Passenger Vaccine Requirement up next?

Sam.Seattle

4 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

Right now, the USA have ordered and set to receive enough vaccines for 400,000,000 people by the end of July, not sure about the last 100,000,000 doses from Moderna or Pfizer.  These vaccines are for adults only (though it might not be hard to swap them with children's vaccine when available).  The USA has a population of 330,000,000.  Roughly half the population of the USA if surveys are accurate are hesitant about taking the vaccine. Once half the population is vaccinated, demand for the vaccine will start falling.  I suspect the drop in demand to begin sometime in May or June.  The maximum demand for adult's vaccine is, at most 250,000,000 full vaccinations (not doses), and that may be because of vaccine requirements for travel and employment.  Not included are the children under puberty who will need their own vaccine and the anti-vaxxers, plus a small group of people hesitant taking any vaccine without that much history.  What are we going to do with these extra 150,000,000 full vaccines (not doses)?  This doesn't include deals we made with Astra-Zeneca and Novavax where the USA had ordered 100,000,000 doses each provided they are approved.  I think the USA will be selling these surplus vaccines as well as giving them away as aid to other countries by sometime during the summer, most likely July.  This is assuming production does not hit any snags or the USA postpones its delivery of vaccines.   So, theoretically, the crews could be vaccinated sometime this summer, but the problem will be destinations may take alot longer to re-open.    

I like it. Plenty of vaccines available by June with plenty left over by the end of summer depending on how many folks don't want to get it. Couple of thoughts come to mind.

Can some of those "extra" doses the US purchased be used for the inevitable booster shots that might be deemed necessary next Fall? 

Also, with regards to the initial "free" doses, will there come a time once widely available at your nearby pharmacy, that they will no longer be free? My projection is if/when that time does come, a lot of those folks curently sitting on the fence for whatever reason if given say a 30 day window, will finally decide to get it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I like it. Plenty of vaccines available by June with plenty left over by the end of summer depending on how many folks don't want to get it. Couple of thoughts come to mind.

Can some of those "extra" doses the US purchased be used for the inevitable booster shots that might be deemed necessary next Fall? 

Also, with regards to the initial "free" doses, will there come a time once widely available at your nearby pharmacy, that they will no longer be free? My projection is if/when that time does come, a lot of those folks curently sitting on the fence for whatever reason if given say a 30 day window, will finally decide to get it.

Those excess doses of vaccines will be the same as the one you are taking now.  Those booster shots which will be upgraded to handle the UK, South African, and Brazilian variants will be a different formula and will probably be available at the end of the year, provided testing is o.k.  Who knows it may be able to handle other variants like the "California" variant which is coming on the scene.  As for it being free, nothing is free - they are basically postponing the billing.  Your insurance will pay for it or Medicare will pay for it.  Well, next year your health insurance is more expensive.  Guess who paid for it?  They won't charge for the vaccine or booster shots, at least, not out of pocket because they want people to take these vaccines/boosters.  The big incentive will be if employers require vaccinations for employment (unless you are allergic to the vaccine, but fellow employees may treat you like a leper) and other countries will require vaccinations to visit their country (if you are allergic, you are out of luck).    

• Like 1

If you want to fly to a foreign country and that country requires a covid-19 vaccination to enter their country, do you think they care if you have an allergy to the covid-19 vaccine or not?  It may not be "fair", but as far as they are concerned, that's the law.  It may not preclude travel within the USA or to countries that do not have this requirement.  That is the new reality that I see coming.  It may or may not become permanent.  

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I think current surveys are saying up to 65-70% of the US adult population would now decide to get vaccinated.  This is great progress but still not enough.  You might be correct in that some of the people might decide based on factors such as free payment period for the vaccine expiring.  But most of the vaccine-adverse people are not going to change their minds for whatever reasons they have (anti-vaxxers, mistrust, fear of shots, safety perceptions, misinformation, but also some have specific and valid medical reasons too). 

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/538198-over-30-percent-of-americans-say-they-wont-get-covid-19-vaccine-poll

15 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

So severe allergies would preclude travel? Cruise? Flying?

Possibly.  However, there are now 2 different types of vaccines available, with 2-3 more coming soon.  If someone is allergic to one, they probably won't be allergic to another.  For those few people who are allergic to what's available right now, there are options.  The types of vaccines out and being developed are Nucleic Acid (Moderna and Pfizer), Adenovirus Vector (Johnson & Johnson & AstraZeneca), and Recombinant Protein and Adjuvant (Sanofi and Novavax).  So odds of someone being allergic to all of those is highly unlikely and I would say essentially zero.

However, the needs of the many far outweigh the needs of the few.  If you want to travel, get vaccinated.  Not just to protect yourself, but others. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I think current surveys are saying up to 65-70% of the US adult population would now decide to get vaccinated.  This is great progress but still not enough.  You might be correct in that some of the people might decide based on factors such as free payment period for the vaccine expiring.  But most of the vaccine-adverse people are not going to change their minds for whatever reasons they have (anti-vaxxers, mistrust, fear of shots, safety perceptions, misinformation, but also some have specific and valid medical reasons too). 

