Key West?

NapTown Jim

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Actually, Key West has been (and is scheduled) to be a stop for many of the highest-end cruise lines.  Besides Oceania (we are actually booked on one of their future cruises that lists Key West as a stop) you have such high-end lines like Residensea (The World) which is arguably high end.  We were actually vacationing in KW when The World visited for a port day.  DW and I both thought it was interesting to see those folks heading back to the ship (docked very close to Mallory Square) with most weighed down with packages.  These folks were not buying T-shirts.  We have also been there when Seabourn had a vessel in port.  Keep in mind that the lines like Seabourn, Silverseas and Regent would still qualify for docking under the new restrictions (assuming those restrictions even happen).

Hank

Regulations like this would help keep these cruise companies ships full. Just another port by themselves 

4 hours ago, Indianadaytripper said:

Regulations like this would help keep these cruise companies ships full. Just another port by themselves 

If enough ports limits ship size then maybe the mainstream lines might give some thought to changing their building only ever bigger ships.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nocl said:

If enough ports limits ship size then maybe the mainstream lines might give some thought to changing their building only ever bigger ships.

One can only hope.  Having some big ships is fine as long as there are always options for smaller ships.  I think the big ships are good for families and destinations like the Caribbean.

2 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

One can only hope.  Having some big ships is fine as long as there are always options for smaller ships.  I think the big ships are good for families and destinations like the Caribbean.

Yep, but the cruise variety when it comes to ports seem to be getting smaller and smaller, the routes being more limited, and the ports much more crowded.  Getting rather mundane.

Maybe the cruise lines are just going to keep going until the ship itself is the only attraction.

Edited by nocl

2 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Even some of those Caribbean ports are getting fed up with larger ships one more reason cruise companies are making there own port destinations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nocl said:

Yep, but the cruise variety when it comes to ports seem to be getting smaller and smaller, the routes being more limited, and the ports much more crowded.  Getting rather mundane.

Maybe the cruise lines are just going to keep going until the ship itself is the only attraction.

Bingo.  I think they would be happy to confine cruises to their ships and multiple private islands.

That way they don't have to pay big docking fees, coordinate arrivals with a dozen other ships, etc.

and can keep all the revenue/profit for themselves.

8 hours ago, Roz said:

If cruising becomes just a series of sea days and private islands, I'll take a pass and pursue other vacation and travel options.

Respectfully, I disagree.  At this stage of my life, embarking a ship and enjoying the days at sea and deciding whether to go ashore at a private island or not, that suits me fine.

Yes, there are foreign destinations to which I would love to visit or re-visit.  But, again, at my stage of life, the probability of doing so is not realistic.  The mind is ready; the body says:  "really"?  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Respectfully, I disagree.  At this stage of my life, embarking a ship and enjoying the days at sea and deciding whether to go ashore at a private island or not, that suits me fine.

Yes, there are foreign destinations to which I would love to visit or re-visit.  But, again, at my stage of life, the probability of doing so is not realistic.  The mind is ready; the body says:  "really"?  

I totally relate - in the Caribbean I am content to float around and get off when I feel like it. In more exotic or interesting locations I want to get off the beaten path and meet the people and try the cuisine.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mringenoldus said:

I totally relate - in the Caribbean I am content to float around and get off when I feel like it. In more exotic or interesting locations I want to get off the beaten path and meet the people and try the cuisine.

I with you on this one.  I'm the type who cruises for a variety of reasons.  Sometimes destination, sometimes not.  Right now, a cruise in the warm Caribbean sun with only private island stops sounds like heaven to me.  

• Like 6

9 hours ago, sfocruiser said:

+1 its 5 today in Denver.   Sea days are looking pretty nice (and warm) about now

Was + 6 here yesterday in the morning. At least the wind was not blowing like the day a week or so ago that made the wind chill feel like well below zero. I say bring on global warming before we all freeze to death.

21 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I with you on this one.  I'm the type who cruises for a variety of reasons.  Sometimes destination, sometimes not.  Right now, a cruise in the warm Caribbean sun with only private island stops sounds like heaven to me.  

Thats exactly what we booked for Dec!

• Like 1