VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

Texas Department of Health has a statement on their website to expect a large date upload this evening.  These new vaccines will be for over 65 and those under 65 with certain pre-existing conditions.  They use a mapping system, the map tells where, which vaccine and how many doses .

It is here. Texas Department of Health Vaccine Availability Map

The better question is, is when is the FDA going to approve the other 3 or 4 vaccines in the pipeline?

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

I work for nhs in the uk and supporting the setting up of vaccination hubs.  We are vaccinating an amazing amount of people and this week we have the large vaccinating centres opening up.  My husband has has had his first and I will be receiving mind next week.

• Like 3

Using hospitals as community vaccination centers just ain't cuttin' it.  We need to handle this like we did the polio vaccine in the 50s.  School gymnasiums, fire halls, school cafeterias, arenas, etc. need to be set up as distribution centers.  My whole family went and we picked up grandma and grandpa along the way.  No one asked how old we were or if we were in Group 1b2.  They just stuck a needle in our arm.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Roz said:

Using hospitals as community vaccination centers just ain't cuttin' it.  We need to handle this like we did the polio vaccine in the 50s.  School gymnasiums, fire halls, school cafeterias, arenas, etc. need to be set up as distribution centers.  My whole family went and we picked up grandma and grandpa along the way.  No one asked how old we were or if we were in Group 1b2.  They just stuck a needle in our arm.

Amen!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The better question is, is when is the FDA going to approve the other 3 or 4 vaccines in the pipeline?

There are two vaccines wrapping up their Phase 3 testing and analyzing the results. Their presentations to the FDA are expected around Feb 1. There is a third vaccine (AstraZenica) in the pipeline which has been approved in a couple other countries,  but the US has requested additional studies, because of the dosing error issue...the situation where the first dose was accidentally a half dose, but the results appear to be even better in the half dose than in the full dose. Not sure how long these additionally studies will require.

Unfortunately, the AstraZenica vaccine had the greatest number of doses pre-ordered by the US.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Roz said:

Logistics is the driving factor here. The number of available doses and target audiences aren't warranting greater site usage. The complex refrigeration issue is hampering things. There aren't an unlimited number of people to do the jabbing, adding in the requirements for monitoring for a period of time after inoculation. 

They will get to the mass vaccination centers...

• Like 3

I found this NYT info interesting 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20210110&instance_id=25857&nl=the-morning&regi_id=152227726&segment_id=48890&te=1&user_id=e01ace66437d8943ecb4681e7c7ecfd1

Never would have thought West Virginia would be in the lead with 4.9% of its population vaccinated and 69% of its allocated doses in peoples arms.  Despite all the posts about Florida’s distribution, it’s 31st in the list with 1.9%.  Who knew....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

We need to be creative.  Call up retired nurses that still have their licenses and get them to vaccinate the masses.

In Brevard County Florida where I live they are asking for volunteers to assist.  I signed up as I am a retired RN. I also gave flu vaccines to a large corporation for many years.  There were about 50 people signed up ahead of me.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Louisiana 36th in distribution.  As of tomorrow, approximately 17,500 doses available for the 650,000 qualified under tier 1B.  Getting vaccinated here depends on who you know; unfortunately, I don't know anyone to pull strings for me. 

I live in Georgia and our District Health Dept. has set up vaccination sites in 4 nearby counties for this Tuesday the 12th.  We have appointments for our shots Tuesday morning at one of the locations.  They are asking for medical personnel, first responders, over 65 adults, and caregivers of over 65 individuals to be included at this time.  Not sure why we would be considered last in the nation on that NYT list, but I think all states have to get coordinated and sometimes a state will do a better job than another state.  It will get done!

51 minutes ago, Roz said:

We need to be creative.  Call up retired nurses that still have their licenses and get them to vaccinate the masses.

That is what we are doing,  anyone who is medicinal trained in giving injections and those who are not are being up trained.   The trouble at the moment is our hospital are now at breaking point and having to redeploy now clinical to help on the wards. Its a nightmare, but  we have the highest number of people vaccinated so far, I believe.

1 hour ago, mame42 said:

Louisiana 36th in distribution.  As of tomorrow, approximately 17,500 doses available for the 650,000 qualified under tier 1B.  Getting vaccinated here depends on who you know; unfortunately, I don't know anyone to pull strings for me. 

My sister, a nurse, got hers in December at Oschner and her final last week.  My mother and older sibs were all able to get their vaccines last week either in Jefferson Parish or Tangipahoa Parish.  Call your local hospital or hospital clinic

As to the ranking it all depends on how the state aggregates the data and how often the state releases the data.  That table is like comparing apples to oranges

Edited by Mary229

Daveokc. is correct. I have been trying to check the website for Tulsa and its a complete fiasco. It brings up the centers and then tells you there are no appointments available anywhere near you. I am with Roz, open up larger areas. My family drove from Maine to Massachusetts to the  Massachusetts State Armory for all of us to get the polio shots. I still remember all the Drs. lined up and the national guard moving us right along. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mame42 said:

Ah, somewhere Huey Long is smiling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

In Brevard County Florida where I live they are asking for volunteers to assist.  I signed up as I am a retired RN. I also gave flu vaccines to a large corporation for many years.  There were about 50 people signed up ahead of me.

Thank you!  Its people like you that will get us out of this mess.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I live in Georgia and our District Health Dept. has set up vaccination sites in 4 nearby counties for this Tuesday the 12th.  We have appointments for our shots Tuesday morning at one of the locations.  They are asking for medical personnel, first responders, over 65 adults, and caregivers of over 65 individuals to be included at this time.  Not sure why we would be considered last in the nation on that NYT list, but I think all states have to get coordinated and sometimes a state will do a better job than another state.  It will get done!

Its strictly based on how successful a state has been in getting shots in the arms based on shots given/shots distributed to the state.