Booking flights...should I ?

happygo

We have an Alaskan cruise on the Bliss booked for this June. We still really want to go on the cruise but I am petrified to make flight reservations considering that we have no idea if the cruise will actually happen.  I don't want to make the reservation for flights and be screwed if the sailing doesn't happen. Curious how others who have upcoming cruise plans are handling this.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, happygo said:

We have an Alaskan cruise on the Bliss booked for this June. We still really want to go on the cruise but I am petrified to make flight reservations considering that we have no idea if the cruise will actually happen.  I don't want to make the reservation for flights and be screwed if the sailing doesn't happen. Curious how others who have upcoming cruise plans are handling this.  Thanks!

Opinions are like you know what, everybody's got one but imo, June is  still too early. This fall maybe, but not June.

Of all the destinations that are most likely not going to happen, the Alaska cruises are at the top of the list.  You not only have no cruise ships operating, Canada says no still.   Unless you book on something like SWA that will let you do a no cost cancellation up until flight time almost, I wouldn't lock any money up on that trip.  My opinion.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roger001 said:

Of all the destinations that are most likely not going to happen, the Alaska cruises are at the top of the list.  You not only have no cruise ships operating, Canada says no still.   Unless you book on something like SWA that will let you do a no cost cancellation up until flight time almost, I wouldn't lock any money up on that trip.  My opinion.  

Agreed. 

10 hours ago, happygo said:

Last fall, our cruise was cancelled.

Lost our flight money to Qantas.

Filled out a form thru Qantas, for a return of our  money spent on seat upgrade. It was approved. Qantas said we would see it back on our Credit Card within 8 weeks...

that was 5 month ago.   😞

Many airlines are offering free change fees. I booked the flight for my January 2021 cruise back in April. Since it had free change fees, I just transferred it to my alternative vacation destination. I'm hoping to book the flight for my January 2022 cruise before they stop the free change fees and prices rise. Still a few more weeks before they'll be available.

I do have travel insurance if I can't.

3 hours ago, roger001 said:

Unless you book on something like SWA that will let you do a no cost cancellation up until flight time almost, I wouldn't lock any money up on that trip.  My opinion.  

All of the major airlines are doing this now and even on SWA remember that is is not a refund, but a credit for future travel.

12 hours ago, happygo said:

Short answer, NO I would not book for a June 2021 cruise to Alaska. Cruises through April are all canceled and I don't feel there will be Alaskan cruises this year.

12 hours ago, happygo said:

Personally, and this is of course just my opinion, I would have no problem with booking the airfare. The airlines are being extremely flexible with change fees and future travel vouchers. I haven't seen this much flexibility in a very long time. One advantage is that if your cruise doesn't happen, you can always use the money on a flight somewhere else, such as a land-based vacation. I'm skeptical about the cruise portion for the same reasons others are, but that shouldn't necessarily prevent you from making an airline reservation. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. 😀

33 minutes ago, zdcatc12 said:

All of the major airlines are doing this now and even on SWA remember that is is not a refund, but a credit for future travel.

We just fly on points and they are fully restored into our account.  Same as future credit though.  Love SWA.  

1 hour ago, njkate said:

Short answer, NO I would not book for a June 2021 cruise to Alaska. Cruises through April are all canceled and I don't feel there will be Alaskan cruises this year.

Correct, this just came out. Pretty sure that they will all be cancelled soon: 

The Canadian Government on Thursday issued a new order which will prohibit cruise vessels in all Canadian waters until February 28, 2022. 

The ruling effectively kills the Alaska cruise season for foreign-flagged ships as well as other cruise seasons in the Great Lakes and Canada/New England for ships under foreign flag. Only a handful of smaller ships fly a U.S. flag. 

3 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

5 hours ago, njkate said:

Correct, this just came out. Pretty sure that they will all be cancelled soon: 

The Canadian Government on Thursday issued a new order which will prohibit cruise vessels in all Canadian waters until February 28, 2022. 

The ruling effectively kills the Alaska cruise season for foreign-flagged ships as well as other cruise seasons in the Great Lakes and Canada/New England for ships under foreign flag. Only a handful of smaller ships fly a U.S. flag. 

Thanks, do you have a link, please?

4 minutes ago, jemz1949 said:

Whose law/rule is it that requires the ship to make a stop in Canada?  

I understand... it’s a frequently asked question, since it does not make sense to us commoners. 🙂

It has to do with politics & $$$