Baltic cruise in May 2022. Pre-cruise in Copenhagen.

Hubby and I are sailing on the Voyager of the Seas May 2022.  We will be there 2-3 days ahead.I have a few pre-cruise questions:

Pier Royal Caribbean usually sails from?

What hotel should we look at? I have looked at Tivoli Hotel, but not sure. 

What not to miss? I know I want to do a canal ride. And the Tivoli gardens. 

Thank you for the help : )

Copenhagen is nice and easy for ‘DIY’ - canal tour is a must and Tivoli Garden must be visited in the evening - if you want to have a dinner in Tivoli Garden you must book a table.
You can also visit ‘Runde Tårn’ and Rosenborg Castle and see the change of the guard at Amalienborg Castle (Royal Castle) at noon. Also Kastellet, The Little Mermaid and Langelinie.
Another option is the castles in North Zealand - Hamlet's castle Kronborg in Elsinore and Frederiksborg Castle in Hillerød - can be reached by train in one day - also Fredensborg Castle but not so easy to get to. Also many museums like Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek and Thorvaldsen's museum.
Tivoli Hotel is 1.5 km from the city center - Marriott is a little closer.  Other options in the center are Villa Copenhagen, Plaza, and Radisson Royal.
 Cruise terminal is ‘Ocean Kaj’ north of Copenhagen - take a public bus or taxi.

You can also find very useful information in this Topic:

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Cruise terminal is ‘Ocean Kaj’ north of Copenhagen - take a public bus or taxi

Just a reminder that the Metro (M4) is now running to Ocean Kaj, which makes for a simpler transfer to the city centre.

6 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Just a reminder that the Metro (M4) is now running to Ocean Kaj, which makes for a simpler transfer to the city centre.

Unfortunately not - M4 is currently only running to Orientkaj - still 3 km from Orientkaj to Ocean Kaj by bus. 

3 hours ago, hallasm said:

Unfortunately not - M4 is currently only running to Orientkaj - still 3 km from Orientkaj to Ocean Kaj by bus. 

According to Google Maps, it is walkable in 32 minutes (2.6km).  Can we take bus #64 from Oceankaj to Orientkaj to catch the M4?

Thanks in advance.

44 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

According to Google Maps, it is walkable in 32 minutes (2.6km).  Can we take bus #64 from Oceankaj to Orientkaj to catch the M4?

Thanks in advance.

Walking distance depends on which terminal. Bus stop at terminal 1.

Previously Oceankaj was served by bus #25 and #27 - currently no service due to season and COVID-19. I assume that both services will resume once cruises are back.

Bus Stop close to Orientkaj Metro station.

Alternative to the Metro is Østerport Station with S-train as well as Regional train service directly to Central Station and the airport.

14 hours ago, hallasm said:

Copenhagen is nice and easy for ‘DIY’ - canal tour is a must and Tivoli Garden must be visited in the evening - if you want to have a dinner in Tivoli Garden you must book a table.
You can also visit ‘Runde Tårn’ and Rosenborg Castle and see the change of the guard at Amalienborg Castle (Royal Castle) at noon. Also Kastellet, The Little Mermaid and Langelinie.
Another option is the castles in North Zealand - Hamlet's castle Kronborg in Elsinore and Frederiksborg Castle in Hillerød - can be reached by train in one day - also Fredensborg Castle but not so easy to get to. Also many museums like Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek and Thorvaldsen's museum.
Tivoli Hotel is 1.5 km from the city center - Marriott is a little closer.  Other options in the center are Villa Copenhagen, Plaza, and Radisson Royal.
 Cruise terminal is ‘Ocean Kaj’ north of Copenhagen - take a public bus or taxi.

You can also find very useful information in this Topic:

Thank you so much! I have a question on sour beer. I found a place that has it on a trip sight.  I am curious if this is something other places would have or not. I am beer lover and of sour beers especially. 

12 hours ago, NancyIL said:

Hotel Bethel in Nyhavn was great. We are staying in an Airbnb before our cruise next August.

Be sure to get the Copenhagen Card for your sightseeing and transportation: https://copenhagencard.com

I really appreciate this card information. I will definitely be purchasing one for each of us. Also I will check out Hotel Bethel.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jrmende63 said:

am beer lover and of sour beers especially. 

