What to do with the HAL ships that were committed to Alaska in 2021?

vicd1969

Given that the 2021 Alaska season is likely done for, and HAL was committing 6 ships there, how feasible is it to shift them to other destinations in 2021? Caribbean and Mexica would be off-season in summer and for low margins, if any all. I would imagine competing cruise lines will likely re-deploy a significant part of their Alaska fleet to Caribbean or Mexico. Europe may have limits on cruises. Asia/Australia are a no-go. Is it economically feasible and practical to mothball several ships and then re-activate them in 2022? 

So I do have some questions for the OP.  Given that the US's CDC has not approved any cruise ships to go anywhere how will this work?  And given that no Caribbean Island has shown a willingness to open up to cruise ships how is that going to work?  As to Mexico, perhaps.  But I am now in Mexico (we live in Puerto Vallarta during the Winter) and we are "locked down" with some major restrictions because of a surging COVID issue.  One of the restrictions in our State (Jalisco) is that the Governor has ordered all folks 60+ to stay home!  So how will that work with cruise ships?  While some of the restrictions are ignored by those of us who live here, the Mexican Federal authorities will certainly enforce the Governor's orders at the port which at this moment would mean nobody over the age 60 could leave the ship.  Or course the rules could change at any time (they have already changed a couple of times in the past month) which might cause some other problems for cruises.

Hank

• Like 2

I wonder if cruise lines will ask for the Jones Act to be suspended for a year to enable cruise ships to start up when they are ready allowing Alaska cruises.  It may be a moot point since the season ends mostly in September and ships may just be gearing up then.  We are supposed to be on the Rotterdam in October and I am so hoping.  Crossing my fingers...

1 hour ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

I wonder if cruise lines will ask for the Jones Act to be suspended for a year to enable cruise ships to start up when they are ready allowing Alaska cruises.  It may be a moot point since the season ends mostly in September and ships may just be gearing up then.  We are supposed to be on the Rotterdam in October and I am so hoping.  Crossing my fingers...

They can ask, but it is extremely unlikely that they will get what they ask for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

This has been discussed any times. The cruise lines are not requesting any alteration or waiver, and the Biden Administration has indicated it won't be messing with the Jones Act, or the law that actually matters, the PVSA. The Jones Act is cargo, not people.

Plus, the Biden Administration is all about the science...which doesn't favor this idea.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The good news for logistics of the Alaska fleet is that none of them are there or are en-route.  So if it looks cruising might happen somewhere in the world starting in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2021 then they could be allocated for the open markets. 

A few Cruises are taking place in Asia, (with loads of restrictions) RCI seems pretty confident it will be able to sail in the Caribbean later this year if not from mainland US, then home porting from Barbados and San Juan, PR.

As for Europe, they are on a similar infection/vaccine timeline as the US, except for the UK which hopes to have all adults vaccinated by June 25. So maybe UK cruises with primarily UK residents in the 2nd half of 2021? 

Remember as soon as it is feasible and permitted  and the cruise lines can generate revenue again with paying customers  they will start cruising.

-Paul

Edited by kangforpres

13 hours ago, nocl said:

They can ask, but it is extremely unlikely that they will get what they ask for.

There is a petition circulating for this:

https://www.change.org/p/the-biden-administration-temporary-lift-of-the-jones-act?cs_tk=Ai9QJCyP-pwcBIqkI2AAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvFjjWtqjj9Uvtrey9--0R5o%3D&utm_campaign=bc30e7a67dd741539d3022d99e7e66d2&utm_content=initial_v0_0_1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=recruit_sign_digest&utm_term=cs

Edited by Love the beach

14 hours ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

Sorry I quoted the wrong post above...can't seem to delete it. There is a petition circulating about this:

https://www.change.org/p/the-biden-administration-temporary-lift-of-the-jones-act?cs_tk=Ai9QJCyP-pwcBIqkI2AAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvFjjWtqjj9Uvtrey9--0R5o%3D&utm_campaign=bc30e7a67dd741539d3022d99e7e66d2&utm_content=initial_v0_0_1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=recruit_sign_digest&utm_term=cs

14 hours ago, kangforpres said:

A few Cruises are taking place in Asia, (with loads of restrictions) RCI seems pretty confident it will be able to sail in the Caribbean later this year if not from mainland US, then home porting from Barbados and San Juan, PR.

Curious why you, or RCI thinks they will be able to sail out of San Juan before the US...Puerto Rico is part of the US, and subject to the CDC's rulings.

• Like 2

History shows BIG unexpected events can and do happen. This year Covid-19 hammered cruising financially. Thousands of 100% vaccinated crew & passengers could sail in 2021 I suppose; but at what profit? Further, who would take them, as the World is not yet fully vaccinated?? Coco Cay?? Cruises to nowhere?? I think not.