the Daily for Saturday Jan 9, 2021

richwmn

15 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  To celebrate today's special days, I'd put on my glasses and dance all the way down the aisle of an airplane if we could fly to a port and board another Dam ship!

Ah, the visual, Gerry!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

This one is for you, Rich! @richwmn just be careful to whom you show it.😎

04228D20-3B0C-4842-9DF9-E3F833B85965.jpeg

Funny you should do that today. I was working on something else and Leo jumped up on the desk and pressed some key which froze the application. I had to kill it and start that page over. Luckily I hadn't done too much.

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

54 minutes ago, Himself said:

Thanks for the prayers I get tested in an hour.  Should hacw the results next week Monday,  I feel great.  No symptoms yet, thank God,

Hope all goes well for you father and you remain symptom free.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Funny you should do that today. I was working on something else and Leo jumped up on the desk and pressed some key which froze the application. I had to kill it and start that page over. Luckily I hadn't done too much.

Just call me psychic.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Love today's quote, it is all too true.  Too soon for turkey again (I'm not the world's biggest turkey fan outside of the holidays), but I will happily sample a Tanqueray Almond. The wine sounds 🤩 but too much for casual drinking.

Roy -- I think I've seen a passing reference to these Panama rolls before, but can you enlighten me?

@StLouisCruisers  I'm sad your cruise is coming to an end, but wow, you guys racked up -- and how special it must be to have that video remembrance of the trip.

@KirkNC  Our state is in nearly as bad a fix, and we are equally doing a poor job of getting folks vaccinated. I feel your pain. 

@VMax1700 -- I love the fox in your garden. Wish I had something as interesting to watch outside my window!

• Like 13

I appreciate everyones drink and meal suggestions and I though I would share what's currently cooking/brewing on our 15 year old electric range ( hope I didn't jinx it).

Todays brew is a Pumpkin Spice Porter which I'm late brewing as it is typically brewed in the autumn to be enjoyed over the holidays. 

For the chocolate lovers, yesterday I bottled a White Chocolate Blonde Stout which will be ready to be sampled in approx.30 days.

Cheers

• Like 16

I just caught up on yesterday!

We have LG front load washer and dryer.  LOVE THEM.

Samsung refrigerator similar to the LG French door/extra drawer that many of you have.  Love the fridge EXCEPT, the ice maker died.  Fortunately, we have a small bar fridge that makes ice faster than we can use it.  And we do use a lot!

We have a Bosch dish washer that’s the best I’ve ever had.  Before the LG dryer, we had a Bosch dryer that was the worst. 🤷‍♀️

I’m a Riesling girl - like CSM, but have lately been drinking Cupcake.  

DH made a seafood pizza for supper last night that was wonderful.  He’s a good cook!

We’re going to turn off the news for a bit, and watch football instead this weekend.  The news with all the ugliness that’s been unleashed is beyond concerning.  I don’t know if there will ever be “back to normal”.

Stay safe, mask up.

• Like 14

46 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Roy -- I think I've seen a passing reference to these Panama rolls before, but can you enlighten me?

Not Roy, but the Panama rolls are served on the dam ships when you are entering the Panama Canal.  They have a filling inside and are quite good. 😉   Ours had a creme & orange filling when we had them.

Here’s the recipe courtesy of Cc member insidethecabin -  https://www.theinsidecabin.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Panama-Canal-roll-reciple045.pdf

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

We have a Bosch dish washer that’s the best I’ve ever had.

I second that.  My friend recommended the brand to me for a dishwasher (not for other appliances) and it’s the quietest dishwasher I’ve ever seen.  Love it.

• Like 6

All this Talk of appliances sent me to my files to look up some dates. What a surprise. Fridge, stove and dishwasher are 20 years old. Range hood is 30, dryer 33 and washer 34. Where does the time go? All are working well except the refrigerator which sounds like it wants to explode when it shuts down. If it does decide to quit permanently at least it is cold enough outside to store things until a new one gets delivered and I have a small chest freezer for the frozen stuff. Buying a new one will be the issue since we are in lockdown and Lowe’s, Home Depot and my favourite appliance store are online only, no in store.