For a beer lover, you have come to the right place.  Copenhagen is full of breweries, including lots of independent microbreweries that have entered the scene in recent years. This is a list with the most popularitet Beer breweries and bars. a kind of ranking, but tastes are different:

Mikkeller & Friends, Stefansgade 35, 2200 Copenhagen

Taphouse, Lavendelstræde 15, 1462 Copenhagen 

Brus, Guldbergsgade 29 F, 2200 Copenhagen

Mikkeller Bar, Viktoriagade 8 B-C, 1655 Copenhagen 

Fermentoren, Halmtorvet 29 C, 1700 Copenhagen

Koelschip, ‪Stefansgade 35, 2200 Copenhagen‬

Nørrebro Bryghus, Ryesgade 3, 220 Copenhagen

Vesterbro Bryghus, Vesterbrogade 2B, 1620 Copenhagen

• Like 3

We had 2 days there pre-cruise.  We stayed at the Scandic Palace, which is at the beginning of the Stroget, the large pedestrian zone that runs thru the main center of town, and which is right across from Tivoli and a block from the train station.  We did the free walking tour the first morning, which was a great way to get familiarized with the area. Agree Tivoli at night is beautiful.

16 hours ago, hallasm said:

For a beer lover, you have come to the right place.  Copenhagen is full of breweries, including lots of independent microbreweries that have entered the scene in recent years. This is a list with the most popularitet Beer breweries and bars. a kind of ranking, but tastes are different:

Mikkeller & Friends, Stefansgade 35, 2200 Copenhagen

Taphouse, Lavendelstræde 15, 1462 Copenhagen 

Brus, Guldbergsgade 29 F, 2200 Copenhagen

Mikkeller Bar, Viktoriagade 8 B-C, 1655 Copenhagen 

Fermentoren, Halmtorvet 29 C, 1700 Copenhagen

Koelschip, ‪Stefansgade 35, 2200 Copenhagen‬

Nørrebro Bryghus, Ryesgade 3, 220 Copenhagen

Vesterbro Bryghus, Vesterbrogade 2B, 1620 Copenhagen

the one that is bolded is the one that has the sour beers. I am seriously considering staying at Comwell Copenhagen Portside so I can see the ship come into port. Also I see on the maps that the subway/ train is right beside the Hotel. ( I know the hotel is under construction, but I won't need it until May2022). Would it be hard  to get to any of these breweries? Especially, Mikkeller and Friends? Via the train/ subway? Or should we take a taxi?

On 1/2/2021 at 6:13 AM, hallasm said:

Orientkaj is where Cromwell Copenhagen Portside is located . Is it safe to walk to Ocean Kaj from the hotel?

And off topic, I read your Northern lights blog. I loved it.

6 hours ago, jrmende63 said:

Comwell Copenhagen Portside so I can see the ship come into port.

It will not be possible to see ship arriving from the hotel - The hotel is at Orientkaj- 3 km from the cruise terminal at Oceankaj.

6 hours ago, jrmende63 said:

Would it be hard  to get to any of these breweries? Especially, Mikkeller and Friends? Via the train/ subway?

You can take the Metro - need a change to M3 at Østerport Station.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2021 at 4:51 AM, NancyIL said:

Hotel Bethel in Nyhavn was great. We are staying in an Airbnb before our cruise next August.

Be sure to get the Copenhagen Card for your sightseeing and transportation: https://copenhagencard.com

Here's a second (or third or ?) vote for the Hotel Bethel! We've stayed there 3 times; twice pre-cruise and once for a land-based trip. Lovely, clean, friendly staff, a FANTASTIC continental breakfast buffet included in your price (I honestly have a picture of one breakfast-plate-full on my screen saver and it never fails to make me smile), and right in the middle of Nyhavn. No a/c, but I really don't think you'll need it in May. The corner rooms are nice in the summer, as you can open windows on both sides and get a nice cross breeze. We love the Bethel and really hope to return some day. Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 2:10 AM, hallasm said:

<snip>

Just wanted to mention that Danish Viking was heaven-sent for information and so patient with us on our first visit to Copenhagen. A serious wealth of great information!!

Whups, should have put that here: Just wanted to mention that Danish Viking was heaven-sent for information and so patient with us on our first visit to Copenhagen. A serious wealth of great information!!

Edited by CruiseMGM
Fixed!

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Can you see the northern lights in May?

No chances in May
At no time is it possible to see the northern lights in Copenhagen.  You have to go much further north - within the Arctic Circle.  
Northern Norway and Iceland are good opportunities, but it is too bright at night in May. 
The Northern Lights can be seen near dark from September to early April

I have a blog with one of my ‘Northern Lights cruises’ in Norway