Dumped for a Charter cruise

jofrank

We were just informed that our November 8, 2021cruise  on the Navigator of the Seas has been cancelled because Royal has chosen to allow a charter group to take over the ship for that sailing. This is the first I have ever heard of such a thing and I am rather bothered by this.They are offering several options including a switch to another date but the date that would work for us is not included. Anybody ever have this happen to them? Any suggestions ?TIA

• 3 months later...
On 2/11/2021 at 6:32 PM, jofrank said:

This is the first I have ever heard of such a thing and I am rather bothered by this. Any suggestions ?

Cruiseline chartering and canceling existing bookings is not rare, though having it happen this close in is somewhat rare (though nothing really is in the COVID era). Take the refund.

• Thanks 1

I don't think it is a charter. @jofrank posted this back in February. I think their cruise was probably cancelled because of the redeployment. And Navigator has to get to CA somehow. Posted on another thread: • Navigator of the Seas: November 19, 2021 departing from Los Angeles, California

38 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I don't think it is a charter. @jofrank posted this back in February. I think their cruise was probably cancelled because of the redeployment. And Navigator has to get to CA somehow. Posted on another thread: • Navigator of the Seas: November 19, 2021 departing from Los Angeles, California

Yep !!! She needs to get to our coast.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Cruiseline chartering and canceling existing bookings is not rare, though having it happen this close in is somewhat rare (though nothing really is in the COVID era). Take the refund.

Andrew wondering what search Biker was doing to randomly find this post to revive it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What does Mario do when this happens to him? And in 20 - 23 years it must have done? Unlike jofrank this must really screw Mario over he books 2 years in advance so they say and would be defact homeless if that happens. 

Does Mario not try to get himself onto the charter? Could jofrank not do the same? Surely the charter company has to sell the cabins? And they won't start selling till AFTER they have the ship booked?

29 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Andrew wondering what search Biker was doing to randomly find this post to revive it?

None, sometimes a poster posts an RCI related thread some place else in CC, a mod may find it and move to the RCI section. 

Biker, who uses the "Next unread thread " link to review CC threads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

What does Mario do when this happens to him? And in 20 - 23 years it must have done? Unlike jofrank this must really screw Mario over he books 2 years in advance so they say and would be defact homeless if that happens. 

Does Mario not try to get himself onto the charter? Could jofrank not do the same? Surely the charter company has to sell the cabins? And they won't start selling till AFTER they have the ship booked?

Read the rest of the thread. Its not a charter

• Like 1

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

No.  There are plenty of charters that are closed group that the public cannot purchase cabins for

But how can the charter company be sure to sell out the cabins? They won't open sales until they have the ship secured? But surely the won't shell out of that kind of money unless they think it is coming back? And they don't have as much time to sell out of the ship as Royal or the agencies would?

Just now, ace2542 said:

But how can the charter company be sure to sell out the cabins? They won't open sales until they have the ship secured? But surely the won't shell out of that kind of money unless they think it is coming back? And they don't have as much time to sell out of the ship as Royal or the agencies would?

That's up to the charter company.

Many companies charter the ship for their employees only.  Other closed groups are similar

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 7:21 AM, ace2542 said:

It's well known that Mario has a condo in Miami... he would not be "homeless" if he had to take a random week off from cruising.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

It's well known that Mario has a condo in Miami... he would not be "homeless" if he had to take a random week off from cruising.

That would depend upon where he was booted off the ship wouldn't it? If he is Barcelona not much point in him coming back to Miami for what 3 or 4 days then flying back again. Better to get hotel in Barcelona for a week. Or jump onto a different ship.

6 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

That would depend upon where he was booted off the ship wouldn't it? If he is Barcelona not much point in him coming back to Miami for what 3 or 4 days then flying back again. Better to get hotel in Barcelona for a week. Or jump onto a different ship.

Since charters aren't last-minute changes, he would have plenty of time to arrange in advance to be on a different itinerary.  He does change ships from time to time, based on his needs and/or ship itinerary.  Given how much he cruises, I have no doubt that Royal would be willing to work with him to rearrange his dates/ships to accommodate a charter.