Remarks By Arnold Donald

mcrcruiser

There is a huge difference between  putting out a statement that they are 'contemplating' start up in May and actually doing it.

Cruise lines have a huge interest in keeping cruisers on the hook to keep existing reservations, FCC's etc. and to encourage more bookings.  

I believe that putting a great deal of stock in these statements  should be tempered by cruise line financial interests.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Celebrity is contemplating start-up in May with initial sailings at 50-60% capacity.

It will be interesting to see how the cruise lines 'dis-invite' guests should they have oversold their yet-to-be-CDC-approved re-start capacities.    Scott.  

image.png.8e431e789008325fa772e7f94e706d57.png

source:  https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/CDC-Conditional-Sail-Order_10_30_2020-p.pdf   

23 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Sorry to hear that. It is beyond awful that Tom Brady can get $1million, but a business person struggling through no fault of their own is left out.

Why would you go so far off topic with your post? This has nothing to do with Tom Brady and the money he receives. He has a signed negotiated contract with his employer that stipulates how he will get paid,  what he will get paid and any incentive payments for certain milestones. Tom Brady did not receive nor will he receive any government assistance payments concerning COVID 19.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billbunger said:

Why would you go so far off topic with your post? This has nothing to do with Tom Brady and the money he receives. He has a signed negotiated contract with his employer that stipulates how he will get paid,  what he will get paid and any incentive payments for certain milestones. Tom Brady did not receive nor will he receive any government assistance payments concerning COVID 19.

NO, NO, NO, Tom Brady got an almost $1million loan from the stimulus program. I was not referring to his football contract.

Tom Brady's health and wellness company received a $1 million PPP loan (thedenverchannel.com)

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 8:03 AM, terrydtx said:

Its not just the cruise lines who are having zero oncome, my TA also has had almost zero income during this pandemic. She doesn't have the ability to borrow from equity firms like CCL.

Ours is in the same boat, but at least her DH has a good job, so they are not hurting too bad during these trying times. 

5 hours ago, Indianadaytripper said:

With what Mr. Donald stated and 2021 WC itinerary I can’t see that cruise leaving port. I hope I’m wrong

I think 2021 was long ago cancelled.  Are you thinking of 2022?  If so, I share your doubts.

• Like 3

On 1/28/2021 at 1:10 PM, ontheweb said:

NO, NO, NO, Tom Brady got an almost $1million loan from the stimulus program. I was not referring to his football contract.

Sorry I misunderstood, I did think you where referring to his Tampa Bay contract. Thanks for the article link. I do not recall reading or hearing about the health care company he owns receiving government funds.

We have a cruise on Koninsdam  for Feb 2 ,2022 to Hawaii which final payment is in October  25 ,2021  .I marked that date for October 10th  because if I feel this cruise will not come to fruition we will cancel  .My reasoning is based on when  we will see  Herd Immunity   just  here in the USA . Canada will be far behind us & I have no idea about Europe ,Australia ie . whose people also enjoy cruising  .All these countries .Continents have to reach at least herd immunity  .

The Herd immunity level is vital so we all can some what get back to a normal type life

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

My reasoning is based on when  we will see  Herd Immunity   just  here in the USA . Canada will be far behind us...

The Herd immunity level is vital so we all can some what get back to a normal type life

Hmmm. Actually, Canadians are willing to be vaccinated...

https://torontosun.com/news/national/most-canadians-now-want-covid-19-vaccine-asap-poll

Typically, Canadians are slow. But, we'll get to the finish line. Thanks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

My reasoning is based on when  we will see  Herd Immunity   just  here in the USA . Canada will be far behind us & I have no idea about Europe ,Australia ie .

Not sure why you state Canada will be behind you.  Just because you have many more cases of covid than we do doesn’t help with herd immunity.  (People in Brazil are being re-infected with the new variant).

The only thing that will bring us to herd immunity is the vaccine IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, billbunger said:

Sorry I misunderstood, I did think you where referring to his Tampa Bay contract. Thanks for the article link. I do not recall reading or hearing about the health care company he owns receiving government funds.

No problem. I guess I could have avoided it if I had found a link for my original post that I mentioned Brady getting government help for his health care company while a struggling TA is denied help. Somehow Brady with a $25 million salary and a supermodel wife who makes even more money than he does could have a business survive without government help.

I just thought everyone was aware of this. I should not have assumed that.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Not sure why you state Canada will be behind you.  Just because you have many more cases of covid than we do doesn’t help with herd immunity.  (People in Brazil are being re-infected with the new variant).

The only thing that will bring us to herd immunity is the vaccine IMO.

sorry you miss understood 'as all I was pointing out is that there is a huge lack of vaccines in Canada presently .We have vaccines here but ,still we are well under the promised quantities of vaccine  injections by government   . You are cotrrect about the new strains  which have developed   & what we  "hear " is that  so far the Pfizer & Moderna vaccines have some ability to block the new strains but not even close to what had been blocked before the new strains came about  . 

