The Daily for Sunday Jan 3, 2021

richwmn

For those who are wondering; those elevator floor mats with the days of the week on them get cleaned on a regular basis (every morning at 0200 hrs) by a member of the ship's Housekeeping Dept. and that takes place in the A-Deck marshaling area (the same area mid-ships on the ship where your luggage as well as the pilot comes in, and goes out).

Parked in that same marshaling area are the ship's forklift trucks (usually up to three on the "R"-class, like here on Amsterdam; more on the larger class ships) used to haul metal cages filled with guest luggage and/or stores. For obvious reasons, these forklifts do not run on gas engines (think exhaust fumes) but on electricity.

Lastly, there are strict rules as to who can operate the forklifts and those operators have to attend and pass a driver course. Folks like the provision master and his (no hers yet) staff and the assistant housekeepers (definitely females in that position, so forklift drivers) are some of the drivers. In port however, no one/no ship's staff can operate them to take on/take off luggage. That is the strict prerogative/job of the longshoremen, a "gang" (real word) of them come on board in the AM and are usually the last "visitors" off before the ship sails later that day.  

042.JPG

001.JPG

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 65 Gator said:

Very normal.  Device has to process the computer data stream and convert it back to audio...  I run into this all the time converting different video codecs  and adjusting playback speeds...

I wonder if that's how the Echo was named or a happy coincidence.

Roy

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, dfish said:

Well, if it was truly lost, it would have ended up at Unclaimed Baggage somewhere in Georgia.  I scoured their website for months looking for the quilt to buy it back, but no such luck.  I just made her another one.

Scottsboro Alabama and I have been there.we didn’t find any treasures when we were there but lots and lots of stuff!

• Like 6

Amsterdam arriving at sunrise in Lautoka, Fiji. Lots of activity on the bridge as the normal complement of two watch officers/navigators and two quartermasters is increased with the captain, staff captain, a local pilot, and additional navigators as needed. In addition, you will have an anchor party, led by a navigation/deck officer, on the forward mooring deck, a similar party on the aft mooring deck, and the security officer and his staff in the gangway area and at times (to ensure there are no bollards in the way) at some of the other break doors, i.e. marshalling area, provision breaks, etc. All will communicate with the captain or staff captain (depending on who's doing the parking of the ship) via portable radio so radio discipline is a given and a must. All these staff members are necessary to ensure the ship's safe arrival in ports of call 

7052.JPG

7053.JPG

7054.JPG

7055.JPG

7056.JPG

7058.JPG

7059.JPG

7060.JPG

7064.JPG

DSC02380.jpg

DSC02386.jpg

• Like 16

43 minutes ago, dfish said:

Well, if it was truly lost, it would have ended up at Unclaimed Baggage somewhere in Georgia.  I scoured their website for months looking for the quilt to buy it back, but no such luck.  I just made her another one.

I am so sorry Debbie.  In my mind, I know you are right.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, dfish said:

I had made a lovely quilt for her for Christmas.  It was a double bed sized quilt.  She put it in her new suitcase for her trip back to France, where she was living at the time.   She arrived, but the suitcase never did.   Air France said they were sorry about the blanket.  The suitcase never showed up, but I am sure that quilt is on someone's bed.  

That is so sad.  All your hard work and someone wasn’t honest enough to return it.

So sad. So much work and love into these things and whomever ended up with it should be hanging their head in shame as it wasn’t meant for them.  Sorry, I don’t mean to be nasty but I hate it when people take things that aren’t theirs - especially when they can see the work that went into them.

• Like 10

Ready for the grandkids start their online schooling tomorrow.  Computer is set up, pencils sharpened, white boards cleaned!!  

Only time my luggage didn't arrive was in Singapore.  My DH had arrived.  Mine was found and was supposed to be on the next plane in and would be delivered to our hotel that evening. We were staying near a mall so I wandered through it looking for possible items I could buy if need be.  But by the evening, my suitcase had arrived and I was much relieved.  When traveling for work to South America, my DH has had  delayed luggage issues...once someone even opened his suitcase and removed several shirts.  Hope they fit!!    But none of this has stopped us from traveling.  