• Like 12

Good morning from sunny but windy southwestern Arizona.  Like the quote.  Will pass on the meal suggestions.  Instead, it will one of leftovers from the refrigerator and wine.

Yesterday, we received an email from a friend in Australia expressing shock at Wednesday’s events in DC and several state capitals — “that it could happen in the bastion of democracy.”  There was more in the email, but could be considered bordering on the political, so I’ll stop here.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Someway I missed you all yesterday. It was a busy day with errands and I needed to send a long fax only to find my printer/fax/scanner was not cooperating. Had to go get it sent elsewhere and they had trouble with it. Took me over an hour to do a 15 minute errand..... and so the day went. Need to look into a new printer, but that is going to have to wait for a bit.... I am avoiding stores just now.

Weather here is sunny but chilly and nights are still downright cold. And we need moisture. Not optimistic about this summer. 

According to our local health providers we are due to begin level 1B which is my level for THE shots about the 15th. I am on several lists to be notified... so hopefully it will happen pretty soon. My sister is awaiting hers in Maryland. And I am getting in some appointments I had postponed.... dentist, doctor, dermatologist and eyes.... not to mention my pups headed to vet. Going to be a busy couple of weeks.

Susan

IMG_1026.JPG

• Like 15

Last night's pork roast was a success. The only problem is the size, we will need to get creative to use up all the leftovers! Tonight is probably a hot dish made from Thursday's leftover spaghetti - spaghetti pie if you will. And wine. 

Today in 2019 we were in Montego Bay, Jamaica. It was our first visit there, but none of the HAL excursions sounded all that interesting and I hadn't bothered looking into any private tours. So I thought maybe we would just walk around the town. Given the distance from the port to the town, and the horror stories we heard about really pushy vendors (and worse), we decided to stay onboard. I am not sure if we made the best decision, but it was fine since we had a brand new ship to explore. 

DSC_0615.thumb.JPG.ee4224c1b375aa243194ae48b420842a.JPG

Can you see the plane coming in for landing?

DSC_0621.thumb.JPG.96b884141ab55d03ae84bcbb80ac376d.JPG

Carnival Dream was also in port -

DSC_0624.thumb.JPG.c6599a2836f0b78a400cd12360e511bd.JPG

• Like 16

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Definitely not the expert.  As Kazu says it's a pastry that HAL puts out when their ships go through the Panama Canal.  I've been through the canal nearly 10 times but all except that one transit on the Prinsendam was on Crystal, making my experience a bit limited.  I only had one as that is pretty much my limit as a diabetic, and they  are filled rolls (I remember them as a peach taste but am a bit hazy).  Very tasty but one was actually all that would fit in my diet plan.  They remind me a bit of Portugese tarts, in taste although not in appearance.

Roy

• Like 13

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning.  I missed being here yesterday morning but there's always a lot to read all day long.  Trying to catch up in the evening takes a while!

Jan. 9 & 10, 2017 onboard Seabourn Quest

Destination Montevideo, Uruguay

January 9th was our final formal night plus we had a 6:15 pm farewell and Gala night presentation in the Grand Salon (theater).  Everyone attended and the Captain gave a very nice speech.  Then they showed us on a big screen the 30 minute video made by the husband/wife team of photographers to document this journey.  Each cabin received a copy of it in our cabins on a jump drive enclosed in a nice metal case.  It was more about the places and wildlife we saw than about the passengers and that’s the way we wanted it!  It was absolutely gorgeous and we were so thankful to have received it so that we can always look back on this incredible experience. 

