Cruise to nowhere in UK

Pet

15 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I agree that there are parts of Dublin further out that are interesting.Last time we were there we caught trains to a couple of coastal villages.I am just not keen on the actual centre.Its the west coast that makes me want to do a cruise round Ireland

The problem is that cruising round the coast doesn't actually allow you to see much of the coastal scenery itself.You really need to do a land tour to experience the wild west coast. For example, no Saga cruise visits any port on the west coast of Ireland. (Now waiting to be proven wrong!)

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The problem is that cruising round the coast doesn't actually allow you to see much of the coastal scenery itself.You really need to do a land tour to experience the wild west coast. For example, no Saga cruise visits any port on the west coast of Ireland. (Now waiting to be proven wrong!)

Saga visits Bantry Bay and Killybegs.I realise that a land tour of the west coast is a better option but one thing I like about cruising is the need to only unpack once!

6 minutes ago, john watson said:

I was thinking a "cruise to nowhere" meant leaving Southampton sailing along seven days then callingb back to Southampton without stopping at any ports.  

Regards John

I think you are correct. I  feel  that if there were a couple of stops, (less than usual but still something) I would be interested but not just a scenic cruise

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Indeed, that is why Norway is an ideal destination, you can get really close to the scenery. There are also some coastal areas there that might be suitable like the Lofoten Islands etc. How about the Faroe Islands, I was very impressed with the majestic mountainous scenery there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Indeed, that is why Norway is an ideal destination, you can get really close to the scenery. There are also some coastal areas there that might be suitable like the Lofoten Islands etc. How about the Faroe Islands, I was very impressed with the majestic mountainous scenery there.

This is exactly what I am hoping my mid-June cruise plan B will be Dave. 

11 hours ago, ann141 said:

I agree that might be a problemWe may just have to book with Saga or FO. In fact I really wanted to book the Saga Round Ireland cruise in June.I realise it will probably be cancelled but now that Saga require vaccination before you cruise I doubt that my hubby and I will have had both jabs by June.Saga (and/or) FO visit Killybegs and also Bantry Bay by tender though i realise their ships are smaller

One year Oriana was doing a 7 night cruise (4 ports) to Ireland that included Killybegs, I really wanted to do it but hubby wasn’t keen. I can’t remember if it didn’t go because Oriana was sold or if it was sold after that . Shame I reckon I could have persuaded him eventually!

• Like 1

We have done a couple of 'cruise to nowhere' cruises, but very short ones! In 1991 we won a trade competition for a cruise on QE2, just a couple of nights out of Southampton round Lyme Bay and back, our first ever cruise!  Had quite a lot of cruises on P&O after that, but fell out with them over a transfer of a cruise in 2009 and looked elsewhere. We went to a Cruise show at Excel and  booked a cruise with Celebrity at the show, and  as a bonus were offered an overnight stay on Equinox in Southampton proir to it going into service. Was a bit surprised that we actually sailed out, as we were only 'at sea' for around 8 hours!  We often stay on the ship whilst in port, we have been to Vigo over a dozen times, and there's only so much you can do, love being on the ship when its quiet!

17 hours ago, zap99 said:

Hi Moley. Can you have a word in the appropriate ear. We are on Iona to Norway at the end of August. If the choice is cancel, or just a scenic non landing jaunt around the fjords, we vote for the later ( a bit of extra OBC would sweeten the pill).🤣

If I had that influence.... but I’m in a similar cruise at a similar time and support your thoughts!

17 hours ago, ann141 said:

Do you think it may be possible if doing a cruise round GB to get off the ship at a few ports or do you think it more likely that it would just be scenic cruising?

It will depend upon the local restrictions at the time.

17 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

Interesting to see how may cruise ships have now started cruising again already and due to start soon.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24279-cruise-ships-back-in-service-february-2021-update.html

Also noticed that AIDAsol also includes Southampton on its 7 day itinerary.

As restrictions stand, they’re not getting off!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

Would consider it if it allowed people to join and leave each day.  Bit like an expensive bus.  We could join at Edinburgh sail for 7 days and get off at Edinburgh again.  Same say for Liverpool etc.