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/538198-over-30-percent-of-americans-say-they-wont-get-covid-19-vaccine-poll

What they say and what they will do is sometimes a little different especially if you throw in that little incentive where their employer requires vaccination plus foreign travel (even a r/t cruise from the USA) will require a vaccination.  The real anti-vaxxers I would estimate at less than 15%.  It is getting those non-anti-vaxxers in this 30-35% group to eventually take the vaccine that is the task at hand.  Time to develop a little vaccine history will help plus the J&J vaccine with its 1-dose regiment will help.  It would really help if they develop an oral vaccine, LOL.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

It would really help if they develop an oral vaccine, LOL.

An effective oral Covid vaccine might generate the much desired mucosal immune responses but it would be better to have an intranasal spray vaccine administration for this virus IMO.  Something like FluMist for Influenza.  So far the oral Covid vaccine in Clinical Trials has not been very good at inducing antibodies.

https://www.flumistquadrivalent.com/about-the-flu/when-is-flu-season.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/03/covid-vaccine-vaxart-says-its-oral-vaccine-got-promising-results.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7544966/

On 3/1/2021 at 11:19 AM, K.T.B. said:

Possibly.  However, there are now 2 different types of vaccines available, with 2-3 more coming soon.  If someone is allergic to one, they probably won't be allergic to another.  For those few people who are allergic to what's available right now, there are options.  The types of vaccines out and being developed are Nucleic Acid (Moderna and Pfizer), Adenovirus Vector (Johnson & Johnson & AstraZeneca), and Recombinant Protein and Adjuvant (Sanofi and Novavax).  So odds of someone being allergic to all of those is highly unlikely and I would say essentially zero.

However, the needs of the many far outweigh the needs of the few.  If you want to travel, get vaccinated.  Not just to protect yourself, but others. 

Right on!

1 hour ago, Diamond lover said:

Right on!

Not quite, if you think there are 4-5 possible vaccines, it is more like 3.  The 2 mRNA's are kissing cousins.  So is the J&J and Astra-Zeneca.  The third would be Novavax.  One thing about human nature, if you are allergic to one vaccine, you are quite hesitant about taking another, at least vaccines for the same purpose, even though they are made differently.  

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

Not quite, if you think there are 4-5 possible vaccines, it is more like 3.  The 2 mRNA's are kissing cousins.  So is the J&J and Astra-Zeneca.  The third would be Novavax.  One thing about human nature, if you are allergic to one vaccine, you are quite hesitant about taking another, at least vaccines for the same purpose, even though they are made differently.  

Each vaccine is somewhat different.  Regardless, is should be very easy to test for allergies for all the types.  Unless it's that one person in a billion, I doubt anyone would be allergic to all.

11 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

If you are allergic to the actual SPIKE antigen, then you would be allergic to all of the vaccines.  If you are allergic to a component in the formulations, then each vaccine would be different for allergies.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 9:40 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

We just got our first of two Pfizer shots and were issued a CDC card which we need to bring back when we get the second one which documents we received both shots. Once completed, we're going to laminate them and take them along with our passports whenever we fly somewhere or go on a cruise. Not quite sure how this is being handled in other countries, but we were under the assumption that was pretty common practice when someone gets vaccinated in the US. Is this not the case?

I am getting my 2nd Pfizer on 3/11 and was told by the nurse not to laminate it as we may need a booster and they would put it on the same card.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cathy p said:

I am getting my 2nd Pfizer on 3/11 and was told by the nurse not to laminate it as we may need a booster and they would put it on the same card.

Makes sense. Thanks! We've also now decided to get both shots added to our cumulative shot record kept by our doctor's office just in case.

Medical personnel with allergies have received the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.   When they revealed they had allergies they were closely watched after the vaccinations.   Many already carried epi pens.   You will need medical supervision, but you can get vaccinated.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 10:19 AM, K.T.B. said:

We both agree with Mr. Spock.  At least for the foreseeable future vaccines need to be required.  It is unfortunate that some people will not be able to get one for health reasons.  But until the infection rates from the virus slow down considerably, it would not be fair to them or to others onboard to allow them to cruise.  I feel the same way about children cruising.  Until they are able to be vaccinated, they should be subject to the same regulations as everyone else onboard (assuming we will be required to be vaccinated, which I hope will be the case).  Testing helps but is not foolproof due to timing issues.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Cathy p said:

We plan to keep the originals in a safe place, but laminate copies that could be carried with us as we travel.

Tom & Judy

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That's your right. But if you don't mind me asking, why don't you want to get a vaccine?

i have two brothers who have said the exact same thing. No vaccine but no reason why.  Yes your decision but why not. Please help me understand.  

3 hours ago, Himself said:

I am NOT getting the so called Vaccine.  I guess my cruising days are over.

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops this week encouraged Catholics to reject the Johnson & Johnson vaccine as it was developed from cells replicated from stem cells obtained during two abortions several decades ago. Are you refusing just the J&J vaccine, or all of the "so called" vaccines.