Carnival cancels March

ALWAYS CRUZIN

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

My cousin is a mover and shaker (lawyer) in Florida and he sends me this from the state legislature just two days ago:

Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, a local government may not restrict or regulate commerce in the seaports of this state, as listed in s. 311.09, including, but not  limited to, regulating or restricting a vessel’s type or size, source or type of cargo, or number, origin, or nationality of  passengers. All such matters are expressly preempted to the state.

The elitists of the Conch Republic have not only been served with lawsuits, they have now been corralled by the state. Mardi Gras can dock there now. 

He tells me the drafters of the Key West law did not do their homework, and RCL has a couple of ships small enough to slide in there. Ding-Dong!

Two of the docking places I read are owned by the city, so the city says they can control the piers they own. Idk. I live in texas.

46 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

At this point, it's just a bill introduced by one person, Florida Senator Jim Boyd. Bills are introduced all the time, and a lot of them go nowhere. We have yet to see whether his bill has any support from others in the Florida legislature or the governor. Much to early to take it too seriously for now.

Folks can follow the progress of this bill here: https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bills/2021

Its SB 426. The Florida Senate site allows you to set up an automated tracker to alert you when new actions are taken on a bill.

2 hours ago, Cousin Eddie said:

Folks can follow the progress of this bill here: https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bills/2021

Its SB 426. The Florida Senate site allows you to set up an automated tracker to alert you when new actions are taken on a bill.

I once heard a state senator say in a speech, he spent more time in session preventing bad bills from becoming law than passing good bills. We will see how this is viewed in the State Senate. It might pass, but it also has to address the limited # of cruise passengers that can exit the ship while in the port. I do not think we will see a cruise ship in Key West this year legally or due to covid. Unfortunately, the city may have other ways to make cruisers feel unwelcome. This will be an interesting situation to watch. I have always enjoyed Key West on all my trips.

• Like 3

On 1/7/2021 at 12:47 PM, travelhound said:

My niece just went to Mexico and there were no restrictions.

Just had a friend return from AI in cabo and if you were not at the pool or on the beach masks were required. Nope..not my ideal of vacation in Cabo😟

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IDKaren said:

Just had a friend return from AI in cabo and if you were not at the pool or on the beach masks were required. Nope..not my ideal of vacation in Cabo😟

Nor mine on a cruise.  Not to mention that you can't just go off the ship and wander around on your own.  As much as we enjoy cruising, it looks like it will be a while before we take another one.

• Like 4

On 1/8/2021 at 3:41 PM, Moviela said:

My cousin is a mover and shaker (lawyer) in Florida and he sends me this from the state legislature just two days ago:

Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, a local government may not restrict or regulate commerce in the seaports of this state, as listed in s. 311.09, including, but not  limited to, regulating or restricting a vessel’s type or size, source or type of cargo, or number, origin, or nationality of  passengers. All such matters are expressly preempted to the state.

The elitists of the Conch Republic have not only been served with lawsuits, they have now been corralled by the state. Mardi Gras can dock there now. 

He tells me the drafters of the Key West law did not do their homework, and RCL has a couple of ships small enough to slide in there. Ding-Dong!

This is interesting 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 6:18 AM, RWolver672 said:

Nor mine on a cruise.  Not to mention that you can't just go off the ship and wander around on your own.  As much as we enjoy cruising, it looks like it will be a while before we take another one.

Right, that's why I rebooked Mardi Gras for late 2022, hopefully things will be sorted out by then and mask will be a thing of the past.

So Royal Caribbean just canceled through 30 April.  Is there a website with a running status of the cruise line cancellations in a nice table or something?

Makes me wonder if Carnival will let that shoe drop within the week (i.e. canceling through end of April), rather than waiting until the first week of February (which would be a month after they cancelled March).

I read an article this morning saying basically Carnival is waiting on the CDC to advise on test cruising. They speak to them weekly and are awaiting info. I think that’s why the Horizon and the likes are anchored and waiting. Perhaps after Jan 20th they will let them know or before or it could take longer. It is frustrating. 