Then after the film was shown to the passengers, most of the ship’s officers, Expedition Team, and a majority of the crew members on the ship marched out to the stage area of the Salon so we could see how many people it takes to run this ship.  Those who waited on us hand and foot for nearly 24 days!  I was seated on the right hand side of the stage so not the best place for photos because I got the backs and sides of the crew most of the time. Our cruise director Jan said she was afraid the ship would tilt on its aft end with the passengers and crew all in that one area!  We applauded and gave them a standing ovation before they filed out.  Many of the crew were switching out this week for new crew members.  I’m sure they were excited to see their families again and we wished them a safe journey home.enhance

enhance

When we left the Grand Salon everyone headed to the dining room.  Somehow they managed to accommodate us all and present us with a fabulous dinner.  Since we took only one photo during dinner, it’s obvious that dessert is the most important part of the meal for me.   Why can’t it be first?enhance

January 10, 2017 Arrival day in Montevideo, Uruguay

Our speed since we left the bad weather behind was about 11 knots so it felt like we’d never get there.  Our “Awesome Captain” assured us we would arrive by about 6 pm on the 10th.  We would overnight in port and have most of the day on the 11th in Montevideo. 

The temperatures had risen considerably and it had been in the upper 70’s yesterday – forecasted the same for today.  A lot of people were hanging out by the pool.  After Michelle our stewardess freshened up our room, we headed back to our suite and began the arduous process of packing everything up.  Since we had arrived on the ship we had collected many gifts and were provided with the two parkas, puffy jackets, Seabourn penguin wool caps, backpacks, plus Herald daily programs, 3 baseball caps DH purchased, my penguin pendant, chocolates, several Antarctica books, arm bands, Seabourn cruise card holders, a penguin T-shirt from Gonzalez Videla base at Waterboat Point, the wine bottle stopper given at Christmas, a key ring, even stationery with our names and suite number which they provide for everyone.  Just in case you needed to write a letter to someone while onboard 😉  The list went on and on.  It covered our king size bed!  Thank goodness our boots were rented and not coming home with us.enhance

The penguin woolen caps were my favorite!! enhance

Well somehow we managed to squeeze all of this into our 2 large and 2 medium pieces of luggage.  We used our luggage scale to make sure we spread out the weight.  After that it was time for happy hour!  Uh, I mean knitters and stitchers hour at the bar.  Same thing, right?

While seated in front of the vast expanse of windows in the Observation Bar we began the arrival process into Montevideo.enhance

The welcoming committee.enhance

Ahead we have a day in Montevideo on the 11th, then our departure from the ship in Buenos Aires on the 12th of January. 

My advice to everyone.  Do what I’m doing right now – watching repeats of “Might Cruise Ships” on the Smithsonian Channel.  It’s better than nothing!

Thanks so much for sharing!   Love the penguin toques!  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kazu said:

I know which is why I hesitated to post the number yesterday.

It’s serious business in New Brunswick.  They don’t fool around when we have cases.  Like you, we are paying the price for those that didn’t listen over the holidays.  Most did listen.  At least everyone in my bubble did.

We all agreed no get togethers inside over the holidays.  We felt it was too risky.

I think that’s why you’re doing so well!  Our friends in Brisbane had 100 days with no community spread.  They had one case this week and locked down again.  It can be done!  But half hearted measures prolong it, sadly. 

• Like 8

Morning everyone, but actually it’s afternoon already. Couldn’t sleep last night till 2am and woke to some sad news. My friend for over 62 years is in pan Florida hospital and the outlook for her is not good.  Another friend who is in Florida has a 59 year old daughter on life support in New Jersey.

And now for my conundrum. Several years ago, ingot Bells Palsy twice from flu shots spaced several years apart. As a result, I had difficulty closing my eye and had a gold weight surgically put into the eyelid to prevent cornea issues. I was told by 2 neurologists not to take flu, pneumonia, or shingles shots. Now, to the COVID vaccine . Both Phyzer and Moderna had people who got Bells Palsy during the trial. Both FDA and CDC are monitoring the vaccine for that side effect. My eye surgeon thinks I might get it again and require eye surgery again. We don’t know yet if this is a shot needed every year in which case I might need multiple eye surgeries. My NY neurologist won’t commit yet and my Philly neurologist says so far they haven’t found Bells Palsy to be a side effect and I should take the vaccine. I’ve decided to wait a bit to see if this is a side effect reported by FDA or CDC in the public receiving the shot.

DH will take the vaccine. My daughter took it yesterday and had no side effects. Her son had just a pain in his arm.

Thank you for listening. 

• Like 16