Acorn squash is our favorite.  We stuff it with ground turkey, corn, black beans, tomatoes, and taco seasoning.  Topped with a little cheese.  I may have to go to the store to find one!!  

Thanks for all the pictures and the daily report.  

Stay well and safe...wear your masks.  

• Like 13

I don’t know who had the most nerve-wracking luggage problems, but here is sympathy to all who have had them. I have had cruise luggage delayed for several days on the way to the port. That is nothing compared to the “adventures” of others. 
i am enjoying all the photos of Antarctica and of the bridge which we don’t get to visit. It is interesting to learn details of some of the ship operations.

• Like 12

gee whiz I   learned so much today from you all. I knew of Epiphany but date escaped me, sorry lapsed catholic here.  copper 10-8 I am learning so much about the workings of the ships from your post and I thank you. i would like to know where those coins are on the ship? I am excited to be on a brand new ship (hopefully in september) and plan to find them, sort of like a treasure hunt. thanks to all the posters who put up pictures of the sleepy baby animals and the cartoons, what a laugh I had.  lazy boring day today just unboxed a puzzle to do and we will see how long it takes me to finish.  As i said before this is a calm, restful and peaceful place to visit, if you dont believe me go to the celebrity site and listen to everyone moaning and groaning about should the crew get shots before before people on land!!!! wow, just wow.   I’ll stay here.    stay safe everyone.       Linda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the daily reports, photos and humour.

It's a pleasant sunny day.

The only luggage problem we have had, was that a fellow passenger took one of our suitcases by mistake from the airport luggage carousal.  Ours was returned to us, nothing missing.

Since then always have colourful ribbons tied  on the handles.

The government has decided that all travellers from the UK and USA will need to have a negative covid test before departing to New Zealand.  The pre-departure rules will come into effect from 15 January.

Six positive cases of the more contagious UK virus strain heve been discoverd during routine surveillance testing of people in border hotel isolation.  They have been transferred to the Auckland quarantine facility.

Stay well and safe everyone.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, superoma said:

Scottsboro Alabama and I have been there.we didn’t find any treasures when we were there but lots and lots of stuff!

That's right!   I thought about jumping in the car and driving down there, but I'm glad I didn't.  The new quilt I made for her was prettier.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, zigdilcru said:

gee whiz I   learned so much today from you all. I knew of Epiphany but date escaped me, sorry lapsed catholic here.  copper 10-8 I am learning so much about the workings of the ships from your post and I thank you. i would like to know where those coins are on the ship? I am excited to be on a brand new ship (hopefully in september) and plan to find them, sort of like a treasure hunt. ....................................................................

Linda, in order to find Rotterdam VII's "coin in the mast" you will have to go to the highest deck forward, Deck 12, which s known as the Observation Deck. From the "Retreat" area (behind the Crow's Nest/Explorations Central, you should be able to find a set  of stairs on the starboard (right) side forward (you're outside now) which you will need to climb and which will take you to the main mast of the ship.

The coin (actually two Dutch guilders, since both sides are visible) are welded in the front of said mast, behind glass in a little window. Enjoy and have a great time! (the attached pics show both Rotterdam VII as well as Nieuw Statendam's coins with their "Madrinas:"  Executive Director of Cruise Port Rotterdam, May Elmar for Rotterdam VII and HAL Presidents Club member Anne Marie Bartels for Nieuw Statendam)

mai and coins

TALRotterdamCoin.jpg?u.yBd5Jn9GpJo2.zJXAG46FLRE66k85X&itok=lq0QJwzm

The coins are welded to the hull. Two thumbs up!

NSDM_CoinHERO.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is my last ever from the deck of MS Ryndam.  January 3, 2015 was our final sea day before disembarking in Tampa.

dawn0103.jpg

Roy

I took her last voyage, Venice to Singapore. The Ryndam still remains my #1. I guess that the new Ryndam will be really big. Happy New Year from Frederick. I’m hoping to sail back to the Med in April.

• Like 9

First, my apologies for the typos in my earlier post.