19 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I read an article this morning saying basically Carnival is waiting on the CDC to advise on test cruising. They speak to them weekly and are awaiting info. I think that’s why the Horizon and the likes are anchored and waiting. Perhaps after Jan 20th they will let them know or before or it could take longer. It is frustrating. 

Hope they hear soon because we are ready to go!!!  Just booked a fourth cruise.  Tempted to book a fifth.  One more and we are set through 2022.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

To add to this, these test cruises must also be completed 60 days before cruising resumes. So at least we will have a good idea when cruising should resume based on when these test cruises take place. Should be about two months (or so) after test cruises. The real question is: when will these test cruises take place? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Well it frustrates me enough to fill out the form on the cdc website and request they move it along. I’m sure my one message won’t change anything, but 🤷🏼‍♀️. 🙄

Hi,

I’m a letter writer from before we all used computers. I’d say 90% of the time I got a response. Maybe I didn’t change the situation. But, yeah I felt I was writing for all the folks who didn’t. 

Here’s an example:  Stouffers USED to put their frozen Mac ‘n Cheese in non-microwaveable containers. It was a hold over from the olden days of using a oven.

Yep, I went and wrote a letter asking them to please make them microwave friendly.  We all don’t HAVE to put them in the oven anymore! 🙂😁

Maybe my letter helped .... 🤷🏻‍♀️

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

I’m a letter writer from before we all used computers. I’d say 90% of the time I got a response. Maybe I didn’t change the situation. But, yeah I felt I was writing for all the folks who didn’t. 

Here’s an example:  Stouffers USED to put their frozen Mac ‘n Cheese in non-microwaveable containers. It was a hold over from the olden days of using a oven.

Yep, I went and wrote a letter asking them to please make them microwave friendly.  We all don’t HAVE to put them in the oven anymore! 🙂😁

Maybe my letter helped .... 🤷🏻‍♀️

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

I got a response. Basically they know what’s better for me than I do. 🙄

112DF89C-2A9A-45C2-97E5-8B0D88B59939.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So Royal Caribbean just canceled through 30 April.  Is there a website with a running status of the cruise line cancellations in a nice table or something?

Makes me wonder if Carnival will let that shoe drop within the week (i.e. canceling through end of April), rather than waiting until the first week of February (which would be a month after they cancelled March).

Rcl cancelled march and april together. Carnival had already cancelled march. I expected it but still disappointed. Lost my great balcony price for april 25, 2021, out of lift and shift options. 

Next up carnival vista sept. I sure hope it goes. I figured I could get vaccinated before my april cruise and I'd feel safe to go, darn, cancelled. Tired of being cancelled.

I sure hope vista goes in sept. Got my first vaccination shot last monday. I'll be ready, hope ccl will be. Enough already with the cancellations! 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

The real question is: when will these test cruises take place? 

That is the question isnt it? The Cruise lines are like "ask your father" and the CDC is like "ask your mother"  Seems like no one mentioned to them that they are the "public health oversight" they talk about in their canned email response above.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So....  I am cruising with a family of 6.  So far, I have paid in over $3,000.  All of it paid in gift cards.. Our June 10 day to Alaska 2020 canceled.  Rebooked for 11 day to Alaska this June.  It just canceled.  So going to have to figure out what to do.  If you pay with a gift card and cancel, you get gift cards back.  So I guess I will let Carnival keep my $$ and just maybe book something else.  Maybe 3rd time will be a charm if we rebook for Alaska 10 day in 2022....

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kaylahszoo said:

So....  I am cruising with a family of 6.  So far, I have paid in over $3,000.  All of it paid in gift cards.. Our June 10 day to Alaska 2020 canceled.  Rebooked for 11 day to Alaska this June.  It just canceled.  So going to have to figure out what to do.  If you pay with a gift card and cancel, you get gift cards back.  So I guess I will let Carnival keep my $$ and just maybe book something else.  Maybe 3rd time will be a charm if we rebook for Alaska 10 day in 2022....

Carnival let people move to 2022 and 2023. It was kinda obvious alaska wasnt a go this year.

Did you try calling carnival to move to a later date? I hope you get the 10 day 2022. Good luck.

I'm waiting until 2023 for alaska. 

• Like 2