The Daily for Thursday Jan 14, 2021

richwmn

I was just thinking exactly 1 year ago (11AM) I was in the Airport Shuttle on the way to BWI rail station to begin what was supposed to be a surface circumnavigation of the globe.  How times have changed.

Roy

• Like 12

I love a good Bloody Mary and learned something new today about "menage a trois" so at least there's that...😃   also intrigued by the wine, I might have to search that one out.

Today's confluence of days has interesting cross-over possibilities...

While I couldn't find any images of pets dressed up as kites, I did find one dog wearing his kite-flying outfit:

Kite Flying Pet Apparel - CafePress

However, I suspect most pets have feelings about dressing up that are more like this:

Dress your pets day - quickmeme

Good thoughts for @kazu and Marley, and for  @Hflors new puppy, and everyone else's fur babies.

@rafinmd  Maybe we will see some more dressed up penguins?

• Like 15

Morning all. I am not going to be dressing up the pets..... Bandit is still not speaking to me after his vet visit yesterday. I think it was the skipped breakfast since he really loves his vet.... little tail was wagging all the way in. He was given a clean bill of health.... does not even need his teeth cleaned. As to organizing the house..... I am trying, but I don't seem to get very far. Have tossed the easy to get rid of stuff, now I am being forced into hard decisions.

Otherwise things are much the same. Still trying to get caught up on appointments.... the doctor tomorrow, eye check next week to be followed in another week by dermatologist. Geesh!!!

Susan

• Like 11

Yesterday, I was grilling a steak (it was delicious!) and didn't even need a jacket. Today there is a winter weather advisory.

I would love to be where we were today in 2019 - Nassau, The Bahamas. I was a little hesitant about this port, but we ended up having a great time! We did a HAL tour that went to Ardastra Gardens and had a brief stop at Fort Charlotte. It was a bit chaotic at the pier due to the number of ships in port, but we eventually got to our transport OK. The "marching flamingos" at Ardastra were a bit silly and tourist trappy. But the gardens were very nice as was the staff that was rehabilitating some of the wildlife. They were very talkative and explained a lot about their work. I would have happily spent more time there. The Fort was as much of a bathroom break as anything. To actually tour the Fort was an additional cost and, given our time constraints, not worth it that day. The views were nice and I got some interesting pictures. 

Ardastra -

1419674243_DSC_0739(2).thumb.JPG.ab351f0ea7dc46a5efae0e5e3332af18.JPG

DSC_0757.thumb.JPG.3c27aaab9e2aa4fc9ed9e1c43ad3bd05.JPG

Fort Charlotte -

DSC_0792.thumb.JPG.bdf37ea83dd91d4323c51efea7621fa1.JPG

211434151_DSC_0790(2).thumb.JPG.e55eec490a21637b0dec6603a72b281a.JPG

• Like 21

Good morning all!

Dress up your pet day -- no pets to dress up now, but as a child I loved dressing up my cats and putting them in my baby buggy...looking back I can't believe they let me do that! 

No kites here either, but a few days ago trying to fly a kite would have resulted in a lost/ripped up kite (photos below of our windstorm that resulted in the huge power outage around the state). 

I have been organizing, or trying to organize, the home since this all started lol.  Some progress here and there LOL. 

Glad to have a white wine today, and it sounds good!

Sending good thoughts for Marley today Jacqui and wonderful news about your BIL's Mom's recovery.  

@StLouisCruisersprayers for your MIL, so glad she's doing fine so far, prayers for your sister and nephews too.

The first photo below is just up the street from our house.  That tree came down into one of the basketball courts -- so glad it didn't hit a house, which easily could have happened.  The other photos are from around the state, the tipped truck is on Deception Pass Bridge on Whidbey Island.

downed tree.jpg

Mt. Baker highway.jpg

truck.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Did you dress up Callie and Leo to celebrate the day?  Probably not, cats usually don’t like that but I do remember the little girl in the movie The Three Lives of Thomasina dressing up her kitty.

85FCA1F0-9AEC-45E7-87CA-8741704AD8FA.thumb.jpeg.25cb56c0dafb482467e57b7faa9da247.jpeg I loved that movie as a child and was one reason I begged my parents for a cat. They finally gave in and we got a Siamese and named him Nappy, a nickname for one of the characters on the TV show The Man from Uncle, Napoleon Solo, my Dad’s favorite show at the time.  

Blue the hairless dog always has a shirt or sweater on.  And even has a farmers tan to show for it. 

5DCCAC93-F27D-49B1-99EC-20D3CB834D3E.thumb.jpeg.b5675ef192de26ed48218666488903ac.jpeg

The meal suggestion sounds good but I need to use up some ground beef that I defrosted. No kites here but it sounds like fun. I’m really bad at organizing but will try a bit today. 

