Pfizer vaccine formally approved in Oz

I think the vaccine will protect us here, but not sure if it will protect us if we are moving around USA, Latin America, Africa, Europe, Asia in the next couple of years. Covid is still strong and stormy in those places. Which worries me re those doing World 🚢 cruising or land travel on some continents.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I think the vaccine will protect us here, but not sure if it will protect us if we are moving around USA, Latin America, Africa, Europe, Asia in the next couple of years. Covid is still strong and stormy in those places. Which worries me re those doing World 🚢 cruising or land travel on some continents.

I'm quite happy to cruise here, NZ and the South Pacific for the next few years, although I would like to go to Japan again, and Singapore to catch up with a friend there.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm quite happy to cruise here, NZ and the South Pacific for the next few years, although I would like to go to Japan again, and Singapore to catch up with a friend there.

Singa is one of my favourites, Japan not so.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I saw  report on a gastro outbreak which stemmed from a child care place a few weeks ago, affected about 200 people, I cannot remember exactly where it happened though.

Gastro outbreaks usually do the rounds in places like that and schools. When our granddaughters were small they were always catching gastro, sometimes 2-3 times a year.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Gastro outbreaks usually do the rounds in places like that and schools. When our granddaughters were small they were always catching gastro, sometimes 2-3 times a year.

Rob and I have had a gastro illness later this week, and I managed to give it to our granddaughter whom we were minding when it struck me on Wednesday. She was not well by Friday afternoon. As soon as I started to be unwell, we arranged for her to be taken home.

Leigh

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Hope you're feeling better now, Leigh. Any idea how you managed to pick it up?

Thanks Julie, I am, just really hetting appetite back though. I have no idea at all where we picked it up.  We were away for the weekend and returned home on Monday. Only stopped at local shops to buy milk and bread. Didn't go out on Tuesday or see anyone.

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Julie, I am, just really hetting appetite back though. I have no idea at all where we picked it up.  We were away for the weekend and returned home on Monday. Only stopped at local shops to buy milk and bread. Didn't go out on Tuesday or see anyone.

Leigh

I thought you went to the big tennis carnival as your grandson was doing ballboy duty? Crook pie?

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Did you stop for any comfort breaks on your way home on Monday? That's a possible point of infection when travelling.

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I thought you went to the big tennis carnival as your grandson was doing ballboy duty? Crook pie?

No tennis for us, except one day in the lead up tournaments. Had a great day there, but much easier to sit at home and watch when we want to. Yes grandson is doing ball kid duties, had six days/evenings rostered on so far and has managed to go to school three days last week as well.

So no crook pies for us! In fact haven't had one (pie, not a crook one) for a long time. We don't have any power tomorrow - work being done in our street, so might have to get pies for lunch if we feel like it.

Leigh

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Did you stop for any comfort breaks on your way home on Monday? That's a possible point of infection when travelling.

Yes just once. At a service centre, at Geelong where we usually stop to use the facilities and buy lunch or coffee. We just had coffee on Monday. It's possible we picked it up there. It's usually well cleaned as it was Monday.

Leigh

Just now, possum52 said:

Just read on the ABC website that the Pfizer vaccine is due to arrive here this week and the rollout will be as planned for later in the month.

Leigh

I watched Greg Hunt's press conference just now. To be honest he seems to spend an awful lot of time and words saying nothing - I wish they would be clearer about the numbers of doses expected and how they plan to increase the delivery of the vaccines into people's arms at the speed required to meet their stated objective of having everyone who wants the shot done by end of October. I realise they are in the hands of the overseas companies to some extent but I still wish they would be clearer about the logistics.

It seems silly to me since we are obviously going to have to rely on the AstraZeneca vaccine that there's still all this faff about the TGA approval process; I wish they'd just get it done already. I'm sick of hearing from Greg Hunt the phrase 'if it gets approved'. If it doesn't get approved we're st*ffed! I've read they have to separately approve the overseas supply of AstraZeneca as well as the local one - as well as a two week delay of each while they do the batch testing. I don't know why the batch testing of the Pzfizer vaccine won't delay its roll-out by two weeks from its arrival.

Hopefully next week we can start a new thread entitled 'AstraZeneca Vaccine Formally Approved in Oz'!

Sorry to hear about your gastro. I'm also in Melbourne and had an out-of-the-blue gastro a couple of weeks ago. Really odd as I don't go anywhere or eat anything that I haven't cooked myself (apart from one piece of my daughter's pizza the night I got ill!). There must be a bit of it around. So odd with all the masks and hand washing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

the Pfizer vaccine is due to arrive here this week and the rollout will be as planned for later in the month.

We're up to the 14th day of a 28 day month, there's not much "later in the month" left. I don't understand why they are avoiding giving an actual start date. Something smells fishy to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

We're up to the 14th day of a 28 day month, there's not much "later in the month" left. I don't understand why they are avoiding giving an actual start date. Something smells fishy to me.

Not enough vaccine stock and they know it.

OMG

a quote from ABC News Site    a few minutes ago

While touring a DHL cold-chain logistics facility, Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack said the nation was about to embark on "one of the largest logistic tasks Australia has ever undertaken".

"It's not going to be easy, it's not going to go flawlessly," he said.

All one can say.... is how long have they had to plan this.. it is not like they doing nothing else......  wouldn't trust any of them  making my toast in the morning...

All most fell off of soap box.....it would be funny if is wasn't true   lol     Don

16 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It’s the old political marketing strategy.

Announce you are considering something.

Announce you may look into something

Announce you might have an enquiry

Announce there may be promising results

Announce you are discussing the results

Announce ............

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

OMG

a quote from ABC News Site    a few minutes ago

While touring a DHL cold-chain logistics facility, Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack said the nation was about to embark on "one of the largest logistic tasks Australia has ever undertaken".

"It's not going to be easy, it's not going to go flawlessly," he said.

All one can say.... is how long have they had to plan this.. it is not like they doing nothing else......  wouldn't trust any of them  making my toast in the morning...

All most fell off of soap box.....it would be funny if is wasn't true   lol     Don

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does it.