VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

10 hours ago, KroozNut said:

That was not in the fine print I last read. I'll have to go back and check again..

Bob the Chase Sapphire will protect each person (2) up to $20000  each for trip cancellation & trip interruption   plus v$1000 baggage   . Then the points gained in that purchase can be used with chase & get a 25 % bonus for things like more cruises ,planes ,car rentals  ,hotels .as long as chase deals with the vendor . The card also gets no foreign   money exchange  fees , Free Car collision insurance  on car rentals & other perks I can not remember . The biggie here is that when using this chase Sapphire Preferred Credit card to order $4000  in 3 months (say a cruise )  you get back 80000  points which is $800  & using it with chase travel you get another 25% bonus .Thus you can get  $1000 in value . That is a 25% back return  on the $4000 in purchase . .The pointsguy.com said this the best travel card out there

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

So maybe the JnJ vaccine is not worth waiting for.  A 74 year old's skin peeled off after getting the jab.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/30/mans-skin-peeled-off-in-reaction-to-johnson-johnson-covid-vax/

I have a friend that ended up in the hospital for 3 days with a similar reaction due to an arthritis drug in the NSAID family. Very frightening but thankfully very rare reaction. 

Edited by fatcat04

44 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

One case in how many shots ?  Not worth the worry nor time to check into it   .We still wait on the JnJ vaccine to be here in  April or vMay .JnJ is ramping up its production  to 100,000,000 shots 

Not quite. J&J has committed to 200 million to the US...the second 100 million coming by mid summer. The first 100 million is due by May 31.

J&J has projected 1 billion doses to the world by end of 2021, last I heard. They may have increased that projection. 

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not quite. J&J has committed to 200 million to the US...the second 100 million coming by mid summer. The first 100 million is due by May 31.

J&J has projected 1 billion doses to the world by end of 2021, last I heard. They may have increased that projection. 

So there will be plenty to go around .Our land trip is not until Sept 13th  .We will get the vaccine long before we leave for the trip  of 3 weeks .  Cruises will be some time after October the earliest  unless the cruise lines make more foreign ports their goal for cruising to start  .As far as we know the CDC still using Nov 1st as a target date from US ports ,if there is no surge in the virus  . The problems we understand are in the variants & how those variants will impact our population  .  3   main countries in Europe ,France ,Germany & Italy are seeing a rise in cases  .I believe it is due to the slower rill out of the vaccines in those countries .Let us hope that they get it under control soon so that this virus does not mutate further 

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Bob the Chase Sapphire will protect each person (2) up to $20000  each for trip cancellation & trip interruption   plus v$1000 baggage   . Then the points gained in that purchase can be used with chase & get a 25 % bonus for things like more cruises ,planes ,car rentals  ,hotels .as long as chase deals with the vendor . The card also gets no foreign   money exchange  fees , Free Car collision insurance  on car rentals & other perks I can not remember . The biggie here is that when using this chase Sapphire Preferred Credit card to order $4000  in 3 months (say a cruise )  you get back 80000  points which is $800  & using it with chase travel you get another 25% bonus .Thus you can get  $1000 in value . That is a 25% back return  on the $4000 in purchase . .The pointsguy.com said this the best travel card out there

What is the annual fee (it there is one)?

1 minute ago, KroozNut said:

What is the annual fee (it there is one)?

The Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card is annual fee of $95   .It saves us a lot of insurance premium money  .Easy yo get the medical & med vac coverage on Insuremytrip.com  or Squarenouth.com  .We only need Med vac ourselves as my medical insures us for any emergency any where in the world . Because we are past 70 we would pay 10 to 12 % of the trip cost in insurance premiums  . We are now 82 each  .We aew doing a HAL .Hawaii cruise Feb 2 ,2022 ,18 night  from SD on  Koningsdam  . The cost is $5600  . 10 % would be $560   for ins at a minimum 

12 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Yikes!! 😲

13 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

So maybe the JnJ vaccine is not worth waiting for.  A 74 year old's skin peeled off after getting the jab.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/30/mans-skin-peeled-off-in-reaction-to-johnson-johnson-covid-vax/

My husband looked just like that man with the allergic reaction. However, it was from an antibiotic. He almost died. Had to be put on anti rejection drugs. So this can happen with other drugs too.

