Cruising in 2022

mellon1

I value everyone's opinion on the board and wondered what everyone's thoughts are.  We have 6 B2B cruises doing the Caribbean starting 1/16/22 and are hoping we will be able to go.  As much as we hate to drive instead of fly, think we will drive to avoid the plane.   What do you think the chances are of us being able to go and do the back to backs?  We plan on getting the vaccine when we our turn comes around.

• Like 1

I'd say it's a go.  I'm hopeful for most that want to be vaccinated to be so by the beginning of the fourth quarter of '21.  That should make early '22 cruises likely.  I have an 8 day New Year scheduled for December '21.  I'm more concerned the Discovery won't be ready on time then the length or COVID will stop the cruise.

My thoughts are if the cruise lines are not back up & operating into the later part of 2021, will they be financially viable in 2022 - sure hope so, but..... 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
Happy 2021 to all. 🙂

Vicki.

We also booked a b2b in Jan 2022. When we booked a month ago, I thought most in US would be vaccinated by end of summer 2021. Now, no way the US will have even half the population vaccinated by end of 2021 at the current rate. A total CF going from fed to state then to counties then to local businesses to administer.  Plan was to have 40 million vaccinated by today and we are at less than 3 million. 

I try to be a glass half full kind of guy but, doing a million vaccines a week for 330 million people is not looking good at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

We also booked a b2b in Jan 2022. When we booked a month ago, I thought most in US would be vaccinated by end of summer 2021. Now, no way the US will have even half the population vaccinated by end of 2021 at the current rate. A total CF going from fed to state then to counties then to local businesses to administer.  Plan was to have 40 million vaccinated by today and we are at less than 3 million. 

I try to be a glass half full kind of guy but, doing a million vaccines a week for 330 million people is not looking good at all.

Hopefully it will pick up once the Astrazenica vaccine is approved, no refrigeration needed.

We are booked on a b2b in Feb/March 2022. Think the chances are 50/50. We don't want to go on a cruise that has protocols that will effect the enjoyment. Will make the decision before final payment date. We will get vaccinated. Have read on the PA health site that details regarding vaccination locations and priority will be available after January 6th. We too are waiting.

Here is my take on cruises both for 2021/2022.  Yes the US is currently behind in vaccinating;  however,  we are getting ready to ramp up things.  Another major company AZ just got approval for the UK; and it only a matter of time before it gets approved to come to US.  Johnson & Johnson say their vaccine should be ready to go by end of Jan; with approval in Feb.  That will be four companies, and there are one or two more that are in the middle of trials.  So to answer the question;  I believe any person in the United States who wants a vaccine will be able to complete this by NLT Jul 2021.  So those of us who have cruises booked for Oct 2021 and later;  we should be good to go.  

• Like 5

2022 should be okay. I'm eyeing a 14D cruise out of Miami for January 2022.

That said, I'm not booking a cruise out of the States until this summer. I'll be watching to see how many Americans vaccinate. For the scientists to confirm the efficacy of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

Don't forget, the Pfizer and Moderna trials were a test of how many people were protected from covid symptoms. Did not demonstrate that 90% of the participants were protected from infection.

Means that there could be many infectious asymptomatic people. The AstraZeneca vaccine does test for infection, and their trial only had a 62% success rate.

IMO, a low vax rate (70%) means that some countries will remain high risk for endemic outbreaks. Possible disruptions from lockdowns. Possible risk onboard the ship.

So much good information from everyone.  Each person looking at different perspectives.  Very helpful.  We are just afraid we will not be able to do the B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B cruises.  Not interested in just one 7 day cruise for us.

Thank you to all and Happy New Year to everyone and safe cruising!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Booked for a ten day for January  2022 , hoping that cruises  will sailing by then.To all those who have cruises booked  for 2021 ,I hope they sail and that you have a wonderful  cruise .

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

2022 should be okay. I'm eyeing a 14D cruise out of Miami for January 2022.

That said, I'm not booking a cruise out of the States until this summer. I'll be watching to see how many Americans vaccinate. For the scientists to confirm the efficacy of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

Don't forget, the Pfizer and Moderna trials were a test of how many people were protected from covid symptoms. Did not demonstrate that 90% of the participants were protected from infection.

Means that there could be many infectious asymptomatic people. The AstraZeneca vaccine does test for infection, and their trial only had a 62% success rate.

IMO, a low vax rate (70%) means that some countries will remain high risk for endemic outbreaks. Possible disruptions from lockdowns. Possible risk onboard the ship.

Something to consider.  You are postulating that there could be many infectious asymptomatic people.  If the vaccine prevents/protects from COVID-19 symptoms (IOW, bad things happening to the body), then who cares if people are "infected"?  The virus may be around, but it can't do anything. 

True, if people choose not to get vaccinated, the virus may live on much like the flu virus.  No one really knows, but cup half full here. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Something to consider.  You are postulating that there could be many infectious asymptomatic people.  If the vaccine prevents/protects from COVID-19 symptoms (IOW, bad things happening to the body), then who cares if people are "infected"?  The virus may be around, but it can't do anything. 