Imo the entire world is more at risk because the vaccines  have not come out in huge quantities yet  & that gives this virus the opportunities to mutate  ;which we can see from the UK ,Brazil & South Africa .The longer it takes to get shots of vaccines into peoples arms the faster the virus has time to keep mutating . That presents another problem is Big Pharma has to go back to the drawing board so to speak & develop boosters or even new vaccines . Thus ,here is the USA might mean new trials with further delays before our FDA approves of the boosters or new vaccines 

At this time I am now in doubt  that there is a 100% that we sail to Hawaii on  Koningsdam on Feb 2 ,2022  .My Reason is because of my above statements .This then would definitely place Carnival corporation is a  dire financial straight jacket

I have  placed on my calendar Oct 10 ,2021 to reflect whether we should pay final payment dues October 25 ,2021 for the above Koningsdam cruise to Hawaii  .It is quite a expensive  18 night cruise

Following  this cruise we booked a 10 night Alaska Cruise for September 7 ,2022 R/T from San Francisco  & then another cruise April 29 ,2023 

None of us have crystal balls but we certainly hope & pray that this virus disappears with the use of vaccines

Edited by mcrcruiser

I would be surprised if cruising at anything close to full capacity and without masks becomes viable before 2023-2024 (or even 2025). The issue now is that there are likely to be so many variants of the Covid virus in circulation, most of which haven't even been identified yet, and of which some will be less susceptible to current vaccines, that it will take much longer than previously supposed to reach herd immunity, if that's even possible. Many experts believe that everyone will need not only one of the current vaccines but also additional boosters against various emerging strains to get the virus in check (and perhaps never entirely eradicated). This may be a depressingly drawn-out process. The much-maligned cruise industry will be dead last in line to be get a green flag by health authorities. 

This article gives a good perspective on the situation with emerging variants: https://www.wired.com/story/worrisome-new-coronavirus-strains-are-emerging-why-now/

5 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I would be surprised if cruising at anything close to full capacity and without masks becomes viable before 2023-2024 (or even 2025). The issue now is that there are likely to be so many variants of the Covid virus in circulation, most of which haven't even been identified yet, and of which some will be less susceptible to current vaccines, that it will take much longer than previously supposed to reach herd immunity, if that's even possible. Many experts believe that everyone will need not only one of the current vaccines but also additional boosters against various emerging strains to get the virus in check (and perhaps never entirely eradicated). This may be a depressingly drawn-out process. The much-maligned cruise industry will be dead last in line to be get a green flag by health authorities. 

This article gives a good perspective on the situation with emerging variants: https://www.wired.com/story/worrisome-new-coronavirus-strains-are-emerging-why-now/

I wish I could argue with this but I can’t.  I think like many I thought the vaccine would return us some semblance of normalcy later this year, even the experts have predicted that.  Now I am afraid cruising will not return for a long time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I wish I could argue with this but I can’t.  I think like many I thought the vaccine would return us some semblance of normalcy later this year, even the experts have predicted that.  Now I am afraid cruising will not return for a long time. 

I reluctantly agree. I’m starting to think cruising will return slowly, and in a reduced form. In spite of how long as the flu has been around, there is no herd immunity for flu and no one even expects there to be. I still think the answer to Covid lies with the vaccine, but just like the flu vaccine it may need tweaking every year as the new variants continue to crop up.

• Like 1

I believe some people need to regain a firm grip on reality when it comes to cruising and covid.

This is going to be, as it has for the last 10 months or so, a long and winding road with surprises along the way.  

No, cruises will not start up next month.  And they may not start up when Arnold Donald says they will.   It is anyone's guess.   

Who thought last March or April that cruising would be out of bounds in Jan 21, or May 21 or possibly all of 2021.

Edited by iancal

Here's what you could expect. I went to a college football game last year in a state where COVID restrictions were not too strict. Food & beverage in the suites are akin to the Lido setup. But this time, you started in the line wearing a mask and they gave you a bag. Popcorn? They tossed it in the bag. Nachos? Same drill. All through the line. You then sat down, removed mask and ate. When finished, mask went back on, tossed the bag and started all over again. Half the hotels I stayed at had no food or beverage service. Forget getting your room cleaned daily. One even wanted us to toss dirty towels into the hallway (a policy that made no sense to me from a sanitation standpoint).

So the cruise lines have much to work out and then there are the ports.  Let us not forget what Noro did on the ships.

The things that made cruising fun and easy are now problems that need to be worked out. I don't see it happening in 2021.

On 1/30/2021 at 8:36 PM, mariner said:

Here's what you could expect

Interesting to read what you posted.  If such an experience is going to be the "new normal" for the near future, I won't be cruising.  I won't be traveling.  

On 1/30/2021 at 8:36 PM, mariner said:

The things that made cruising fun and easy are now problems that need to be worked out. I don't see it happening in 2021.

Those issues can be resolved, but whether they will be to the satisfaction/potential enjoyment of those of who have considerable cruise histories?  Will those "resolutions" encourage us to once again cruise?  

2020 was a year of "what now?"  2021 begins with the same question.  But, with the development of the vaccines, there is  more hope that once what was "normal" may become "normal" again.  

On 1/26/2021 at 3:29 PM, mcrcruiser said:

Have raised more that $19 billion through borrowing and new equity and have enough to go through 2021 with no revenue.

And, if the 4th Quarter of 2021 ends with no/little revenue, what then?  

On 1/26/2021 at 3:29 PM, mcrcruiser said:

Will be a staggered restart with a few ships at first. Expect full fleet to be sailing by the end of 2021.

Staggered restart?  Yes.  Full fleet sailing at the end of 2021?  One can hope, but it won't happen, I don't think.