This is pretty much what I said earlier, follow the MSC model, we have lots of ports around the UK and Ireland that would work for a lot of people.

30 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

This is pretty much what I said earlier, follow the MSC model, we have lots of ports around the UK and Ireland that would work for a lot of people.

On our Princess  'Round the British Isles' cruise some passengers embarked and disembarked at Dublin and Le Havre (rather a stretch of the imagination to include them as UK ports!)

Edited by ann141

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

One year Oriana was doing a 7 night cruise (4 ports) to Ireland that included Killybegs, I really wanted to do it but hubby wasn’t keen. I can’t remember if it didn’t go because Oriana was sold or if it was sold after that . Shame I reckon I could have persuaded him eventually!

I did that one Sue, on Oriana, in 2017 or 18 I think. I absolutely loved it. I booked a morning tour into Dublin,then, on our return, got straight on the shuttle bus and went back to wander some more on my own. I really liked Dublin and would love to do that same cruise again - even though it won't be on Oriana. Another place I loved was Cobh - beautiful church/cathedral overlooking the town. Lovely memories. Jane. X

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ann141 said:

On our Princess  'Round the British Isles' cruise some passengers embarked and disembarked at Dublin and Le Havre (rather a stretch of the imagination to include them as UK ports!)

That’s what has put us off ‘British Isles’ cruises to date. Not remotely interested in Dublin or French Ports and Guernsey is also a wasted day as we have been several times and as it’s a tender port my wife can no longer get off anyway.

14 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I did that one Sue, on Oriana, in 2017 or 18 I think. I absolutely loved it. I booked a morning tour into Dublin,then, on our return, got straight on the shuttle bus and went back to wander some more on my own. I really liked Dublin and would love to do that same cruise again - even though it won't be on Oriana. Another place I loved was Cobh - beautiful church/cathedral overlooking the town. Lovely memories. Jane. X

Sounds lovely, if I’d had known Oriana was going to be sold I would have booked it! Looked a lovely itinerary.

55 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think there is no other country like UK that has so many ports. Its like a cruise lover capital. I like it that you can cruise pretty much from anywhere. Its very convenient 

We called into Belfast on our QE round-Britain. The Titanic Museum was top of our to-do list and certainly didn't disappoint. I would highly recommend it. If you want to do it fully and have a refreshment break, you need to allow half a day. You can avoid queues by buying the tickets in advance.

• Like 3

We were booked on the Cunard 7 day uk cruise in april this year. They cancelled them round about Christmas.

I fear there will not be any cruising this year. To be safe all the passengers would need to be vaccinated and the crew (in their home countries). Other lines may be doing the odd cruises under current conditions, but I would not like to chance it. 

NCL has had norwegian encore  here for months in Southampton. She is now going to sail to the far east, taking all crew members that are on various ships en route. Some were brought over late last year, for the resumption of cruising. Obviously NCL has decided nothing will be happening, so they are sending them back home.

Year's ago if a ship sailed outside the twelve mile limit you had left the United Kingdom and therefore it was permissible to sell you duty free products, alcoholic drink, cigarettes etc.  This being the case one day cruises were scheduled as well as longer ones which did not call at any other ports before returning to the port of origin.  colloquially these became known as Booze Cruises.

Regards John

• Like 1

Went on a few Booze Cruises from Southampton when Townsend Thoresen  and P&O cross channel ferries sailed from there. The ferry terminal was where Ocean Village is now. Never went on them when the ferries moved to the Skates down the road, I've only been to Portsmouth about 5 times in my life a Sotonian just doesn't want to go there!

• Like 1

We did a cruise to nowhere aboard Aurora in 2003.

It was a one nighter in Southampton. We got on board at 3 pm and our party of 8 drank until the small hours before disembarking Sunday morning having had little sleep!

All I remember was the Crow's nest, the restaurant, a night club and the disabled cabin we were allocated which had the door open outwards into the corridor. Very strange!