After reading everyone’s luggage mishaps, ours does not seem so bad.  DH had swim trunks with a matching top that he could wear, and I found a couple of short one piece jumpers in the first port.  The purser offered to have our travel clothes cleaned and returned in time for dinner (a formal night of course).

Well 5 pm came and no clean clothes.  Our cabin steward told us the laundry was closed and we’d get our clothes the next day.  We immediately found the Purser to ask about our clothes.  Something made be open my big mouth and tell him if we didn’t get our clothes, we were coming to dinner in what we had on. 👿  The clothes beat us back to the cabin, but by then first seating had started.  This was in 1987, so no  alternative dining.

A little later the maitre d’ knocked on the door offering to serve us dinner in the cabin, but strongly encouraged us to come to second seating where he would have a table for us.  We were glad we decided to go to the dining room. 

One woman offered to lend me a dress, which would have been interesting as she weighed about 100 pounds more than I did.  So many passengers encouraged us and did what they could to help. 

The last weird thing of that cruise was on the last day when the cabin steward came to collect payment for the laundry service.  It was easier to pay him and then see the purser.  This was before cashless cruising.  We found the purser on a bar.  When we gave him the bill, he turned around and got the money out of the cash register.

That was when we learned “ship” happens and to just go with the flow.  Now, we can laugh about it, and I now carry some spare clothes in the carry on.

Lenda

• Like 9

7 hours ago, MaisonRose said:

I took her last voyage, Venice to Singapore. The Ryndam still remains my #1. I guess that the new Ryndam will be really big. Happy New Year from Frederick. I’m hoping to sail back to the Med in April.

Welcome to the Daily.  Unfortunately, there will be no new Ryndm, at least in the short range.  The ship nearing completion was renamed Rotterdam when Rotterdam VI was sold.  I hope you don't get ice today.

Roy

• Like 5

9 hours ago, MaisonRose said:

Welcome to posting to the Daily! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 7:06 AM, rafinmd said:

The regular celebration and shoutout list is on vacation today.  Instead, I looked back at Rich’s very first Fleet Report, done April 28, 2019.   It was one page with 14 replies

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2660577-fleet-report-for-may-5-2019/

I was in Praia da Vitoria that day on the Newuw Statendam.  At the time I didn’t know it would be my last HAL cruise for at least 2 years.

Hats off to the faithful charter members:

@richwmn
@puppycanducruise
@Krazy Kruizers (Still with us in spirit)
@DeeniEncinitas
@Rowsby 
@Cruising-along

2 more post occasionally now

@travelnap
@dobiemom

And also:

@woodworker&knitter  last posted 12/20/19
 @frankc98376 posted August 29
@retiretwo (no subsequent Fleet posts found)
@POA1  posted May 31
@joekerstef (posted 5/3/19)
@Skoogs  (posted 5/3/19)
@slimknyzer (no subsequent Fleet posts found)

Not on the first Fleet Report but very soon thereafter @erewhon@Himselfand @Vict0riann

Finally, hats off to @kazuwho filled in for Rich for a while when I presume Rich was off on a cruise,

And to the predecessors who I remember as originators of the Fleet Report @luvtwotrvl   and @Trvlcrazy  I did sail with them on the Ryndam 5 years ago.

Roy

Hello Roy,

It was very nice to meet on the Ryndam. I am so glad we had a chance to meet together will we definitely enjoyed the cruise on the Ryndam. We loved that DAM ship.

I am not as active on the boards now with increasing hours at work. I am working a lot of hours now since I work in the pharmaceutical industry.

Thank you very much for the Fleet Report!

David

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, luvtwotrvl said:

Hello Roy,

It was very nice to meet on the Ryndam. I am so glad we had a chance to meet together will we definitely enjoyed the cruise on the Ryndam. We loved that DAM ship.

I am not as active on the boards now with increasing hours at work. I am working a lot of hours now since I work in the pharmaceutical industry.

Thank you very much for the Fleet Report!

David

Welcome to the Daily.  How is @trvlcrzy doing?

Roy

• Like 1