Thank you for your list Roy and pictures. Thank you everyone for your posts and contributions. I love all the pictures. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 14

Thanks for the daily and good morning. Unfortunately, I no longer have a pet to dress up, but when we did, my young grandson tied her up with rope all around her and held up a newspaper with the date so we could see how they were taking care of our dog while we were cruising. We weren’t amused.

My house could really use some organization and I am slowly attacking one area at a time. It’s going to take a while.

NJ has a very high rate of COVID infections and we personally are in lockdown. Have been calling area sites that are supposed to be giving the vaccine but no response from them yet. I don’t think the state has enough vaccine to open all the sites they have listed.

Stay safe and wear your masks.

Carol

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

We did a HAL tour that went to Ardastra Gardens and had a brief stop at Fort Charlotte. It was a bit chaotic at the pier due to the number of ships in port, but we eventually got to our transport OK. The "marching flamingos" at Ardastra were a bit silly and tourist trappy. But the gardens were very nice as was the staff that was rehabilitating some of the wildlife. They were very talkative and explained a lot about their work. I would have happily spent more time there. 

We went on a similar tour back in 2000 when we were on a Volendam Panama Canal cruise. Yes it was touristy but I loved the flamingos!  Thank you for the memories. 

• Like 6

Thank you for the Daily, Rich. And also thanks to Roy for the lists of concerns & celebrations -- both are bright spots to my day.

My DH received word yesterday that he'll start radiation treatments on his ankle next week for the cancer that has eaten into the bone. Thirteen daily (M-F) treatments to start. We're hopeful!

• Like 15

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily!

No pets here, nor have I ever flown a kite. My yearly goal is always organizing my house; not sure why I haven't accomplished it during the lockdown! I normally sell stuff on eBay, but not going to the PO these days, so donating a lot more.

Not sure what's on the menu for dinner.

@ger_77That weather sounds awful! I'm glad you weren't without heat for too long.

@kazu Hope Marley is ok.

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for your family members

@NextOnePrayers for your DH

Prayers for those on the Care List and cheers to those on the celebration list.

Stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask!

V

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Thank you for the Daily, Rich. And also thanks to Roy for the lists of concerns & celebrations -- both are bright spots to my day.

My DH received word yesterday that he'll start radiation treatments on his ankle next week for the cancer that has eaten into the bone. Thirteen daily (M-F) treatments to start. We're hopeful!

Hoping all goes well with DH's treatments, and he is back to his regular activities soon.

• Like 6

Thanks for The Daily and reminder to pray.  As our travel increased and our best dog ever, Em crossed the Rainbow Bridge, we have enjoyed our Fisher-Price pals.  These stay-at-home-months have introduced many conversations about our next dog...

IMG_0444.jpeg

• Like 14

24 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Hope all goes well for him. 🤞 🙏

• Like 9

Good morning, all, and thanks to everyone for the daily get-together!  Busy morning today, with lots of posters.  

I'm thinking of Master Marley today, too, remembering him as a puppy when he was the unofficial mascot of the "Sailaway Gang".  Hope all goes well with his poor nose.  And I'll be saying a prayer today for all those needing one.  Here I have 2 cousins undergoing cancer treatment, which is a very solitary ordeal right now.

When I lived in Nassau before I was married, my parents had a rescue "Bahamian banana hound" called Peanuts.  She was very rambunctious, and would jump all over anyone who came in.  But she loved to wear my bead necklaces, and if we then told her how beautiful she was, she would behave.  Our wedding reception was in our house, so we dressed her up in her jewels and she was a good as gold.  I have a photo of her in her finery and me in my wedding dress somewhere.  Maybe I'll have a look for it.

• Like 17

The last time I flew a kite was in 1999 at Tienanmen Square in Beijing.  We were touring China with some friends and a vendor was either selling or renting kites there.  It was a good place for kite flying.

Thought I might mention something I learned about Costco for those who use their photo area for passport and visa photos.  They will be closing that in-store area a month from now in all of their stores (at least in the U.S.) so if you need some of those photos in the next year or two, now would be a good time to get them.  

It is an example of how photography is changing.  I have hundreds of prints of travel photos, but in the last 5 years or so I haven't had any made.  I just put them on my computer so I can easily access them by date and email them if necessary.

• Like 11

Good morning, all! There are no pets left to dress up, and I don’t think Rizu the squirrel would take kindly to it. Whoever put International Kite Day in mid January clearly did not live in Canada! While most of us could have sent a kite high and far this week, standing outside to do it would be a different story. I guess it’s time to do a little organizing.

