CDC to require Covid test for international flight arrivals

Washington is expected to require all international airline passengers to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test before boarding flights to the US, according to a Dow Jones report citing people familiar with the matter. The CDC is planning to issue its order as soon as Tuesday, following weeks of discussions among federal agencies and the White House coronavirus task force. The order is expected to go into effect Jan. 26, according to a person familiar with the matter.

I wonder how far in advance it will be needed?

Will the CDC require this for cruising when, if, it ever returns?

What happens if you get a false positive? How many negatives do you need to get back in? 2 out of 3? 3 out of 5. LOL.

Yes but weird.  Probably implemented because other countries are doing it.  Must get covid test if flying in but people walking across Southern border don't need a test at all.

Wouldn't mind visiting our favorite Northern neighbor if we could get there.  Used to camp a lot in the national parks in the Canadian Rockies.

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, atgood said:

The negative test result will still be required even if you have taken a Covid vaccine. 

That's weird. I work for a hospital where we have weekly town halls to keep us informed.  They said the CDC does not recommend testing after a confirmed case of COVID because you can test positive for up to 3 months after contracting it.  So I wonder if they have provisions for someone with a confirmed prior case of COVID. My employer also sent us a link today to a study published in the journal Science that found that there is immunity after having COVID for 8 months.

I had COVID in August and I just received my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. I have been carrying my vaccine card and a copy of my positive test result in my purse just in case. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kands6191 said:

That's weird. I work for a hospital where we have weekly town halls to keep us informed.  They said the CDC does not recommend testing after a confirmed case of COVID because you can test positive for up to 3 months after contracting it.  So I wonder if they have provisions for someone with a confirmed prior case of COVID. My employer also sent us a link today to a study published in the journal Science that found that there is immunity after having COVID for 8 months.

I had COVID in August and I just received my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. I have been carrying my vaccine card and a copy of my positive test result in my purse just in case. 

For the Quantum sailings Royal was not allowing anyone to board the ship who had Covid within the past 6(?) months. 

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

For the Quantum sailings Royal was not allowing anyone to board the ship who had Covid within the past 6(?) months. 

I don’t think this protocol will work as well out of the states, especially with the high numbers. This could lower ship capacity on its own. 😉

On 1/12/2021 at 6:51 PM, HaveWeMetYet said:

Will the CDC require this for cruising when, if, it ever returns?

What happens if you get a false positive?

And once again back to the question of availability of testing on cruise ships. And what happens if a foreign national tests positive? Do they get deported and banned for 5 or 10 years which is what DEPORTATION results in. And depending upon the age of the person who may be "deported" it could be very hard to return. I don't think none Americans will risk it unless the guidelines are absolutely clear.

7 hours ago, atgood said:

The negative test result will still be required even if you have taken a Covid vaccine. 

So whether you have full vaccine or not, you will still need a negative test to get home? So what's the point of rushing to get one to travel? and wait in hour long lines?

• Like 1

All the issues being brought up in this thread are now at a point of being meaningless.  The virus is simply everywhere..   Require tests to fly to offer some level of protection to fellow passengers, fine.  But doing it to "stop the spread" beyond that is a joke.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kands6191 said:

Here’s the link to an article I read. https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/12/world/covid-19-coronavirus#the-us-will-require-negative-virus-tests-from-international-passengers-arriving-by-air

There is a provision for a recent positive test in the three previous months. “The agency will not require further testing in the three months after a positive test, so long as the traveler has not had any symptoms. In this situation, a passenger may travel with documentation of the positive test result and a letter from a health care provider or a public health official stating that the traveler now has been cleared for travel.”

10 minutes ago, atgood said:

In this situation, a passenger may travel with documentation of the positive test result and a letter from a health care provider or a public health official stating that the traveler now has been cleared for travel

I am not a medical person not by the stretch of the imagination. I don't know if this is possible but what if a person is asymptomatic for life? 

31 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

All the issues being brought up in this thread are now at a point of being meaningless.  The virus is simply everywhere..   Require tests to fly to offer some level of protection to fellow passengers, fine.  But doing it to "stop the spread" beyond that is a joke.

14 days to stop the spread!

12 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

No mass gatherings !  Unless its to celebrate JB winning ! 

Insanity is everywhere.   Talked to a friend in Canada today, Ontario has shut down skiing......   Yeah I'm sure covid would have been rampant on the outdoor slopes.

And of course it's more contagious at night:

(1) Coronavirus: Quebec police issue 740 tickets across province on first weekend of curfew | Globalnews.ca

Edited by bouhunter

47 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Insanity is everywhere.   Talked to a friend in Canada today, Ontario has shut down skiing......   Yeah I'm sure covid would have been rampant on the outdoor slopes.

And of course it's more contagious at night:

(1) Coronavirus: Quebec police issue 740 tickets across province on first weekend of curfew | Globalnews.ca

Lack of testicular fortitude/common sense is rampant these days.  All my spots are open in Colorado!  

Covid19 loves outdoor areas where people are spread out constantly moving.  How dare you!!!

• Like 1

This is all beyond stupid, driven by mass hysteria and the cancel culture.  Those with the power are dictating the control, and nobody wants to face the wrath of the cancel culture perpetrated by those who want to control us for fear of being canceled themselves by those in power.  It's a vicious toilet bowl swirl the government is in and it will take the masses to say enough is enough.

I have a friend who was going to MX but I encouraged him to come up with some fake PCR test result from some Clinica del Pueblo Arredondes.  Es authentico!

36 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

How do we get tested mid cruise to get back home?

Probably have to have a lab onboard like the Viking Star installed 🙂

"Viking announced today that it has completed installation of the first full-scale PCR laboratory at sea. This new onboard facility – an industry first – allows for unprecedented testing capacity in the cruise industry, enabling Viking to conduct PCR testing of all crew members and guests with a non-invasive saliva test. The laboratory has enough capacity for daily testing of every crew member and guest, which provides flexibility to respond to COVID-19 prevalence levels around the world".

https://www.vikingcruises.com/press/press-releases/viking-announces-completion-of-first-pcr-laboratory-at-sea.html

And notice the CDC would also like you to get tested again after you come home and then stay home for 7 days 🙃

"Before departure to the United States, a required test, combined with the CDC recommendations to get tested again 3-5 days after arrival and stay home for 7 days post-travel, will help slow the spread of COVID-19 within US communities from travel-related infections. Pre-departure testing with results known and acted upon before travel begins will help identify infected travelers before they board airplanes.

Air passengers are required to get a viral test (a test for current infection) within the 3 days before their flight to the U.S. departs, and provide written documentation of their laboratory test result (paper or electronic copy) to the airline or provide documentation of having recovered from COVID-19. Airlines must confirm the negative test result for all passengers or documentation of recovery before they board. If a passenger does not provide documentation of a negative test or recovery, or chooses not to take a test, the airline must deny boarding to the passenger.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s0112-negative-covid-19-air-passengers.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

How do we get tested mid cruise to get back home?

CDC requires testing before disembarkation, so, get your PCR test off the windjammer buffet I guess.

I don't know how that'll work because even the fastest processing of PCR tests takes 6 hours.

Edited by smokeybandit