise industry becomes a target. I'm not comfortable booking a USA cruise till 2022.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

I hear that you're in Florida with our American friends. How's the sun?

Any chance that the political chaos might spread? Let us know if the cruise industry becomes a target. I'm not comfortable booking a USA cruise till 2022.

The sun is nice.  Temps are cooler this month than last January.  But any winter day in south FL is better than a winter day at home.  It's great weather for golfing.  The beach can wait until later.

There is no chaos around here.  Life is pretty normal.  No constant bombardment from politicians and health folks.  People wear masks indoors for shopping and such.  

As I have posted before, my only concern about cruising this year is whether the on-board and in-port experiences will be normal enough to be interested in going.  We don't know yet if Fall 2021 cruise ports will accept passengers. 

I think 2022 will be much better all round. 

• Like 2

We booked a T/A on Sky for March 2022 with the idea that the cruise lines and countries/ports will have things figured out by then.  Looking at a westbound T/A for Fall 2022.

Managed to obtain vaccinations on Thursday (we are 76 and 79).  Not easy.  Florida's management of vaccine distribution and getting it into the arm is really really bad - politicians involved.  We had to travel to an adjacent country and wait in a long line - twice.  Our county still showing no availability on its website.  Second time was the charm.  Pfizer.  Spouse was in tears.  Not sure how the booster at 3-weeks will go with this process.

I expect vaccines will be required for international travel as well as a current negative test.  Airports are ramping up to do just that.  Also expect to keep wearing PPE, possible on the cruise.  Not a problem as that keeps everyone safer.  Flying is the greater challenge - one way back.  Need to find point-to-point air routing.  Have no interest in staying in UK (Sky TA ends in Southampton) with its COVID and Brexit challenges.  Maybe a few days in Paris or along the Med.

Stay safe!

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2020 at 5:42 PM, mellon1 said:

I value everyone's opinion on the board and wondered what everyone's thoughts are.  We have 6 B2B cruises doing the Caribbean starting 1/16/22 and are hoping we will be able to go.  As much as we hate to drive instead of fly, think we will drive to avoid the plane.   What do you think the chances are of us being able to go and do the back to backs?  We plan on getting the vaccine when we our turn comes around.

If it works out, we will be on the Caribbean Princess with you for your last week (Feb 20 sailing!)

3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Managed to obtain vaccinations on Thursday (we are 76 and 79).  Not easy.  Florida's management of vaccine distribution and getting it into the arm is really really bad - politicians involved.  We had to travel to an adjacent country and wait in a long line - twice.  Our county still showing no availability on its website.  Second time was the charm.  

I'm just curious - Where else in the world do you think you would have gotten the vaccine at this early date?  I don't know of any other place currently vaccinating anyone over 65 without any conditions placed on them.  We are just patiently waiting our turn.  The Cleveland Clinic Hospitals in Florida are only vaccinating their own prior customers with a vaccine I paid for...  So the health experts aren't doing such a fair job either.

P.S. Did you travel all the way to an adjacent country or just the county next door?

36 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I'm just curious - Where else in the world do you think you would have gotten the vaccine at this early date?  I don't know of any other place currently vaccinating anyone over 65 without any conditions placed on them.  We are just patiently waiting our turn.  The Cleveland Clinic Hospitals in Florida are only vaccinating their own prior customers with a vaccine I paid for...  So the health experts aren't doing such a fair job either.

P.S. Did you travel all the way to an adjacent country or just the county next door?

Don't really understand the question.  The US is one of the slowest countries in vaccinating its citizens.  I think Israel has achieved 13 percent of its population - the US is at a little over 2 percent.  That is shameful.  The stated goal was 20 million people by the end of 2021 - 6 million have received the vaccination out of over 20 million doses available.  Another 20 million will be distributed next week, however, getting it into arms remains the challenge.  And its not like we didn't know this was coming...

Countries with a national health service are doing much better getting the vaccine administered.  The SU does not enjoy a national health service.  In Florida, the governor decide to not adhere to CDC guidance and selected his own priorities.  Two days ago because of the slowness he finally agreed to let pharmacies and grocery stores with pharmacies begin giving inoculations.  Except that the allocations to these facilities, who give annual influenza prophylaxes to citizens, was minimal.  Maybe next week...

IRT you question, two countries over.  Yet that is closer to where we live than the one location for this 550,000 population county identified as providing inoculations.  ONE  location!

8 hours ago, Daniel A said:

7 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Don't really understand the question.

Refer to your original post

12 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Managed to obtain vaccinations on Thursday (we are 76 and 79).  Not easy.  Florida's management of vaccine distribution and getting it into the arm is really really bad - politicians involved.  We had to travel to an adjacent country and wait in a long line - twice.  Our county still showing no availability on its website.  Second time was the charm.  Pfizer.  Spouse was in tears.  Not sure how the booster at 3-weeks will go with this process.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The sun is nice.  Temps are cooler this month than last January.  But any winter day in south FL is better than a winter day at home.  It's great weather for golfing.  The beach can wait until later.

There is no chaos around here.  Life is pretty normal.  No constant bombardment from politicians and health folks.  People wear masks indoors for shopping and such.  

As I have posted before, my only concern about cruising this year is whether the on-board and in-port experiences will be normal enough to be interested in going.  We don't know yet if Fall 2021 cruise ports will accept passengers. 

I think 2022 will be much better all round. 

Agree!

20 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Florida's management of vaccine distribution and getting it into the arm is really really bad - politicians involved.  

I hope this will make you feel a little better about your state's vaccination program.  According to a Time magazine article updated today, there are only 10 states with higher vaccination rates than Florida's.  (5 states didn't report their figures so were not included.)  The state with the highest rate was West Virginia with 4.9% of their population vaccinated and the state with the lowest rate was Alabama with 0.9% vaccinated.  (New York is in close competition with Alabama with only 1% vaccinated - second lowest.)  Florida has 2.6% vaccinated.

You can look up each state here:

COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker: Updates on When You Will Get a Coronavirus Vaccine | TIME

• Like 1