@ger_77our DD lives in Colonsay just east of you. She was posting little video clips of the storm last night. At least, until she couldn’t because every single window on all four sides of the house was obscured with snow and ice. She never mentioned losing power, which is very surprising. I hope no one was caught out in that!

@cat shepardI’m starting to think the perfect winery must be located between a vineyard and a gravel pit, at least for tasting purposes! Although today’s wine constrains itself to gun flint and chalk, no crushed granite or sandy boulder.

I am off now to get Rizu’s walnut for today, but won’t even mention dress up your pet day in front of her.

Happy Thursday from one of our blue hulled beauties!

88F5086C-B9A6-4732-B83F-ABA326F9FB97.jpeg

• Like 15

Thank you once more @richwmn and @rafinmd for the Daily .  I will keep on reading .

Our Province of Ontario is going today in a more restrictive lock down .

I noticed that this is one of the first days that none of the "DAM " ships are moving they are all at anchor .

Take care everybody a few more months of this .

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

When I lived in Nassau before I was married, my parents had a rescue "Bahamian banana hound" called Peanuts.  She was very rambunctious, and would jump all over anyone who came in.  But she loved to wear my bead necklaces, and if we then told her how beautiful she was, she would behave.  Our wedding reception was in our house, so we dressed her up in her jewels and she was a good as gold.  I have a photo of her in her finery and me in my wedding dress somewhere.  Maybe I'll have a look for it.

Peanuts reminds me of our Springer Spaniel, Lucy, when my girls were little. She considered her collar to be a necklace and was very proud of it. The girls would hold out collar after collar, and if Lucy liked it she would bow, asking for it. Eventually she’d have a ridiculous number of collars draped loosely around her neck, and show them off as pleased as punch. She was keenly aware that her little brother, a German Sheppard twice her size, only had ONE collar. He would sit there doing the dog equivalent of rolling his eyes. The girls thought it was hilarious.

Thank you for bringing that memory back!

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

Greetings, everyone!

Kite Day makes me think of the song Let's Go Fly A Kite in Mary Poppins.  Sometimes we need to embrace our inner child and indulge.  It does wonders for our mental health and outlook. 

As for putting order to the house, that is a big laugh.  When this pandemic started I thought I would have the cleanest house around.   Hardly.  That lasted about 2 days.   Oh, well.  

Prayers for all those undergoing medical treatments, including fur babies.  I hope everyone has a positive outcome.   And also wishing for a reprieve for those who have bad weather.   @Cruising-along's wind storm and @ger_77's snow sound horrible.  It has been mid 40's here and sunny today.   Just finished my laps and feel invigorated.  

• Like 16

37 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

The last time I flew a kite was in 1999 at Tienanmen Square in Beijing.  We were touring China with some friends and a vendor was either selling or renting kites there.  It was a good place for kite flying.

Thought I might mention something I learned about Costco for those who use their photo area for passport and visa photos.  They will be closing that in-store area a month from now in all of their stores (at least in the U.S.) so if you need some of those photos in the next year or two, now would be a good time to get them.  

It is an example of how photography is changing.  I have hundreds of prints of travel photos, but in the last 5 years or so I haven't had any made.  I just put them on my computer so I can easily access them by date and email them if necessary.

Also closing in Canada as of feb 14, 2021. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

today is Dress Up Your Pet Day, International Kite Day, and Organize Your Home Day

Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.
        -- Aldous Huxley

Technical Jokes and Cartoons-28 - Kintronics

Altaro Software on Twitter: "#cloudcomputing #noob #techorama #JokeoftheDay  #jokes #humour #tech #technology http://t.co/LgUDVZUHVh"

500+ Crazy Cartoons ideas | bones funny, humor, funny

In Photos: How Things Get To Change With Evolution In Technology - Jokes  Etc - Nigeria

• Like 10
  • Haha 8

13 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Peanuts reminds me of our Springer Spaniel, Lucy, when my girls were little. She considered her collar to be a necklace and was very proud of it. The girls would hold out collar after collar, and if Lucy liked it she would bow, asking for it. Eventually she’d have a ridiculous number of collars draped loosely around her neck, and show them off as pleased as punch. She was keenly aware that her little brother, a German Sheppard twice her size, only had ONE collar. He would sit there doing the dog equivalent of rolling his eyes. The girls thought it was hilarious.

Thank you for bringing that memory back!

Dogs are smart!

• Like 7

Thank you to Rich, Roy and the drinks ladies.

I'd never really thought about making a 'bloody mary' with red wine, kind of a veggie twist on sangria.

Maybe there will be someone down at the park flying kites on our sunny day.

Enjoyed an early morning walk.  Here's the sunrise.

Everyone have a safe day.

20210114_073511.jpg

• Like 17