• Like 1

I don’t know if this info has been posted but wonderful news!

But new CDC data, out Tuesday, suggests those who are fully vaccinated won’t get sick and are unlikely to transmit the virus.

“Our data from the CDC today suggests that vaccinated people do not carry the virus, don’t get sick and it’s not just in the clinical trials but also in real world data," CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said.

Real world data that showed those who were fully vaccinated by either the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine did not transmit the virus.

“Before, we didn’t know for sure if it would keep you from spreading it and now we have good evidence that you will be safe and not spread it to other people," ECU associate professor of microbiology & immunology Dr. Rachel Roper said.

This means if you’ve been fully vaccinated, you may have more freedom than you thought.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ncgolferette said:

I don’t know if this info has been posted but wonderful news!

But new CDC data, out Tuesday, suggests those who are fully vaccinated won’t get sick and are unlikely to transmit the virus.

“Our data from the CDC today suggests that vaccinated people do not carry the virus, don’t get sick and it’s not just in the clinical trials but also in real world data," CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said.

Real world data that showed those who were fully vaccinated by either the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine did not transmit the virus.

“Before, we didn’t know for sure if it would keep you from spreading it and now we have good evidence that you will be safe and not spread it to other people," ECU associate professor of microbiology & immunology Dr. Rachel Roper said.

This means if you’ve been fully vaccinated, you may have more freedom than you thought.

Do you have a link for this?  I can't find it on the CDC site.  EM

32 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Thanks.  Wonder how many months before they make it official...  EM

The CDC is in no rush  to help foreign flag cruise ships who pay no US taxes  ,so don't expect any news soon . Imo ,the cruise lines will have to  use foreign ports to get restarted  cruising . imo .the cruise lines should definitely  require all crew & passengers to be vaccinated with proof  & as a safety  precaution   use a quick test at the embarkation port    .Then ,there should be no infections 

Just now, mcrcruiser said:

The CDC is in no rush  to help foreign flag cruise ships who pay no US taxes  ,so don't expect any news soon . Imo ,the cruise lines will have to  use foreign ports to get restarted  cruising . imo .the cruise lines should definitely  require all crew & passengers to be vaccinated with proof  & as a safety  precaution   use a quick test at the embarkation port  includes children   .Then ,there should be no infections 

7 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

So there will be plenty to go around .Our land trip is not until Sept 13th  .We will get the vaccine long before we leave for the trip  of 3 weeks .  Cruises will be some time after October the earliest  unless the cruise lines make more foreign ports their goal for cruising to start  .As far as we know the CDC still using Nov 1st as a target date from US ports ,if there is no surge in the virus  . The problems we understand are in the variants & how those variants will impact our population  .  3   main countries in Europe ,France ,Germany & Italy are seeing a rise in cases  .I believe it is due to the slower rill out of the vaccines in those countries .Let us hope that they get it under control soon so that this virus does not mutate further 

JNJ just had an issue at their Baltimore plant delaying tens of millions of doses for US delivery. Once again good luck. Especially with the much more transmissible variants. 

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 2

I live in San Diego,  In the last couple of days I have had calls from both of my specialty offices at Scripps Encinitas, plus Balboa Naval Hospital to see if I needed help in scheduling vaccine appts.   We are in the AstraZeneca trial and will make a decision next week if we want be unblinded.   
Cruise booked for July 17 to Mexico,  not holding much hope but the grandkids will be disappointed as this will be the 5th cancellation for them.

Fingers and legs crossed we will sail in December to Antarctica out of San Pedro for a B2B2B.

