The Daily for Friday Jan 15, 2021

richwmn

today is National Bagel Day, National Hat Day, and National Humanitarian Day

If you don't care where you are, then you ain't lost.

Meal suggestion for today - Skillet Shepherd's Pie

Drink of the Day - Espresso Martini

Wine of the day - Louis Jadot Charmes Chambertin Grand Cru - France - Red

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam off San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam off San Diego
Noordam off San Diego
Westerdam off San Diego
Zuiderdam off San Diego

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0115World.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the sailaway Friday Daily, Rich.  I'm not a fan of bagels; today here is Purple Friday in honor of the Ravens and I will have a Dunkin purple donut.  Humanitarian days are needed more than ever now, and while mild for winter it is still definitely hat day.  I love the quote and skillet shepard's pie sounds interesting.  My alternative is Canaletto Salad, Spaghetti Bolognese, and Pistachio Gelato which I enjoyed this date 2 years ago in Prinsendam's Canaletto.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dishes15.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Our Nation

Master Marley awaiting test results (hooray for good vet report)

StLouisCruiser’s Sister, and 2 nephews

HAL (and other crews)

RIP former cruise ship magician Sigfried

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard garlictown

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

First jab for summer slope’s SIL

Good checkup for Bandit

Treatments coming for NextOne’s DH

Nieuw Statendam due to sail at 1700

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, richwmn said:

If you don't care where you are, then you ain't lost.

and if you don't care what day it is, you are living the good life.

Happy Friday everyone.  We are off to hike the nature preserve and then the outdoor flea market in rural North Texas.  There will be a bit of a nip in the air, thanks Alberta for the little blast of winter. 

Have a great weekend.

• Like 15

Good morning, thanks for the Daily.

It's cold outside, so I will wear a hat when I walk Bertie this morning.  I may have a bagel for lunch.  And everyday should be Humanitarian Day.

Great quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good, but I have a beef roast for the crock pot today.

Looking forward to reading about the beverages.

Interesting to see where the ships are on your map.

Praying for everyone on the Care List.  And a round of applause for all who have something to celebrate.

Have a wonderful Friday.  Stay safe.

• Like 14

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile.

DH loves good bagels & we are both hat people but today, especially I am going to celebrate Humanitarian Day.

I’m in grateful mode today I guess as I reflect:

So grateful for so many humanitarians out there who are trying so hard to protect and aid in our welfare.

And I’m also grateful for those who are humane and working in these tough times to care for our fur babies.

And grateful for everyone here who has prayed for those needing them and provided support to each other.

As always, my prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them & a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good T.G.I.F. everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 26

Happy Friday...I think it's Friday.  I'm never sure.  LOL  Great quote.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your dedication.  The meal sounds wonderful! We have Bagels most mornings and DH has worn a ball cap for as long as I've known him.  Humanitarians are so important.

Prayers and toasts for our lists. 

Stay Safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Espresso Martini:

Ingredients:
1 fluid ounce brewed espresso
1 ½ fluid ounces vodka
1 ½ fluid ounces coffee-flavored liqueur (such as Kahlua®)
1 fluid ounce white creme de cacao
1 cup ice

Directions
Combine espresso, vodka, coffee liqueur, creme de cacao, and ice in a cocktail shaker. Cover and shake until chilled. Strain into a chilled martini glass.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 7.05.36 AM.png

• Like 22

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! We need to celebrate our Humanitarians everyday. Perhaps I took them a bit for granted until recently.  I might have to hunt down an Asiago-Jalapeño bagel today, while sporting my Beachfront Winery hat.

Roy, thank you for keeping up with the Dailyites! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Love the quote. And Summer, I have personally tested today’s drink on two Dam ships and each was great! Eggplant cutlets & the rest of my zoodles are on my menu tonight. Another nippy morning here - 42 when we ventured out this morning. But it should warm up fast. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This Pinot Noir from Burgundy, France has great ratings and a hefty price tag. The cheapest I found online was $158.04 for the 2017 vintage. Enjoy the experts descriptions.

Winemaker Notes

This is a wine of delicacy and finesse, with notes of berries, earth and oak in a silken texture. This wine will improve in the bottle for 20 to 25 years.

