Balcony overlooked

yorkie46

Azura is a ship built on the Grand Class model -- I've sailed on several Princess ships in this class (so called because Grand Princess was the first with this design).

The balconies are "stepped" on this ship, so each level is slightly exposed to the level above. I recall there is a lower deck or two (the lowest ones with balconies) that may have some balconies that are completely covered from above. The rest are, to a greater or lesser degree, visible to the balconies above.

The level of intrusiveness -- well that depends on the individual and how much absolute privacy matters to you. For the most part people on the balconies above are sitting on their chairs and looking out to sea rather than standing at the rail and looking straight down....

The advantage to those balconies is the size.  They are huge!

I, however, am not a fan of them.  The outer portion of the balcony is TOTALLY exposed to everyone above.  This is a picture I took on a ship with similar design.

enhance

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

The advantage to those balconies is the size.  They are huge!

I, however, am not a fan of them.  The outer portion of the balcony is TOTALLY exposed to everyone above.  This is a picture I took on a ship with similar design.

enhance

My attitude would be "who cares if they are exposed".  What are you planning to do on the balcony?

DON

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

My attitude would be "who cares if they are exposed".  What are you planning to do on the balcony?

DON

The OP asked how "intrusive" it is, so what better way to answer than with a picture?  

For my likes, it has nothing to do with anything I'm planning to do on the balcony.  I just prefer privacy.  Others don't mind.  Different strokes.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yorkie46 said:

I have a Superior De Luxe cabin booked on Azura-D Deck and I have just noticed that my confirmation states that my balcony is overlooked.Does anyone have any experience as to how intrusive this can be?

@yorkie46

Howdy!  emo22.gif 

Welcome back to the boards! I see it has been awhile since you have posted.

Thank you for starting a new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum for general questions regarding cruising. 👍 

Since your inquiry concerns a specific ship, I have moved your thread to the P&O Cruises ( UK ) forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed Azura frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

5 hours ago, yorkie46 said:

I have a Superior De Luxe cabin booked on Azura-D Deck and I have just noticed that my confirmation states that my balcony is overlooked.Does anyone have any experience as to how intrusive this can be?

We have had them on Ventura and anyone above can look down and see you.

At least with these cabins you get extras.

Bath.

2 TVs.

Bottle of Champagne.

Box of nice Belgian chocolates.

Graham.

IMG_20180824_132503.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

We had a C deck cabin on Azura which is directly above D deck and as Graham said you have no privacy on the D deck balcony as everyone above can see you. There is no 'roof' so you have no shelter from the weather however we were too busy enjoying ourselves to worry about watching people on the balcony below.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aquahound said:

The OP asked how "intrusive" it is, so what better way to answer than with a picture?  

For my likes, it has nothing to do with anything I'm planning to do on the balcony.  I just prefer privacy.  Others don't mind.  Different strokes.....

Sorry for being so snippy.  It was uncalled for.  The comment that somebody made about protection from sun and precipitation was valid.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

It’s personal choice isn’t it?  I prefer C but have travelled on D deck too.

I don’t think you need worry about being overlooked - the fact is, yes, you are directly below C deck but, in my experience, C deck passengers simply don’t go to the edge of their balcony and make a deliberate effort to look down on the people below.  That is doubly true on sea days, when all the balcony gaze is out to sea.  I will confess to enjoying looking down from the balcony at the various activity when in port, and at those times it is inevitable that people on the deck below come into view - even though they are not what one is actually looking at.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Another vote for C deck.Larger balconies and part sun/ part shade which I like

And another, though, as others have said, I've never spent time gazing down at the balconies below. Far worse than gazing downwards was the time I glanced at the partition area between my balcony and next door's - reflected in it was my naturist neighbour, who was not exactly a vision of loveliness.:classic_ohmy:

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

It’s personal choice isn’t it?  I prefer C but have travelled on D deck too.

I don’t think you need worry about being overlooked - the fact is, yes, you are directly below C deck but, in my experience, C deck passengers simply don’t go to the edge of their balcony and make a deliberate effort to look down on the people below.  That is doubly true on sea days, when all the balcony gaze is out to sea.  I will confess to enjoying looking down from the balcony at the various activity when in port, and at those times it is inevitable that people on the deck below come into view - even though they are not what one is actually looking at.

Yes, you are right, it is personal choice, I just love having the sofa instead

of just one chair, love the bath tub plus shower and love the 2TVs!

• Like 2

I’m always concerned about objects being accidentally dropped or thrown from above. It might be an irrational fear but the damage done could be catastrophic.

We always take a balcony but the bottom tier always looks vulnerable.

On 2/1/2021 at 3:16 PM, yorkie46 said:

We had a cabin on D deck on Ventura (sister ship_ and it didn't bother us at all. (Having said that we didn't like the cabin but it was probably too far forward and we hated it D114)

I suppose it all depends on what you will be doing on your balcony 😉

4 hours ago, pitcrew said:

I’m always concerned about objects being accidentally dropped or thrown from above. It might be an irrational fear but the damage done could be catastrophic.

We always take a balcony but the bottom tier always looks vulnerable.

Have had a number of balconies that were staggered with those above and below us. It has never been an issue

On 2/1/2021 at 8:52 PM, grapau27 said:

Bath.

2 TVs.

Bottle of Champagne.

Graham.

IMG_20180824_132503.jpg

Just be aware that though it has a bath, if you are tall the shower over the bath is far too low and useless  .......................................... hubby not happy

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 8:52 PM, grapau27 said:

Bath.

2 TVs.

Bottle of Champagne.

Graham.

While the bath, TVs, Champagne and chocolates are good are you sure you have to take the Graham as well?

• Haha 3