Well, to the people who got the 95% vaccine you are correct. The issue is that there will be countries that will not have been fully vaccinated. Most countries (not all sadly) will not allow any cruise ship to dock in their ports until their citizens are vaccinated.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Well, to the people who got the 95% vaccine you are correct. The issue is that there will be countries that will not have been fully vaccinated. Most countries (not all sadly) will not allow any cruise ship to dock in their ports until their citizens are vaccinated.

Although I was writing about people on a cruise ship, you have hit upon a very key item.  If the ports and countries that Princess is planning to call on are not ready to receive visitors, then it ruins the voyage IMO.  This is our concern for our next planned voyage which is this Fall in the Med and Adriatic area.

• Like 2

This is why I love CC...it is great to get everyone's thoughts and ideas.  All very good things to consider from the replies. 

We want to cruise so bad, I would stay on the ship and not get off...but then, with everyone else getting off and not knowing what the ports are doing either.  

So much to take into consideration.  We do not want to be stuck on a cruise ship like on the Diamond, even though we will have a mini suite.  I truly hate being afraid to live our lives, but who knows what would happen if covid starts on the ship.  If everyone is vaccinated, then can we just carry on or will they pull into port and stop the cruise and we be stuck on the ship? That is the protocol for that situation?

Except for a 3 day break, we have cruises booked from De 1/21 to mid April 22  I feel if the vaccine rollout goes well, then we should be in good shape to travel.  

Lots of time before final payments so won't worry about it for a few months. 

BUT if no cruising or limited cruising by end of 2021, then some/all of the lines will be in major risk of going belly up. 

4 hours ago, mellon1 said:

This is why I love CC...it is great to get everyone's thoughts and ideas.  All very good things to consider from the replies. 

We want to cruise so bad, I would stay on the ship and not get off...but then, with everyone else getting off and not knowing what the ports are doing either.  

So much to take into consideration.  We do not want to be stuck on a cruise ship like on the Diamond, even though we will have a mini suite.  I truly hate being afraid to live our lives, but who knows what would happen if covid starts on the ship.  If everyone is vaccinated, then can we just carry on or will they pull into port and stop the cruise and we be stuck on the ship? That is the protocol for that situation?

As you say, it’s good to be open minded about how this will develop. You can see everything is linked together with the vaccines. Where we booked to cruise to, Australia and New Zealand, they will not open up to cruises until their vaccines are completed (per quotes I read from their government). So, We hoped Jan 2022 was enough time. I don’t have the same hope now but maybe the US can get their act together because we have to do more than a million vaccines a day to be complete by the end of 2021. We haven’t been able to do more than a million a week yet

18 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

People who are asymptomatic pre-vaccine can spread the disease.

It is not known yet if people who have been effectively vaccinated can spread the disease even if asymptomatic and not showing symptoms.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

If the vaccine prevents/protects from COVID-19 symptoms (IOW, bad things happening to the body), then who cares if people are "infected"?  The virus may be around, but it can't do anything. 

That's not how it works. Pre-symptomatic and some truly .asymptomatic people are infectious. You only need one to infect half a room, a congregation, a workplace. Just one to pass it onward to complete strangers on a bus and at a nightclub.

IMO, the same problem will occur with the vaccinations. People drop their guard, and outbreaks occur. Could have outbreaks up to the end of 2021. Possibly into the winter of 2021/2.

How's the situation in GTA? I would imagine that the very same thing is driving the weekly new highs?

8 hours ago, AZjohn said:

As you say, it’s good to be open minded about how this will develop. You can see everything is linked together with the vaccines. Where we booked to cruise to, Australia and New Zealand, they will not open up to cruises until their vaccines are completed (per quotes I read from their government). So, We hoped Jan 2022 was enough time. I don’t have the same hope now but maybe the US can get their act together because we have to do more than a million vaccines a day to be complete by the end of 2021. We haven’t been able to do more than a million a week yet

I had hubby do the math and he said at that rate it won't be done either.  He told me not to worry about it because there is nothing I can do about it.  No one know enough about this virus and we are lucky to have a vaccine in such short of time.  Everyone will appreciate even more their cruises once they start up again for sure.  I know it is the one thing we do that we enjoy.

3 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

That's not how it works. Pre-symptomatic and some truly .asymptomatic people are infectious. You only need one to infect half a room, a congregation, a workplace. Just one to pass it onward to complete strangers on a bus and at a nightclub.

IMO, the same problem will occur with the vaccinations. People drop their guard, and outbreaks occur. Could have outbreaks up to the end of 2021. Possibly into the winter of 2021/2.

How's the situation in GTA? I would imagine that the very same thing is driving the weekly new highs?

I have to agree.  A lot of people will get too confident and well...like you said.  Think about it you can't get people to behave at the buffets and wash their hands.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

People who are asymptomatic pre-vaccine can spread the disease.

It is not known yet if people who have been effectively vaccinated can spread the disease even if asymptomatic and not showing symptoms.

My niece's family all had it and doc said the virus works behind the scenes attacking you inside.  Wondered if you are showing no signs and it is doing damage we don't know about.  Too much we don't know and the doctors don't know either.  Now there is a new strain even more contagious.