4 hours ago, Laminator said:

JNJ just had an issue at their Baltimore plant delaying tens of millions of doses for US delivery. Once again good luck. Especially with the much more transmissible variants. 

🌺Hi Laminator! We were suppose to receive J and J this week for distribution and giving vaccines which now are on hold. Mcrcruiser will definitely have to wait. This was from USA Today on my app!

A batch of Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine failed quality standards and has been rendered unusable, the drug giant said late Wednesday. Johnson & Johnson didn’t say how many doses were lost, and it wasn’t clear how the problem would impact future deliveries.

What does this mean for California? The state is expanding vaccine eligibility on Thursday, opening up appointments to all residents age 50 and older, largely because it had been expecting a greater supply of vaccine.

“Maintaining the highest standards during vaccine production to ensure safe and effective vaccines is a paramount concern," a spokesperson for the California Department of Public Health said in an email to The Desert Sun. "We are working with the federal government to learn more about potential impacts.”

As for what caused the batch to fail, a vaccine ingredient made by Emergent BioSolutions — one of about 10 companies Johnson & Johnson is using to speed up the manufacturing of its recently approved vaccine — did not meet quality standards, J&J said.

Denise😊

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺Hi Laminator! We were suppose to receive J and J this week for distribution and giving vaccines which now are on hold. Mcrcruiser will definitely have to wait. This was from USA Today on my app!

A batch of Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine failed quality standards and has been rendered unusable, the drug giant said late Wednesday. Johnson & Johnson didn’t say how many doses were lost, and it wasn’t clear how the problem would impact future deliveries.

What does this mean for California? The state is expanding vaccine eligibility on Thursday, opening up appointments to all residents age 50 and older, largely because it had been expecting a greater supply of vaccine.

“Maintaining the highest standards during vaccine production to ensure safe and effective vaccines is a paramount concern," a spokesperson for the California Department of Public Health said in an email to The Desert Sun. "We are working with the federal government to learn more about potential impacts.”

As for what caused the batch to fail, a vaccine ingredient made by Emergent BioSolutions — one of about 10 companies Johnson & Johnson is using to speed up the manufacturing of its recently approved vaccine — did not meet quality standards, J&J said.

Denise😊

Yes Ma'am...And wait and wait and wait!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Denise😊

Denise thanks for posting this info about JnJ . We are still hopeful for May ir even june for the JnJ vaccine to be available  .If not we would then consider alternatives

11 hours ago, Laminator said:

Yes Ma'am...And wait and wait and wait!

Our best guess is that JnJ will accelerate  production to make up for this  shortfall of 15 ,000,000 shots of vaccine  . They are a giant company with a huge reputation to defend 

12 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Denise😊

Denise would you kindly post when you hear any thing about the JnJ becoming available .Thanks in Advance 

12 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Our best guess is that JnJ will accelerate  production to make up for this  shortfall of 15 ,000,000 shots of vaccine  . They are a giant company with a huge reputation to defend 

Let's wait for the dust to settle on this. It may, or might not, affect J&J distribution in the US. The 11 million doses J&J were supposed to ship this week came from another plant that also needed certification for final product. That certification was expected last Monday. I have not heard the certification didn't happen, but I did hear the 11 million doses did ship.

It takes a certain amount of time to make a batch of doses. Not sure how fast or easy it is to "ramp up" production. J&J had already committed to a number of activities to increase production,  like the production merger with Merck.

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Let's wait for the dust to settle on this. It may, or might not, affect J&J distribution in the US. The 11 million doses J&J were supposed to ship this week came from another plant that also needed certification for final product. That certification was expected last Monday. I have not heard the certification didn't happen, but I did hear the 11 million doses did ship.

It takes a certain amount of time to make a batch of doses. Not sure how fast or easy it is to "ramp up" production. J&J had already committed to a number of activities to increase production,  like the production merger with Merck.

That all sounds positive . Hope remains eternal