V94 :Vinous: The 2017 Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru was slightly subdued when I tasted the barrel sample. One usually expects expressive fruit, but this feels withdrawn, yet still well defined. The palate is medium-bodied and fleshy on the midpalate, with supple tannin and a taut, crisp, mineral-driven finish that is pure joy. I expect the fruit will awaken by the time of bottling and this will evolve into a wonderful Charmes-Chambertin. 
Barrel Sample: 92-94

RP93: Robert Parker's Wine Advocate: The 2017 Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru (Maison Louis Jadot) displays notes of sweet red fruits, grilled meats and espresso roast. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and layered, with a sweet, fleshy core of fruit and satiny tannins. The Charmes has turned out very well this year and will make friends in its youth. 
Barrel Sample: 90-93
  • Like 15

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Our favourite Great Canadian Bagel stores closed down, and since then, we haven't been able to find good bagels in our city.  It's supposed to be nice - after the Alberta Clipper - so we won't need to wear our toques (hey, it's a knit hat) today, and we SO appreciate all the humanitarians out there helping our world.

If you don't know or care what day it is, I'm pretty sure you're retired.

Great menu suggestions today; I'm going to tuck the skillet shepherd's pie away for another day, though, as the slow cooker chicken stew that I made yesterday made a rather large amount.  It's going to be leftovers from last night accompanied by a salad and I might make a batch of buns to go with it.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking our wine glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your mask!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15

Good morning!

@cat shepardI had to do a double take when you said your temp was - 42 and realized it was a dash not a negative number, and you live in Florida and not the "frozen tundra"!!  😄

We had some concerning news last night about my MIL who has Covid and is in quarantine in her nursing facility.  DH's sister got an update call from the nurse, who said MIL was found on the floor (fell out of wheelchair) and had a tiny cut over her eyebrow.  Then she said her oxygen level was 85 so they gave her some oxygen and she was okay.  SisterIL felt that all was fine and it was a good report.  I told DH an oxygen level of 85 in a Covid patient who is 94 years old is terrible news so we called and talked to the night nurse.  He told us yes 85 is not a good number but they still had her on oxygen and she was now up to 96, so we all agreed that was a much better report than earlier in the day.  I texted SIL and told her what the night nurse said and she seemed confused over our concern over the 85 number.  She said she thought 70-100 was good, but I believe that is a different testing procedure  (not the pulse oximeter we all have done at the doctor's office where they put the clamp on your finger to test oxygen levels - am I right?).  At any rate, any prayers you can give for my feisty MIL would be appreciated.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning!

@cat shepardI had to do a double take when you said your temp was - 42 and realized it was a dash not a negative number, and you live in Florida and not the "frozen tundra"!!  😄

We had some concerning news last night about my MIL who has Covid and is in quarantine in her nursing facility.  DH's sister got an update call from the nurse, who said MIL was found on the floor (fell out of wheelchair) and had a tiny cut over her eyebrow.  Then she said her oxygen level was 85 so they gave her some oxygen and she was okay.  SisterIL felt that all was fine and it was a good report.  I told DH an oxygen level of 85 in a Covid patient who is 94 years old is terrible news so we called and talked to the night nurse.  He told us yes 85 is not a good number but they still had her on oxygen and she was now up to 96, so we all agreed that was a much better report than earlier in the day.  I texted SIL and told her what the night nurse said and she seemed confused over our concern over the 85 number.  She said she thought 70-100 was good, but I believe that is a different testing procedure  (not the pulse oximeter we all have done at the doctor's office where they put the clamp on your finger to test oxygen levels - am I right?).  At any rate, any prayers you can give for my feisty MIL would be appreciated.

I can’t like this post as the news is very concerning. 😢 

All our prayers are with your MIL and your family ❤️ 🙏🏻 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning!

Prayers winging their way. Glad they continued your MIL on oxygen.  

And if it ever gets down to -42 here, I will be moving. 

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We had some concerning news last night about my MIL who has Covid and is in quarantine in her nursing facility.

Prayers and warm thoughts winging their way to you and  your MIL.   

• Like 9

So  sorry to  hear  about StLouisCruisers  MIL.85% on  a  pulse  oximeter  is  not  a  good reading. I  am  glad  the  staff  kept  her  on  02. I   hope  things  are  better  today.

I  had  a  good  laugh  about  42  degrees  being  chilly. I  know  it  is  all  in  perspective  but  it  was  45  degrees  here  yesterday   and  dog  walking  was  lovely,jacket  open,no  gloves  or  hat. My  MIL  used  to  come  to  NY  to  visit  and  wear  a  sweater  in  June while   the  rest  of  us  were  sweating.   Terry

• Like 11
  • Haha 1